Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 26 Jan 2013 (Saturday) 10:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A New Bare Bulb Flash Arrives

silvrbullet
617 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 26, 2013 13:59 |  #1951

Hopefully these help illustrate what I was saying--

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7438/9370375703_037d78dd55_b.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7297/9373153500_424a6f9800_b.jpg

Here you can see how I tapped the other end of the PLM rod insert to accept the shoulder bolt. A little primitive, but it works really great.

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7456/9373183136_d69cb51e5a_b.jpg

Sony A7RII | Zeiss Batis 2.8/18 | Fuji X-T1 | 23 F/1.4

sponsored links
windpig
Chopped liver
15,358 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 26, 2013 14:03 |  #1952

Now that's cool.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

Gareth ­ O'Neill
42 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Jul 26, 2013 15:50 |  #1953

Do you remember the thread size on the little screw on the back of the PLM? Yours is way better than mine and looks like you have replaced it.

kidsphotos.co.nz (external link)

Whortleberry
Goldmember
1,719 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 26, 2013 16:55 |  #1954

Csae wrote in post #16154424 (external link)
You guys are getting so in-depth on one specific topic that it might warrant its own thread, just a suggestion.

That way its easier to find in search results when someone looks up the particular topic.

I can appreciate the thrust of this suggestion but feel that breaking the stream of consciousness would possibly make it harder rather than easier to search. Granted, it's possibly frustrating when looking for something quite specific to be inundated with topics of marginal interest but that's the nature of a discussion Forum. Heck, it's the nature of any conversation at all.

Let's say, for example, you're looking for observations, thoughts or fixes for the screw-mount base supplied with the CL360 and trying to find whether this would ever be available for the CL180. It could be argued that this should appear in a "Fixes, Fittings and Supplies" thread rather than here. This needn't necessarily be in the 'Small Flash & Studio Lighting' category - possibly it'd be in 'Accessories & Storage' category or maybe even in the 'Sharing knowhow' grouping. In the weeks / months / years to come what is the likelihood of someone even being aware of a seperate thread dealing with this specific topic? Pretty small I'd guess. However, it takes no genius to think "Ah, it's a question about the CL360 and CL180 - let's start looking in the thread about that specific thing".

OK, it's a dreadful, soul-destroying chore having to wade through all the posts showing pictures of pretty girls taken using these flash units. There are worse chores in this life, believe me on this ;)

IF it were possible to have sub-threads and some basic index then this would be ideal; best of both worlds. As it stands though, this would entail someone keeping that index up-to-date - any volunteers for that thankless task. Thought not.

Sorry, Case, I do know where you're going with the suggestion but I don't think it's viable or especially helpful. You're just going to have to grit your teeth, steel yourself and look at pictures of pretty girls, possibly even some in bikinis, till you find what you're looking for (the topic, I mean, not the girl!!). Life is just so cruel sometimes! :rolleyes:;):lol:

Phil ǁ Kershaw Soho Reflex: 4¼" Ross Xpres, 6½" Aldis, Super XX/ABC Pyro in 24 DDS, HP3/Meritol Metol in RFH, Johnson 'Scales' brand flash powder. Kodak Duo Six-20/Verichrome Pan. Other odd bits over the decades, simply to get the job done - not merely to polish and brag about cos I'm too mean to buy the polish!
FlickR (external link) ◄► "The Other Yongnuo User Guide v4.12" by Clive Bolton (external link) ◄► UK Railway Photographs 1906-79 (external link)

tetrode
THREAD ­ STARTER
I am a walking repository of thoroughly useless information
3,776 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 26, 2013 17:46 |  #1955

silvrbullet wrote in post #16156013 (external link)
This was taken with a 51" extreme silver PLM with diffusion fabric. The PLM is reverse mounted via a 3/8" steel rod going into a grip head. The steel rod is held in place by the 8-32 set screw on the end of the PLM (I have replaced it with a longer screw, and drilled a dimple in the 3/8" rod for safety).

The rod insert that holds the PCB cage has an 5/16-24 thread to accommodate the supplied bolt for attaching the cage. I couldn't find a shoulder bolt long enough, so I tapped the other end of the shaft to accept a 5/16-18 thread. I thread the shoulder bolt through the Cheetah umbrella holder, and through the umbrella reflector, then screw it into the rod insert. Completely secure.

That might be confusing as hell... Maybe I should post a pic of the setup..

There are a number of ways to skin this particular cat. Yours seems like a good one. Another option is to just run a 7mm stainless steel rod (if you can find one) through the central shaft and out the back of the PLM:

IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5448/9371516527_fd2297fd55_o.jpg

This is a 64" PLM with a CL-360 suspended from the end of a 7mm stainless steel rod:

IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5480/9371516579_6b1305037a_o.jpg

The 10mm PLM "positioning shaft" for the 86" PLM (which is what I use) is long enough that it rather than the 7mm rod can be secured in the grip head behind the umbrella. The positioning shaft with the stainless rod running through it will not flex.

silvrbullet
617 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 26, 2013 17:58 |  #1956

Gareth ONeill wrote in post #16156318 (external link)
=Gareth O'Neill;16156318]Do you remember the thread size on the little screw on the back of the PLM? Yours is way better than mine and looks like you have replaced it.

8-32 is the thread size.

silvrbullet
617 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 26, 2013 18:01 |  #1957

tetrode wrote in post #16156569 (external link)
There are a number of ways to skin this particular cat. Yours seems like a good one. Another option is to just run a 7mm stainless steel rod (if you can find one) through the central shaft and out the back of the PLM:

The 10mm PLM "positioning shaft" for the 86" PLM (which is what I use) is long enough that it rather than the 7mm rod can be secured in the grip head behind the umbrella. The positioning shaft with the stainless rod running through it will not flex.

The possibilities are endless! That's what I love about it all..:D

Chad ­ D
224 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 26, 2013 18:44 |  #1958

dont have PLM use the softlighters but this has me curious kinda like a GIANT apollo this way :)
could you post a pic how you have it attached to the grip head :)

thanks
and thanks silverbullet for your picks :)

tetrode wrote in post #16156569 (external link)

QUOTED IMAGE

This is a 64" PLM with a CL-360 suspended from the end of a 7mm stainless steel rod:

QUOTED IMAGE

ChadDahlquist.com (external link) - photography site
HappyFish.com (external link) - post production services for professional photographers

tetrode
THREAD ­ STARTER
I am a walking repository of thoroughly useless information
3,776 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 26, 2013 19:43 |  #1959

Chad D wrote in post #16156728 (external link)
dont have PLM use the softlighters but this has me curious kinda like a GIANT apollo this way :)
could you post a pic how you have it attached to the grip head :)

I can do that tomorrow. It's not very exciting back there.

I did want to add one additional thought: These are definitely proceed-at-your-own-risk exercises. Hanging a CL-180 or a CL-360 from the umbrella holder is most assuredly not what the accessory designers had in mind or even contemplated. The holder seems strong enough to be used in this way but, if fails, I have no one to blame but myself. Clearly, this type of failure would not be (nor would I expect it be) covered by warranty. So, if you're tempted to reverse mount a PLM with a suspended 180 or 360 as the light source, just be aware you're working without a net.

Chad ­ D
224 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 26, 2013 20:44 |  #1960

I am OK with the at my own risk :) I still like that stud idea I use on the softlighter which seems at own risk :) still say if its strong enough to hang a umbrella off should be strong enough to support its own weight like this ? which was kinda my idea from a few pages back :)

on location I want easy and less bulk :)

ChadDahlquist.com (external link) - photography site
HappyFish.com (external link) - post production services for professional photographers

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 26, 2013 22:38 |  #1961

What Dave says about proceeding at your own risk is important.
That said, what I've done in the past, not with CLs, is use an umbrella adapter with a cold shoe, as an added support. Its accomplished by mounting the umbrella adapter on the umbrella shaft at the normal umbrella port, then using the cold shoe to secure the hot shoe on the flash as a second anchor point.

The body of the speedlite is parallel to the umbrella shaft.

Another, easier option, would be to arrange the CL so the body is parallel to the umbrella shaft then use a couple of velcro straps or tent ball bungies to secure it to the extended umbrella shaft.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

Csae
Goldmember
3,350 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 26, 2013 23:16 |  #1962

Whortleberry wrote in post #16156490 (external link)
I can appreciate the thrust of this suggestion but feel that breaking the stream of consciousness would possibly make it harder rather than easier to search. Granted, it's possibly frustrating when looking for something quite specific to be inundated with topics of marginal interest but that's the nature of a discussion Forum. Heck, it's the nature of any conversation at all.

Let's say, for example, you're looking for observations, thoughts or fixes for the screw-mount base supplied with the CL360 and trying to find whether this would ever be available for the CL180. It could be argued that this should appear in a "Fixes, Fittings and Supplies" thread rather than here. This needn't necessarily be in the 'Small Flash & Studio Lighting' category - possibly it'd be in 'Accessories & Storage' category or maybe even in the 'Sharing knowhow' grouping. In the weeks / months / years to come what is the likelihood of someone even being aware of a seperate thread dealing with this specific topic? Pretty small I'd guess. However, it takes no genius to think "Ah, it's a question about the CL360 and CL180 - let's start looking in the thread about that specific thing".

OK, it's a dreadful, soul-destroying chore having to wade through all the posts showing pictures of pretty girls taken using these flash units. There are worse chores in this life, believe me on this ;)

IF it were possible to have sub-threads and some basic index then this would be ideal; best of both worlds. As it stands though, this would entail someone keeping that index up-to-date - any volunteers for that thankless task. Thought not.

Sorry, Case, I do know where you're going with the suggestion but I don't think it's viable or especially helpful. You're just going to have to grit your teeth, steel yourself and look at pictures of pretty girls, possibly even some in bikinis, till you find what you're looking for (the topic, I mean, not the girl!!). Life is just so cruel sometimes! :rolleyes:;):lol:

No it wouldn't, you'd take the important information that you spread out and sumarize it in its own post/thread, this would not only contain all the relevant information pertaining to HSS and CL but also be easily accessible to anyone with an issue regarding any of the factors involved, whatever you're imagining is far different than what i suggested.

windpig wrote in post #16155932 (external link)
[..] I'm making this comment on my own volition because I think these units are a great alternative to a number of portable flash options and I've been recommending the link to this thread, digging through the minutia of oversynch makes it difficult to reasonably vet out the basic information.

Its fine though, it looks like we're back on track. I'm glad to find out i wasn't the only one feeling a bit sideswiped.

I'll return your kitty safely now.

Feel free to call me Case.
CasePhoto.ca (external link) - FanPage (external link)
-Montreal based Photography.

elv
Goldmember
1,491 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jul 27, 2013 03:29 as a reply to  @ Csae's post |  #1963

The reverse mounts look great.

You could easily safety tether the flash with some inexpensive fishing line rigs (external link).

A wider reflector option is obviously need though, as Dave posted earlier.

FLASHHAVOC.COM (external link)

elv
Goldmember
1,491 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jul 27, 2013 03:40 |  #1964

Csae wrote in post #16157295 (external link)
this would not only contain all the relevant information pertaining to HSS and CL but also be easily accessible to anyone with an issue regarding any of the factors involved

I don't disagree, I just don't want to start a thread and then not be able to keep up support to it. Its hard enough just answering the emails sometimes.

PocketWizard ControlTL and Nikon are the main area of interest (because there is currently no Cells II for Nikon) and I don't have either of these at the moment. So if the people using these would like to start a new thread it would be helpful to a lot of people.

FLASHHAVOC.COM (external link)

Panchoskywalker
35 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jul 27, 2013 12:38 as a reply to  @ silvrbullet's post |  #1965

Is this something normal in any PLM or did he added something to the shaft in order to hold it with the clamp?

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7438/9370375703_037d78dd55_b.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/panchoskywalker​/ (external link)

sponsored links

1,396,286 views & 273 likes for this thread
A New Bare Bulb Flash Arrives
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.