Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 25 Jul 2013 (Thursday) 17:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Rye Beach, Australia

issue1
57 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 25, 2013 17:28 |  #1

Hi guys just wanted some feedback on one of my shots from my latest trip. I can handle harsh critique so please don't hold back. Be fair and ruthless!

Tim

IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3776/9361815531_dc2e7f944e_b.jpg

7D | Tokina 11-16mm 2.8
500px (external link)
The best photos are the ones you get if you actually venture out shooting instead of sitting at home

sponsored links
vk2gwk
Cream of the Crop
12,865 posts
Gallery: 269 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 25, 2013 19:35 |  #2

Not a fan of the "milky" look but I know others think it is very cool. Nice light and you seem to have caught the hyperfocal distance right.. Why not in "landscape" format?

My name is Henk. and I believe "It is all in the eye of the beholder....."
Image Editing is allowed. Please explain what you did!
5D MkIV 5DMkIII, 50D, 24-105/1:4L IS USM + 100-400/4-5.6L IS USM + 50mm 1.4 USM + Tamron 70-200mm F/2.8 VC + Sigma 150-600mm Sports + 580EXII + 430EX + YN568EXII, triggers, reflectors, umbrellas and some more bits and pieces...
Photos on: Flickr! (external link) and on my own web site. (external link)

nittaya
122 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Jul 26, 2013 15:10 as a reply to  @ vk2gwk's post |  #3

is it single shot ? for landscapes either use gnd filter or bracket the shots and do digital blending in photoshop. bracketing the shots gives better control compared to gnd filters. As for as digital blending is concerned it is not that difficult there are plenty of free tutorials on the web.

RandMan
403 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2012

Jul 26, 2013 18:52 |  #4

nittaya wrote in post #16156227 (external link)
is it single shot ? for landscapes either use gnd filter or bracket the shots and do digital blending in photoshop. bracketing the shots gives better control compared to gnd filters. As for as digital blending is concerned it is not that difficult there are plenty of free tutorials on the web.

Just out of curiosity, what is wrong with the exposure for you to advise different processing methods and tutorials? To me the exposure looks well balanced from top-to-bottom; I'm just curious what you're basing your suggestions off of.

Canon eos7D | Canon 50mm 1.4 | Canon 17-55mm 2.8 | Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 | Yongnuo 565ex | Yongnuo yn-468 II | Canon ef28-135mm 3.5/5.6 | Canon ef-s 55-250mm 4.0/5.6

Hyper_Vistas
58 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Jul 26, 2013 20:10 |  #5

nittaya wrote in post #16156227 (external link)

This is my new account, yes I am the same person, silly Chrome automatic sign in and didn't realise.

Sorry, I should have mentioned in my first post how I did it. It was a 2 exposure manual blend in photoshop using layer masks. This is how I collect data in the field as opposed to using filters. With current software I can get better results with the likes of luminosity masking than fiddling around with annoying filters and filter holders. It's just a personal thing I guess, some photographers may pride themselves in getting it all in one shot. All I'm after is a final result.

here are the downsized unedited jpgs of the raw files.

IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5350/9372201171_97d9f5b19c_o.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7455/9372165395_b8bbc31eca_o.jpg

nittaya
122 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Jul 26, 2013 20:23 |  #6

RandMan wrote in post #16156751 (external link)
Just out of curiosity, what is wrong with the exposure for you to advise different processing methods and tutorials? To me the exposure looks well balanced from top-to-bottom; I'm just curious what you're basing your suggestions off of.

nothing is wrong with the exposer. just a suggestion. with sea scapes if you have more than one shot of foreground and sky you can use the foreground of the shot which has better waves and sky of the shot which has better sky.

here is one shot of seascape i used this method. it is not something new many pros are doing it. only difference is instead of taking 2 or 3 shots don't stop. keep on clicking
as condition of sky keeps on changing so as the shapes of waves so you have lot of flexibility of selecting between skies and foreground.

basic idea especially with seascapes is that select a composition and then stick to it don't let any other composition lure you. concentrate on that composition only, instead of shooting many scenes in the hope that some will come out good. this is because at sunset and sunrise you have a very brief time period to shoot and light condition in this brief period keeps on changing.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Hyper_Vistas
58 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Jul 26, 2013 20:56 |  #7

nittaya wrote in post #16156929 (external link)
nothing is wrong with the exposer. just a suggestion. with sea scapes if you have more than one shot of foreground and sky you can use the foreground of the shot which has better waves and sky of the shot which has better sky.

Good tip nittaya and that's how I basically shoot. You're totally right about sticking to one composition and nailing it rather than running around trying to capture everything. Sometimes I collect my sky shot, then expose for the foreground, watch through the viewfinder and capture the best wave scene I can get. If the light is rapidly changing, I just rattle off 3 bracketed exposures continuously to keep the colours balanced between exposures.

Do you shoot a lot of seascapes nittaya?

nittaya
122 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Jul 26, 2013 21:01 |  #8

Hyper_Vistas wrote in post #16156986 (external link)
Good tip nittaya and that's how I basically shoot. You're totally right about sticking to one composition and nailing it rather than running around trying to capture everything. Sometimes I collect my sky shot, then expose for the foreground, watch through the viewfinder and capture the best wave scene I can get. If the light is rapidly changing, I just rattle off 3 bracketed exposures continuously to keep the colours balanced between exposures.

Do you shoot a lot of seascapes nittaya?

yes i do a lot . but i learnt this trick of sticking to one composition a month ago. and since then i feel my seascapes are much better then what they used to be before.

sponsored links

1,042 views & 0 likes for this thread
Rye Beach, Australia
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.