Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk 
Thread started 10 Jul 2013 (Wednesday) 02:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Vietnam

snapshot2011
570 posts
Joined May 2011

Jul 10, 2013 02:25 |  #1

Hi guys, looking at heading to Vietnam with a friend in 2 weeks for his work.

Just wanted to find out the ins and outs of Vietnam for lens selection. We worked out I can only take 7kg onboard which is gunna be tough with the kit I was going to take.

Looking at tripod being stowed in my main suitcase as it fits well along with battery chargers and tripod head.

Main bag for carryon is lower 350w and will have 1dx, 17-40, 24-105, 70-200mm and 2x extender.

Last time I checked for a flight this bag and contents were overweight and refused entry on the plane.

Out of the lens above would you suggest removing one?

sponsored links
magoosmc
980 posts
Gallery: 80 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Jul 10, 2013 05:52 |  #2

Can you wear a vest and put some of your gear in the pockets?

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/22055591@N05/a​lbums (external link)

Superdaantje
557 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 10, 2013 06:48 |  #3

I never had any problems with a bag that has more weight. But one off the things I experienced I always take to much. At this moment I'm in Korea and did take to many gear that I do not use. It is to warm to walk around with a full bag of dslr gear. So I use my fujifilm x pro1 the most.

When I bring the dslr then I use it with the 24-70 II (this lens my walk around lens) The 70-200 II and 16-35 II so far not used. The Lee filters and tripod. used twice (but didn't need it)

Next trip I will bring the fujifilm x pro1 + 18 and 35mm. Maybe the 5DIII + 24-70 II but thats it :D

Wagner.photography -  (external link) Workshops photography in the Netherlands & Indonesia -_-
Gear list (external link)

Jumpcut
182 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 12, 2013 10:35 |  #4

I went to Vietnam a few months ago with a 7d. I took a 11-16, 17-55, 24-105 and the efs 55-250. I left my 70-200 at home and was glad I did. 98% of my shots were with the two wider lenses. The other two lenses pretty much stayed in the suitcase.

If I was in your position I would ditch the 70-200 and extender.

Darren

5D III, 7D, 40D, EF-S 18-55 IS, EF-S 55-250 IS, EF 50 II, Tokina 11-16 f2.8, EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS, EF 24-70 F2.8L II, EF 70-200L f2.8 IS, EF 24-105L f4 IS, 580EXII, Elinchrom Skyports, 2xVivitar 285HV Flashes

Buckeye1
Goldmember
3,607 posts
Gallery: 77 photos
Joined May 2005

Jul 12, 2013 10:45 as a reply to  @ Jumpcut's post |  #5

I would not take the 17-40L. You can take a step or two back and get the same view most of the time with the 24-105L. I would keep the 70-200 as a candid shot lens...or may be get the 135L instead.

Go to a street name Nguyen Tri Phoung near Nag Sao and take some pictures for me...that was my stomping ground as a kid ;-)a

Enjoy the delicacies; eat lots of Pho (soup) and try a real mango!

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 13, 2013 22:28 |  #6

snapshot2011 wrote in post #16106977 (external link)
Hi guys, looking at heading to Vietnam with a friend in 2 weeks for his work.

Just wanted to find out the ins and outs of Vietnam for lens selection. We worked out I can only take 7kg onboard which is gunna be tough with the kit I was going to take.

Looking at tripod being stowed in my main suitcase as it fits well along with battery chargers and tripod head.

Main bag for carryon is lower 350w and will have 1dx, 17-40, 24-105, 70-200mm and 2x extender.

Last time I checked for a flight this bag and contents were overweight and refused entry on the plane.

Out of the lens above would you suggest removing one?

We need a bit information.

When are you going? If in a couple of months, you'll be right in the middle of the wet season. Hot, humid with a fair bit of rain so travel light.

How are you going to get around and where are you going? If you are relying on public transport like trains and buses, also travel light.

What do you intend to shoot?

By the way, I've tripped around Vietnam three times in the last 10 years. I've always travelled light. Get out of the cities and tourist traps and get into the countryside and more remote areas.

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

zarray
167 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jul 14, 2013 08:12 as a reply to  @ yogestee's post |  #7

17-40 is all you need. I went there last week with only a Fuji x20 but I felt i wanted wider...

5D Mark II | 5Dc |17-40 | 24-105 | 70-200 F2.8 IS | Sigma 50mm 1.4 | 580EX

armis
903 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2012

Jul 15, 2013 04:22 |  #8

Is that the 70-200 2.8 or one of the f/4s? If it's the 2.8, I'd suggest leaving that one home and taking long shots with the 24-105 and x2, and accepting the hit in IQ (and aperture, but there's usually enough light in Vietnam unless you're planning hand-held after dark situations).

My favourite subjects in Vietnam were temples and markets and landscapes, and either of the 17-40 or 24-150 can handle all of that. If you need to, pick one. If it were me and I had to take only one lens of all your stuff to Vietnam, I'd take the 24-105 considering the 1DX is full frame.

Fuji X-E2, 18-55 and 55-200 zooms, Samyang 12
www.wtbphoto.com (external link)

Exposure101
555 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2008

Jul 21, 2013 22:44 |  #9

I would travel light. If I could bring only one lens it would probably be the 17-55, 17-40, 24-70, or 24-105mm. I can't think of anything where you would want to shoot with a 70-200mm lens.

You probably don't want to attract too much attention with a big lens. And you should be careful when in Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) because purse snatching (read: camera/camera bag snatching) is prevalent and is big problem there. They would run or drive by and yank it right off of you. If you're on a moped you should be extra careful because you could fall off. If you're going to Hanoi you should also be careful too. I've heard that they take advantage of tourists (even Vietnamese visiting from the US). For the most part all the other major cities are okay (Da Nang, Nha Trang, etc.). Just use common sense and keep your gear safe. You'll have a blast! Have fun!

sponsored links

1,954 views & 0 likes for this thread
Vietnam
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.