Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 22 Jul 2013 (Monday) 17:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Hi i'm david, 20 and i think i have GAS

ElectronGuru
427 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 23, 2013 20:00 |  #46

If you don't want to sell stuff, I can't help you. If it's just the process of selling that you hate,...

You probably sell every day. Taking a compelling photo isn't about making a grid of a few million dots, in different shades and hues. A compelling photo is about the viewer. Who's going to see it and what do you want them to feel?

So too with selling. It's not about the particulars of what you want to move. An effective sale is about what you want the buyer to feel. And for the purposes of overcoming SAS to support GAS, effective just means motivating yourself to go through the steps. If you've got an extra lens, remember how excited you were to get it, feel that excitement again and imagine the next guy feeling the same. Then you're not selling, you're sharing.

And don't think of selling as punishment for a bad purchase. Sometimes your needs just grow or shrink or change. Think of ownership as a rental and selling as getting your deposit back.

"Light is the paint, lenses are brush, sensors are the canvas"
6D | 100L Macro | 50L | 24L TSE
Builder of custom flashlights, OVEREADY.com (external link)

sponsored links
kenwood33
Goldmember
2,595 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jul 23, 2013 21:07 |  #47

i think i have gas too and i promise myself not to buy another photo/video related item until end of this year

now that i think about it, i still need to pickup another case to store all my gears.. hmmm

Gearlist

ddk632
Goldmember
1,606 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 23, 2013 22:04 |  #48

... But if you buy a case slightly too large, you will need more gears to fit in it perfectly .... Hehe

Dmitriy Khaykin (external link)
dk (external link) | f (external link) | ig (external link) | t (external link) | flickr (external link)

ElectronGuru
427 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 23, 2013 23:49 |  #49

Btw, my post should in no way suggest that I am not susceptible. I totally want an RRS L bracket and I don't even use tripods!

"Light is the paint, lenses are brush, sensors are the canvas"
6D | 100L Macro | 50L | 24L TSE
Builder of custom flashlights, OVEREADY.com (external link)

silma
489 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 24, 2013 12:35 |  #50

davidfarina wrote in post #16145429 (external link)
Tried also the option with the wife (actually shes my girlfriend) and she doesnt even cares much for photography. When i want to buy something i tell her and all she says is, again? And somehow she accepts it hah

that's just because you don't share the same bank account YET!
Give her time and you'll see how she will transform from a peaceful silent lamb into mrs incredible Hulk

my flickr (external link)

my dreamstime (external link)

Xyclopx
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 24, 2013 12:45 |  #51

ElectronGuru wrote in post #16148568 (external link)
Btw, my post should in no way suggest that I am not susceptible. I totally want an RRS L bracket and I don't even use tripods!

in an effort to exacerbate your sickness, fyi, those brackets are not just for use with tripods. rrs makes a ton of stuff that uses the brackets for attachments like flash setups--i personally use their clamp that is designed to attach those glide straps. you can attach your black rapid (i personally use "custom slr" brand) strap to the clamp, which attaches to the bracket, and make the whole thing a really slick quick release strap system. it works very well.

Dean Chiang (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear (external link)
My Photos (external link)
Instagram @xyclopx (external link) @feetandeyes (external link) @gastramour (external link)

alann
Goldmember
2,609 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 24, 2013 22:25 |  #52

I went through so many lenses and bodies it is scary. Spent thousands of dollars and a lot of time on my gear. I was like a Bass fisherman with hundreds of lures that he/she will never use but, just gotta be in the box. I finally ended up with one body and 2 and a half lenses. 5DIII,24-70II,70-200II and a 2x III extender. I can accomplish anything I want and it is easy to through all my lenses and body in the think tank belt and go.
Oh, I do have a flash but, it is getting dusty. ;)

My FLickrPage (external link)

bratkinson
643 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 25, 2013 13:50 |  #53

I bought 2 bodies (60D + 5D3), 6 Ls (16-35 ii, 24-105, 24-70 mark 1, 80-200, 135 and 200 f2.8) and the 85 f1.8 (I just couldn't 'justify' the 85L). That was over a year and a half ago. I sold the 24-70 as too heavy and no IS 2 months after I bought it. Then about 2 months ago, I mentally reviewed what I used the most, and what mostly collected dust over the preceeding year. the 60D, 85 and 200 were sold shortly thereafter.

So now I'm down to the 5D3 + 4 Ls that cover everything I've shot in the last 5 years or so. But I've been drooling over the 70-300L lately, and considering the 28-300L or 35-300L as 'single vacation lens'. Unfortunately, I had bad experiences with push-pull zooms in the '70s and '80s and am hesitant to repeat them.

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." General George S Patton, Jr 1885-1945

pulsar123
Goldmember
2,132 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 25, 2013 14:15 |  #54

I came up with a fairly robust way of fighting GAS: keep all my gear portable. In the sense that I should be able to take my camera + all my lenses + flash and carry it in my bag (which is not huge), for say half a day, without breaking my back. My reasoning is if I can't take everything with me, even in the most inspiring places, then I have too much gear.

This resulted in me sticking to a single camera (I am not a pro, so this should be sufficient), and around 5 lenses, one of which is very small (Rokinon fisheye). This forced me to think hard before buying a new lens, because that'd mean selling one or more of my old lenses, so the purchase has to be very well justified. This also forced me to buy mostly second hand, so I'd lose less $$ every time I swap lenses.

6D, Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC, 135L, 70-200 f4L, Laowa 15mm 1:1 macro, 50mm f1.8 STM, Samyang 8mm fisheye, home studio

Kronie
Goldmember
2,183 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jul 25, 2013 14:32 |  #55

Rui Peixoto wrote in post #16144293 (external link)
get a couple of kids

And a mortgage....

dbeugel
523 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 25, 2013 15:09 |  #56

Just don't listen to anything jdizzle has to say! He lures people into buying things they can't really afford! ;)

I own a DSLR, some lenses and some lights.

sirquack
Goldmember
2,559 posts
Gallery: 65 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2013

Jul 25, 2013 15:36 |  #57

Too bad there are different types of GAS. I think I am good on lenses (for now), but now I am beginning to get lighting (strobe studio set up) GAS. And when you start looking at the price of strobes, it makes the purchase of lens seem pretty easy.
I never knew lighting could be so stinking expensive. LOL

Name is Ron.
Bodies - 6D/5D3/7D2-Gripped
Lenses - Canon 17-40 F4/24-70 F2.8 II/85 F1.8/Canon 70-200 F2.8 II/F4/Sigma 30 DC/Tamron 150-600
Website (external link)
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

6,893 views & 0 likes for this thread
Hi i'm david, 20 and i think i have GAS
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.