Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 22 Jul 2013 (Monday) 17:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Hi i'm david, 20 and i think i have GAS

cdang
263 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 22, 2013 21:00 |  #31

Maybe I hang out in the samples forum too much rather than asking what lens I need.

sponsored links
Evan ­ Idler
Goldmember
1,600 posts
Joined May 2005

Jul 22, 2013 21:02 |  #32

I see nothing wrong with GAS. In the end, you can sell the equipment for 70 to 90% of what
you paid for it. You can use it for countless hours of enjoyment. And at the end of the day
you I have something to share with you family and friends. And averaged over 3 to 5 years
there is not much difference from buying a new body or expensive lens, than buying a
Starbucks coffee each morning on your way to work.

--Evan

Canon5DIII + Some L + Some non L + Some Sigma + Some Tamron + other stuff....
Patiently awaiting a winning Lottery Ticket to afford all the toys I would really like :-P

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,634 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 22, 2013 22:51 |  #33

TheLensGuy wrote in post #16144686 (external link)
I don't think you got my joke. Granted, it may not have been funny to some people.

No, I got your joke! I was merely making a joke of my own, too.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

ElectronGuru
427 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 22, 2013 23:07 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #34

davidfarina wrote in post #16144108 (external link)
I enjoy photography so much i think sometimes im crazy

You have a happy, healthy, productive passion. Many people spend tens of thousands on therapy to find theirs - or get it back. Short of the theft example (sorry man), photography is not a money pit.

Btw, there is an expression in the flashlight community: catch and release

The idea is that there is no perfect flashlight. You keep x dollars invested in a collection and when you want something new, you sell off your least favorite/least used model or parts to fund the new purchase.

"Light is the paint, lenses are brush, sensors are the canvas"
6D | 100L Macro | 50L | 24L TSE
Builder of custom flashlights, OVEREADY.com (external link)

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,431 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jul 22, 2013 23:13 |  #35

My initials are GAS, perhaps that is my problem. See my gear list. Gene

GEAR LIST

davidfarina
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,357 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2013

Jul 23, 2013 02:03 |  #36

Wow many ideas and many posts :D

The best one seems to me, that i only take one lens and shoot with it, and only with it. Needless to say which one it will be (happy owner of the 50L since a week)

@Xyclopx Sad to hear about your gear thought, but pretty cool how you made the best out of it!

But going off the forums is no option, just a superb community here :)

Tried also the option with the wife (actually shes my girlfriend) and she doesnt even cares much for photography. When i want to buy something i tell her and all she says is, again? And somehow she accepts it hah

I think ill have to move on and make some kids :P

@Gene Yeah looked at your gear more than once, your almost a celebrity here, very impressive collection and gives me really hope :D

Sony A7RII | Sony A7S
EF 40 | EF 70-300L | FD 35 Tilt-Shift
FE 16-35 | FE 28 | FE 90
CV 15 4.5 III | CV 40 1.4 MC | Summilux 50 ASPH
Website (external link) | 500px (external link)

shuter113
49 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2012

Jul 23, 2013 06:49 as a reply to  @ post 16144642 |  #37

This is probably great advice, but it takes so long to follow such a strategy.

Fernando
Goldmember
1,628 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 23, 2013 14:56 |  #38

ElectronGuru wrote in post #16145128 (external link)
Btw, there is an expression in the flashlight community: catch and release

The idea is that there is no perfect flashlight. You keep x dollars invested in a collection and when you want something new, you sell off your least favorite/least used model or parts to fund the new purchase.

This is my strategy in all my hobbies. Sometimes combined. Sell a lens, buy a lens. Sell a knife, buy a flashlight, sell a watch, buy a camera body.

I'm frugal by nature and can't bring myself to blow significant coin on anything except my wife and daughter.

-F

Fuji convert - Ping me if you have any Fuji gear or legacy glass you're moving.

davidfarina
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,357 posts
Joined May 2013

Jul 23, 2013 15:02 |  #39

Fernando wrote in post #16147061 (external link)
This is my strategy in all my hobbies. Sometimes combined. Sell a lens, buy a lens. Sell a knife, buy a flashlight, sell a watch, buy a camera body.

I'm frugal by nature and can't bring myself to blow significant coin on anything except my wife and daughter.

-F

Nice idea too! I think from now on i will simply sell things i dont use anymore to buy things which make me happy. Thats a good strategy as long as you dont spend twice the ampunt you earn from your sale

Sony A7RII | Sony A7S
FE 16-35 | FE 28 | FE 90

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,520 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Jul 23, 2013 15:09 |  #40

I keep my GAS at bay by buying legacy/vintage gear then continue saving for the stuff I actually need (like the 135L I'm determined to get, which I see you have OP ;)).

I just bought myself a Vivitar Series 1 70-210 2.8-4 because I wanted/needed a decent versatile telephoto lens, thankfully it only cost me $75, a comparable modern lens would cost 4 times that much at the very least :)

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

davidfarina
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,357 posts
Joined May 2013

Jul 23, 2013 15:31 |  #41

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #16147114 (external link)
I keep my GAS at bay by buying legacy/vintage gear then continue saving for the stuff I actually need (like the 135L I'm determined to get, which I see you have OP ;)).

I just bought myself a Vivitar Series 1 70-210 2.8-4 because I wanted/needed a decent versatile telephoto lens, thankfully it only cost me $75, a comparable modern lens would cost 4 times that much at the very least :)

Yeah you told in the cheap challenge thread :)
You really have to let me know how it performs also for macro as the lens sounds really promising!

Sony A7RII | Sony A7S
FE 16-35 | FE 28 | FE 90

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,520 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Jul 23, 2013 15:32 |  #42

davidfarina wrote in post #16147185 (external link)
Yeah you told in the cheap challenge thread :)
You really have to let me know how it performs also for macro as the lens sounds really promising!

Will do! I was really impressed reading through all the threads I read on it and browsing the galleries from it on Flickr though. Hopefully when paired with the 6D it'll give me similar results :cool:

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 23, 2013 16:31 |  #43
bannedPermanent ban

Change your photography goals from equipment collector to photographer and you'll quickly realize all this extra expensive gear means squat in the big scheme of things. Sell all your gear except for 1 camera and 1 lens and go find your photographic vision.

Rankinia
449 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 23, 2013 17:40 |  #44

I just set a limit of how much I could save towards cameras a week, even $50 means you can buy some nice stuff over the year. I do this with wine now, though with my intentions, wine loses value as soon as I drink it.

1ds, 30d, 17-40/4 180/3.5, mt-24, 580ex2
http://adamrose.wordpr​ess.com (external link)

Snafoo
Goldmember
1,431 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Jul 23, 2013 18:37 |  #45

ElectronGuru wrote in post #16145128 (external link)
... You keep x dollars invested in a collection and when you want something new, you sell off your least favorite/least used model or parts to fund the new purchase.

But what if you have SAS? (Selling Aversion Syndrome) I hate selling stuff! Not that I don't want to part with it; it's the haggling and boxing and schlepping to the P.O., etc.

I try to buy smart the first time.

http://www.jonstot.com​/ (external link)

sponsored links

7,039 views & 0 likes for this thread
Hi i'm david, 20 and i think i have GAS
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.