Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 24 Jul 2013 (Wednesday) 16:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

what a great deal on a lowepro flipside 400 !

Bianchi
Cream of the Crop
6,071 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 26, 2013 08:41 |  #46

EmaginePixel wrote in post #16153011 (external link)
I meant sideways... LCD down and memory card up. Width of bodies are 5 1/2" (7D) to 6" (1DX). Gripped bodies are 6 1/2" tall.

Plus it gives you more space in bag, by putting camera in that position. The only thing the bag has to be is deep enough in order to store that way.

If my memory serves me correct, I had a lowepro pro runner, and you could not position camera on side, conversely my think tank allowed, because it was deep.

My Gear flickr (external link)

sponsored links
jimmyt
707 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 26, 2013 12:23 |  #47

What make the price big difference between this one and the one on amzon.com
http://www.amazon.com …00-AW-Black/dp/B001APJZ50 (external link)
is this the same one?
if some thing wrong with the bag can I claim for warranty replace from Lowepro.

Gear List

Immaculens
creeped by the TF....
13,214 posts
Gallery: 82 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 26, 2013 12:49 |  #48

DanThoman wrote in post #16155201 (external link)
ed rader - I don't think it's irrational to be concerned about buying something from China, from a dealer I've never heard of and and a deal that 'looks to good to be true'. If it's a knockoff I can deal with that for $50. However, I'd rather pay full price from a legitimate retailer in the US than buy stolen goods from anyone, regardless of price.

+1
$40 (for the green one) on eBay vs $159 on B&H... its not unreasonable to question at all. Some people get off on demeaning people... whatever.

Will immaculens.com (external link)

7Dmk II gripped | 5Dc | 150-600 (Σ) OS C | 55-250 IS STM | 100L f/2.8 IS Macro | 15-85 IS | 50 f/1.8 STM | 30 Σ f/1.4 'A'
Learn to love to do well, and you shall. ~ C. Poseidon

triet
194 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 26, 2013 13:37 |  #49

ed rader wrote in post #16153829 (external link)
irrational fear #2. I trust china more than new York. can you read ebay feedback...and trust it ?

I had my bag in hand before I ever posted.

Irrational? I respectfully beg to differ.
I'm from a third world country. And they sell those fake camera bags (Lowepro, Crumpler, etc) from China everywhere. And I mean everywhere. They look just the same; so if you are not careful, you might just bought one of those.

Tumblr (external link) 500px (external link) Flickr (external link)
6D + Zeisses

marco9394
106 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 26, 2013 16:16 |  #50

Damn, I bought mine for $80+ while ago, great bag that handles well with abuse!!

Yimotion Photography (external link)

KirkS518
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jul 26, 2013 16:29 |  #51

IMHO, I think that maybe LowePro is getting ready to discontinue/upgrade the bag, and they off-loaded a chunk of inventory. Or, they just have too many on hand, and off-loaded for that reason. Could also have been purchased through an unclaimed freight auction, or similar.

I completely understand the Buy USA mentality, but you could never buy this from any US retailer at this price, even if they paid $1 per bag. They'd mark it up to a discounted 50% off, and sell it at $100. You have to remember - cost of living in China is a bit less then COL in the USA, therefore what I consider a survivable mark-up with differ greatly from a China based retailer/reseller.

Yes, there is a chance that this is a fake (and I don't think it is yet), but, even if it is, it's still a nice sized backpack for <$50. To me, just about any decent sized backpack is worth $45. Even a US seller would probably sell a knockoff for $75-$125.

Just my 2 cents (and I have plenty with all the $$$ I saved buying this bag from China). :D

If steroids are illegal for athletes, should PS be illegal for models?
Digital - 50D, 20D IR Conv, 9 Lenses from 8mm to 300mm
Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

sullivanrp
309 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Jul 27, 2013 01:59 |  #52

Ordered 2 myself, was hesitant at first but checked feedback and those who have been receiving theres aren't having complaints it looks like - seeing positive feedback for each one so far.

Freelance Photographer focusing on Sports - Currently located in Spokane, WA.
Website (external link)
500px (external link)

ChristopherMadison
527 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 27, 2013 04:23 as a reply to  @ sullivanrp's post |  #53

I'm also thinking about getting one of these bags. Can anybody tell me how L-glass w/hoods fit in this bag? Seems that in all the pictures, none of the lenses have hoods on.

My Gear

Phrasikleia
Goldmember
1,828 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 27, 2013 04:46 |  #54

ChristopherMadison wrote in post #16157630 (external link)
I'm also thinking about getting one of these bags. Can anybody tell me how L-glass w/hoods fit in this bag? Seems that in all the pictures, none of the lenses have hoods on.

It depends on the lens, on your configuration of the dividers, and on how much in total you are trying to fit in there. I usually carried a 17-40mm f/4L and a 70-200mm f/4L IS, one of which would be mounted on the camera in the bag and the other lying horizontally to one side. I always kept the hoods mounted backwards on the lenses, and they fit fine.

Photography by Erin Babnik (external link) | Newsletter (external link) | Photo Cascadia Team Member (external link) | Facebook (external link)

mileslong24
508 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 27, 2013 09:22 |  #55

Anyone know if this will fit a 7D with 400 5.6 attached? It's only slightly longer than the 300 2.8 and it says that fits mounted.

chenga732
465 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 27, 2013 09:36 |  #56

I just brought one :(. Very tempting to buy for spare.

Xsi|24-105mm f4.0|70-200mm f4.0|85mm f.18

kenwood33
Goldmember
2,598 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jul 27, 2013 10:53 |  #57

I bought the CompuTrekker ~ 60 from this seller. I thought its a better deal than the flipside, because it has a compartment for one laptop. I already have one computrekker and I am getting a 2nd one for my video gears.

Gearlist

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,722 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 27, 2013 19:21 |  #58

ed rader wrote in post #16151826 (external link)
hey....can anyone comment on the waist strap. is it necessary or a nuisance? I want this pack mostly for air travel, not for any heavy duty trekking though I may hike with it with a couple of lenses and a tripod for 2-3 miles at the most.

i'm thinking of cutting off the waist strap...what do you think :D?

Ed, unless I'm mistaken, and I don't think I am, this is the bag that for security purposes opens from where it sits against your back. The waist strap is crucial to its operation. I have the 300. I use the strap all the time. I take off the shoulder straps, swing the bag around, and can use it as a "table" to take gear in and out and switch lenses. I love the design.

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,722 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 27, 2013 19:22 |  #59

And as for you, Phrasikelia, it's unfortunate that, because of so many members, sometimes people get lost in the shuffle. I've been fortunate in that I took the time to click on your website and look at your shots. Absolutely fantastic.

Phrasikleia wrote in post #16155238 (external link)
Yeah, the straps on top can hold a jacket or two. Here is a picture of me with a rain shell and a fleece strapped on top:

QUOTED IMAGE

That's a very tight fit, but the straps are just big enough to hold that much.

I was never able to carry any of my full-sized tripods with the 400AW, at least not in the actual tripod holder on the back. It will accommodate shorter travel tripods but not ones with three leg sections; it ends up being too tall and hangs awkwardly off the back. I always used a separate tripod carrying bag and just slung that over my back cross-body (and on longer hikes, like the one pictured above, my husband carried both of our tripods in a huge trekking backpack).

Anyway, I used the Flipside 400AW for years and was very happy with it until I started doing longer hikes and more winter hiking that required me to carry more clothing and survival items. I also wanted to be able to put my extra layers inside instead of on top to better protect them (especially expensive down-filled items). So now I'm using a larger bag.

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,722 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 27, 2013 19:43 |  #60

It goes without saying, of course I had to jump on the bandwagon. I just bought one. I'm heading to Las Vegas in a couple of weeks. It sure would be nice if it arrived before I leave. My 300 does not hold much, and I'll have to take my Gura Gear backpack if this doesn't arrive in time.

But this is an excellent deal. It's $150 at B&H.

sponsored links

48,625 views & 0 likes for this thread
what a great deal on a lowepro flipside 400 !
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.