Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 17 Jul 2013 (Wednesday) 10:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Invited to join Canon Forums

Nathan
So boring
7,735 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 25, 2013 14:09 |  #16

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #16128162 (external link)
Any way, good for Canon to join the 20th century 13 years too late!
http://forums.usa.cano​n.com …CGE-107&PRO=&CID=1-B33OOJ (external link)

So how come Canon hasn't offered Pekka $2 million to acquire POTN? That would be better spent money than to try to develop their own membership base.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

sponsored links
OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,992 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Jul 25, 2013 17:38 |  #17

Nathan wrote in post #16153379 (external link)
So how come Canon hasn't offered Pekka $2 million to acquire POTN?

Is it known that they haven't?

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

Nathan
So boring
7,735 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 26, 2013 08:19 |  #18

OhLook wrote in post #16153902 (external link)
Is it known that they haven't?

Nope. However, if they did, the fact that they Canon created its own forum suggests that Pekka refused whatever offer they made.

I would be supportive if Pekka wanted to sell this forum to Canon, provided that there are some conditions in place - for example, no limitations on what can and cannot be discussed about non-Canon equipment. Better yet, Canon could sponsor this forum - instead of outright ownership - and can provide some of us long term members some perks.

CyberDyneSystems
THREAD ­ STARTER
Admin (type T-2000)
50,035 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 26, 2013 11:11 |  #19

Tom Reichner wrote in post #16141514 (external link)

I would still like to hear from Jake, as to why he might have been asked to run their forum. I am curious to now if he has any experience with the administration of internet discussion forums (other than helpin' out as a mod here on POTN).

Mostly that was tongue and cheek, and due to my herculean oversized ego! :lol:
...but I do have a bit of experience at this point on how to manage a Canon forum :)

Mainly from my work here, I was POTNs only moderator and Admin for a number of years, and was partly responsible for growing the mod team we have now as the forum grew in membership. I did have prior experience as well which may have influenced Pekkas decision to take me on all those years ago.

But the fact is, back to tongue and cheek, I know exactly why they would not ask me!

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
THREAD ­ STARTER
Admin (type T-2000)
50,035 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 26, 2013 11:13 |  #20

Nathan wrote in post #16153379 (external link)
So how come Canon hasn't offered Pekka $2 million to acquire POTN? That would be better spent money than to try to develop their own membership base.

I think they long ago missed that boat.

I'm not privy to any financial details, but I can assure you that Pekka has had some offers over the years from various parties.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Nathan
So boring
7,735 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 26, 2013 11:14 |  #21

Tom Reichner wrote in post #16141514 (external link)
I would still like to hear from Jake, as to why he might have been asked to run their forum. I am curious to now if he has any experience with the administration of internet discussion forums (other than helpin' out as a mod here on POTN).

I don't understand why this challenge was raised.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,922 posts
Gallery: 148 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 26, 2013 14:46 |  #22

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #16155640 (external link)
I do have a bit of experience at this point on how to manage a Canon forum :)

Mainly from my work here, I was POTNs only moderator and Admin for a number of years, and was partly responsible for growing the mod team we have now as the forum grew in membership. I did have prior experience as well which may have influenced Pekkas decision to take me on all those years ago.

Thanks for responding, Jake. I always enjoy learning a bit more about the people on this forum. I had no idea that you were part of "managing" POTN, or that your roots here went back so far. I thought you were "just a moderator". It's cool that you helped to build POTN into what it is now.

By the way, do you mainly "just moderate"? By that I mean watch out for spam posts, abusive language, etc? Or do you also write code and do that "techie stuff" that goes on behind the scenes to help the forum operating smoothly?

Maybe there is more to moderating than I realized; if so, it would be cool to learn just what all it is that is expected of moderators.

Nathan wrote in post #16155655 (external link)
I don't understand why this challenge was raised.

Nathan,
You quoted my question for Jake, then referred to it as a "challenge".

It was most certainly not a challenge. What made you think that?

When someone writes something that I don't understand, can I not ask for more information, without someone misinterpreting my request for info as a challenge?

I re-read my question, an do not see any traces of a challenge anywhere in there. I knew practically nothing about Jake before he answered my question (except that he's a moderator who is more into wildlife photography than the other moderators).

I was curious to know why Canon, Inc. might have considered using him to run their forum for them. I wondered, "Does Jake own a website-building business"? "Does Jake hire out as a consultant who does computer programming?" "Did Jake work for Canon in the past, doing PR work or writing code for them?"

I thought that maybe there was more to Jake than I realized, and I wanted to know what that was. How is that a challenge? I would appreciate it if you would explain to me, in detail, why you thought I was challenging Jake.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

whiteflyer
Goldmember
1,726 posts
Gallery: 221 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Jul 26, 2013 15:02 |  #23

DocFrankenstein wrote in post #16129518 (external link)
How is THAT thing going to be different from THIS thing? Instant ban when you mention film?

Well Canon actually read and REPLY on their forum, not sure if they openly do that in here.

Whiteflyer Photography (external link) | Gear List

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Jul 26, 2013 15:25 |  #24

whiteflyer wrote in post #16156212 (external link)
Well Canon actually read and REPLY on their forum, not sure if they openly do that in here.

Maybe I should scoot over there and tell them to mass produce a camera to my specs, so that I can buy used used for 100 bucks 3 years after the release. :lol:

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,119 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 26, 2013 18:32 |  #25

whiteflyer wrote in post #16156212 (external link)

Maybe not officially but I'm sure workers at Canon are on the forums for their own personal use.

Canon :: 5D Mark IV | EOS M5
Glass/Gear :: Canon 24-70L II | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-M 22mm | EF-M 11-22
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Moza Air Gimbal with Thumb Controller and Moza AirCross Gimbal | Custom SLR Dual Glide Strap, BounceLite Flash Modifier, Tolifo LED Light, Varavon Monopod

Nathan
So boring
7,735 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 26, 2013 19:58 |  #26

Tom Reichner wrote in post #16156181 (external link)
When someone writes something that I don't understand, can I not ask for more information, without someone misinterpreting my request for info as a challenge?... I would appreciate it if you would explain to me, in detail, why you thought I was challenging Jake.

You absolutely have the right to ask whatever you'd like. I just picked up a vibe from how you phrased the question. You insisted twice and I read into it - perhaps incorrectly and I apologize if I did - that you were expecting Jake to reveal he didn't have any reason to be especially considered. Basically, you seemed like a guy with a chip on his shoulder, unnecessarily insisting upon someone to back up a statement that was meant to be a joke.

Nathan
So boring
7,735 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 26, 2013 20:01 |  #27

1KIND wrote in post #16156686 (external link)
Maybe not officially but I'm sure workers at Canon are on the forums for their own personal use.

Lol... maybe POTN is blocked at their workplace :p

RickRandhawa
599 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 26, 2013 20:40 |  #28

Nathan wrote in post #16156882 (external link)
You absolutely have the right to ask whatever you'd like. I just picked up a vibe from how you phrased the question. You insisted twice and I read into it - perhaps incorrectly and I apologize if I did - that you were expecting Jake to reveal he didn't have any reason to be especially considered. Basically, you seemed like a guy with a chip on his shoulder, unnecessarily insisting upon someone to back up a statement that was meant to be a joke.

Maybe that wasn't his intention, but I got the same vibe so you're not alone.

6D l 24-70L II l 85L II l 70-200/4L IS

Nathan
So boring
7,735 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 26, 2013 20:44 |  #29

No harm, no foul. Sorry if I was wrong.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,922 posts
Gallery: 148 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 26, 2013 21:16 |  #30

Nathan wrote in post #16156882 (external link)

Guys, I had no expectation of Jake saying he had no qualifications. I assumed that he did have experience and/or qualifications in the technology/PR/web-building industry, and wanted to know what they were.

Maybe instead of "getting vibes" and reading into things, we can go simply by the words people use, and not by what we think may be implied. I don't imply things - if I have something to say, I come right out and say it. Please do not read anything into my statements in the future - if I wanted to put somebody down, I would come right out and do it bluntly. If I ask someone about their past experiences, then all I am doing is asking about their past experiences - no more, no less. I do accept your apology, and hope that the acute frustration I am feeling now will subside shortly.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

sponsored links

7,240 views & 0 likes for this thread
Invited to join Canon Forums
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.