Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 23 Jul 2013 (Tuesday) 03:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What is your point to a successful picture?

Gregg.Siam
Goldmember
2,383 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 23, 2013 10:53 as a reply to  @ post 16146315 |  #16

I shoot a lot of portraits, pretties (Thai term for models, both professional or amateur) and cosplay. I can't tell you what makes a good shot, but I can feel it when I see it in the viewfinder. It's overwhelming and I know it is an amazing shot.

A lot of this comes from the fact that posing is not science and I don't really have poses that I can say do this and it looks perfect. All girls are different. So when I get the perfect pose, expression, look, etc... it shows.

Case in point, this girl struck a pose and I knew it was the best of the day. (NSFW)
http://500px.com/photo​/14819967 (external link)

This bikini shot was another I knew I nailed when looking in the viewfinder.
http://500px.com/photo​/33709415 (external link) (safe for work, just bikini)

5D MKIII | 24-105mm f/4 L| 50mm f/1.8 | 600EX-RT [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=bl​ue][FONT="]|
∞ 500px (external link)
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
T2i4me
Goldmember
2,905 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 23, 2013 10:55 |  #17

I do it to get my mind off all the stress in life and exercise my creative side as well as to preserve memories. My favorite shot is a beautiful landscape that envokes a certain feeling, but I also enjoy the excitement of sports and the uniqueness of each shot.

-- Eric --
5DC - T2i - 100-400 L IS - 70-200 F4 L - 17-40 L - EF 85 1.8 - EF-S 10-22 - EF-S 15-85 IS - EF-S 60 macro - 430EX II

ElectronGuru
427 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 23, 2013 11:09 |  #18

maverick75 wrote in post #16146299 (external link)
I always try and do something different than everyone else. I do the cliche stuff also just to be on the safe side but if I'm somewhere and everyone is shooting with a telephoto I'll toss in a wide angle to get a different perceptive. So my shots don't end up looking like everybody else who was there.

Great thread idea.

I too have been thinking about the idea of differentiation. But more along the lines of lowest common denominator. Back when no one had their own camera, pros were special because they had any camera. Then along came the first personal cameras (like the brownie), and pros had cameras without those limitations. Then along came point/shoot, and pros had better cameras without those limitations.

Now there is the cell phone. Ubiquitous yes, but also creative. Apps abound touting 'get the pro look' with features for tilt shift look and big lens look and slow shutter speed and old film look. All with 'without the expensive camera price tag' posted somewhere in the description. Pros pay more and get more and sell the look that gets them. Then those paying for the look want to pay less for the look and try to simulate it in ways that bypass those creating it in the first place.

Is success an absolute measure, once you have the tools and techniques and photos you want, you can rest? Or is succes relative, with ever changing measures and comparisons, with wow one day becoming hmmm - seen that already, the next? It may depend on who you are trying to please/impress and what they/you are used to/expecting.

"Light is the paint, lenses are brush, sensors are the canvas"
6D | 100L Macro | 50L | 24L TSE
Builder of custom flashlights, OVEREADY.com (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,068 posts
Joined May 2003

Jul 23, 2013 11:28 |  #19

As stated, time, and to capture memories to last forever. Oherwise we would not have a record like that which is attached.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Tommy1957
Goldmember
1,288 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Jul 23, 2013 11:36 |  #20

Please help those of us who are woefully uninformed. What is that a photo of?

boufa
494 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 23, 2013 11:56 as a reply to  @ Tommy1957's post |  #21

I thought we were not allowed to post pictures that we didn't take :lol:

One of the best things I ever read here was to "First BE where you are, then photograph it"

However I have found that motivation has a lot to do with our definition of successful. I struggle with my vision because my motivations float around. Sometimes I am documenting an experience (travel or event). Sometimes I am cataloging, I want at least 1 photo of everything (wildlife/birds). Rarely I am simply out to make art...

I am most pleased when my motivation that day, matches the photos that I shot. Oddly enough a photo that was not successful on one day, turns out to look o.k. when I review it later on. Of course the opposite happens too.

Canon EOS 7D & 40D | Σ 10-20mm Wigma | Σ 150-600mm | Σ 18-250mm Macro | Canon 18-135 STM | Canon 55-250 STM
Gallery/Website/Blog - TowPathPhoto (external link)
Social Media - - - on Flickr (external link) . . . on Twitter (external link)
Creator of @OhioBirdAlert (external link) on Twitter

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,561 posts
Gallery: 108 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jul 23, 2013 12:04 |  #22

A successful picture is one where I prove my point, or I make someone else feel like I do when I look at it. :lol:

(even though that rarely happens)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

ScullenCrossBones
842 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 23, 2013 12:50 |  #23

Tommy1957 wrote in post #16146493 (external link)
Please help those of us who are woefully uninformed. What is that a photo of?

Lincoln's inauguration, 1861 (according to the name of the jpg).

:p Gear
Mama done took my Kodachrome away...

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,302 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Jul 23, 2013 13:05 |  #24

More and more it is to capture a fleeting moment of time that I have witnessed and which has drawn an emotional response in me and which I can share with others. Children are the subjects most able to provide those moments. I have pictures of my children in their youth that document who they were at the age the shot was taken. At the time, you looked at the picture and looked at the kid sitting next to you and said to yourself, "Yeah, that's Greg." But time passes and the photos gain more and more value. I gave my kids electronic photo albums of their childhood pictures a couple of years ago, along with archival DVDs of the scans. They were thrilled. My son got married last week. If he has kids, the value of those photos will increase by a magnitude. Perhaps I will have a renewed opportunity to catch children in those magical moments.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,933 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 23, 2013 13:59 |  #25

Memories......

my inlaws are around and they are absolutely loving my photos. They want a way for them to have to have the same quick access to photos, the same way I have it setup... unfortunately, they live around the world, so I'll just print them a little album to take back.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,134 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Jul 23, 2013 14:09 |  #26

I'm always curious to see what something looks like frozen in time as a photograph.

To see if my understanding of color, tone, geometry, rhythm, repeating shapes, line and other elements of visual language can be not only seen but captured in a fraction of a second. Thats what keeps me out there whenever I can get out. This is in regards to my personal work.

My professional work is if I can consistently exceed my clients expectations.

moltengold
Goldmember
4,296 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 23, 2013 14:54 |  #27

i always say that im not a pro
Im shooting photos for fun and for my family
my point to a successful picture is
not reading books of photography
not searching on the net
not trying lenses and bodies
go with professionals and see the method photographed and what are their tools and what is the appropriate timing
and you can get a very nice and great photos from any small camera

| Canon EOS | and some canon lenses

helloyo53
131 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 23, 2013 14:58 |  #28

I like to capture things we see everyday but only in a different way. Things like star trails and long exposure beach/wave shots are things I like.

-Brandon
Canon EOS 60D Gripped | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 USM | EF 85mm f/1.8 USM | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L USM IS

Tommy1957
Goldmember
1,288 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Jul 23, 2013 15:22 |  #29

ScullenCrossBones wrote in post #16146713 (external link)
Lincoln's inauguration, 1861 (according to the name of the jpg).

I was guessing Truman. I only missed by about 80 years.

Foodguy
Goldmember
1,324 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jul 23, 2013 15:46 as a reply to  @ Gregg.Siam's post |  #30

If someone wants to buy what I've photographed, it's a home run.

My answer for most photography questions: "it depends...'

sponsored links

3,362 views & 0 likes for this thread
What is your point to a successful picture?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.