Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 27 Jul 2013 (Saturday) 02:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Extension Tubes

RickRandhawa
599 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 27, 2013 02:06 |  #1

I had the 100L Macro for about a week (returned due to faulty Image stabilization), and decided not to get another one. I didn't think I'd miss it, but as I walk around, sometimes I wish I would have gotten a replacement for random little things I want to shoot. I don't think I shoot enough to justify buying a macro lens so now I'm looking at the Canon EF-25II and EF-12 II extension tubes and have some questions.

1. I never shoot bugs, don't plan on starting either (they gross me out), so the extension tube will be used to get in a little closer for flowers, "ring shot" type stuff, etc. Would I be better off with the EF-25II or the EF-12II, if I were to only purchase one?

2. Can these extension tubes go on any lens? Would I have any issues using it with my 24-70 II, 85L II, or my 70-200 f/4IS?

Thanks.

6D l 24-70L II l 85L II l 70-200/4L IS

sponsored links
1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 27, 2013 02:30 |  #2

1. The things with tubes is, the longer the focal length of the lens they're being used on, the thicker you need.. to significantly increase magnification. That's why i would suggest a set of 3. You can choose the appropriate size for the appropriate lens, and/or stack them together. I also, don't feel it worth purchasing the "Canon" tubes, when you can get a set of 3.. from Kenko (external link), for not much more than the price of the Canon EF 25 II. The Kenko set, is very very similar to the Canon, in terms of build and looks... and usage. There are also other brands that can be found for less money than the Kenko's.. some are good, some are not advisable (ie. plastic mounts, no electrical contacts for aperture).

2. Tubes can be used on any lens, if you get the right set. Some of the older ones, wouldn't work with EF-S lenses, but the v.II Canon's and Kenko "DG" that i've linked to, work on all. Note: On really wide lenses, such as the Canon EF-S 10-22, achieving focus is nearly impossible with any size tube, as it moves the focus point too close to the lens, or even inside. Another thing to note, is that with extension tubes mounted, your lens won't focus to infinity. This means that you probably have to take them off, when you want to use said lens for regular shooting.

Kel
Gear

ElectronGuru
427 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 27, 2013 11:28 |  #3

+ to everything above

In practice, the key disadvantage of tubes vs a macro lens is time. It takes more work/time to get the same /similar shot. This is why tubes are natural for occasional use, the time penalty gets smaller as the number of shots goes down. If this matches your needs and one of your current lenses likes it, you're all set.

"Light is the paint, lenses are brush, sensors are the canvas"
6D | 100L Macro | 50L | 24L TSE
Builder of custom flashlights, OVEREADY.com (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,870 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 27, 2013 11:33 |  #4

In my experience over 40+ years in photography and having 3 formats which used extension tubes (APS-C, FF, 645), I have generally found that I use only the shortest available extension tube (seldom going to second length, never going to longest length or stacking). I generally do not shoot 'macro' (1:2 to 1:1 or higher mag) but I do need to 'focus closer than MFD' of the lens.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

thinkharder
442 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 27, 2013 12:47 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

what the advantage and disadvantage of having these extension tube with canon 100 f2.8 IS macro lens? can you stack all three tube with this lens? If so does the image quality more softer?

dpds68
Goldmember
1,464 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 27, 2013 13:04 |  #6

^^^ Extension tubes have no glass in them therefore no hit in IQ .

David

Gripped Canon 7D,20D,XT / Tamron 17-50mm 2.8, Canon 85mm f1.8 , 70-200 2.8L,EF50mm1.8 II,Sigma 150-500mm OS, Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6
Vivitar285Hv x2,Canon430EX,Nissin Di866,CTR-301P Triggers,
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dpds68/ (external link)

ElectronGuru
427 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 27, 2013 16:36 |  #7

ETs have no glass, but they work my magnifying the image circle. Flaws in the lens get magnified as well, but this should still be better than crop/zooming in post. I have the 100 and just got a set of tubes. If someone who's already tried doesn't chime in, I'll check back with my results.

thinkharder
442 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 27, 2013 16:52 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

ElectronGuru wrote in post #16158872 (external link)
ETs have no glass, but they work my magnifying the image circle. Flaws in the lens get magnified as well, but this should still be better than crop/zooming in post. I have the 100 and just got a set of tubes. If someone who's already tried doesn't chime in, I'll check back with my results.

when you have time can u post some pics of canon 100 F2.8 IS macro lens with and without the ET on same distance stacked tubes.

what is the difference between the Kenko Auto Extension Tube Set DG for Canon EOS Lenses for 199.00 and the one sell on ebay for less than 50.00 :

http://www.ebay.com …Tubes&hash=item​4ac65c5389 (external link)

lots of people in here said you don't used auto focus anyway is best to used manual focus.

RickRandhawa
THREAD ­ STARTER
599 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 27, 2013 17:03 |  #9

1Tanker wrote in post #16157526 (external link)
1. The things with tubes is, the longer the focal length of the lens they're being used on, the thicker you need.. to significantly increase magnification. That's why i would suggest a set of 3. You can choose the appropriate size for the appropriate lens, and/or stack them together. I also, don't feel it worth purchasing the "Canon" tubes, when you can get a set of 3.. from Kenko (external link), for not much more than the price of the Canon EF 25 II. The Kenko set, is very very similar to the Canon, in terms of build and looks... and usage. There are also other brands that can be found for less money than the Kenko's.. some are good, some are not advisable (ie. plastic mounts, no electrical contacts for aperture).

2. Tubes can be used on any lens, if you get the right set. Some of the older ones, wouldn't work with EF-S lenses, but the v.II Canon's and Kenko "DG" that i've linked to, work on all. Note: On really wide lenses, such as the Canon EF-S 10-22, achieving focus is nearly impossible with any size tube, as it moves the focus point too close to the lens, or even inside. Another thing to note, is that with extension tubes mounted, your lens won't focus to infinity. This means that you probably have to take them off, when you want to use said lens for regular shooting.

I really didn't want to have to spend $200. I figure at that point might as well spend another $100 and get the 100 non-L.

For a 24-70II do you think the EF25 would be a good fit? I can grab one for like $70-80 and the EF12 even cheaper. I'm just unsure which of the two would be a better fit. LIke I said, I dont plan on shooting bugs or anything. Just want the ability to get closer to smaller objects.

6D l 24-70L II l 85L II l 70-200/4L IS

moltengold
Goldmember
4,296 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 27, 2013 18:57 |  #10

i think you have to go to the canon web site and download the manual for your lens
and read about the two canon extention tubes and how much magnification you will get from the two kind of these tubes
https://www.usa.canon.​com …/ef_24_70mm_f_2​_8l_ii_usm (external link)

| Canon EOS | and some canon lenses

dodgyexposure
Goldmember
2,874 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 28, 2013 20:44 |  #11

^^^^ the extra magnification achieved from using extension tubes is determined by the ratio of the extension to the focal length. So, using a 25mm tube on a 100mm lens boosts your magnification by 0.25, taking your (hypothetical) maximum magnification from 0.13 (say) to 0.38.

So you can see that you get the maximum boost from using tubes with shorter lenses. However, shorter (wider) lenses also see the most dramatic effect on minimum and maximum focussing distance reduction, making the combo less usable. It's a trade off.

Cheers, Damien

Rashkh
286 posts
Joined May 2011

Jul 28, 2013 22:40 |  #12

100L Macro with full set of stacked extension tubes:
http://www.leonid-auerbakh.com/img/s9/v9​0/p1832423445.jpg (external link)
100% crop:
http://www.leonid-auerbakh.com/img/s10/v​108/p1813547863.jpg (external link)

100L Macro without extension tubes at similar distance but with less flash:
http://www.leonid-auerbakh.com/img/s10/v​115/p1823518677.jpg (external link)
100% Crop:
http://www.leonid-auerbakh.com/img/s9/v9​6/p1763997352.jpg (external link)

Subject is a U.S. one dollar bill. Taken at roughly mfd.

Rashkh
286 posts
Joined May 2011

Jul 28, 2013 22:47 |  #13

thinkharder wrote in post #16158911 (external link)
when you have time can u post some pics of canon 100 F2.8 IS macro lens with and without the ET on same distance stacked tubes.

what is the difference between the Kenko Auto Extension Tube Set DG for Canon EOS Lenses for 199.00 and the one sell on ebay for less than 50.00 :

http://www.ebay.com …Tubes&hash=item​4ac65c5389 (external link)

lots of people in here said you don't used auto focus anyway is best to used manual focus.

The benefit is a higher quality tube that will not break at the mount or get stuck on the camera. You also get aperture control and AF. While the usefulness of af using extension tubes might be debatable, the ability to set aperture is not, and is otherwise a pain.

You may also want to look into the Vello Extension tubes. I think that the Kenko's have slightly better build quality but the functionality is identical. If I were to get a set of extension tubes today, I would grab the Vello's.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …_auto_focus_ext​_tube.html (external link)

EDIT: Also, the item you linked to has a no return policy, which doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

ElectronGuru
427 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 31, 2013 01:28 |  #14

RickRandhawa wrote in post #16158929 (external link)
I really didn't want to have to spend $200.

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1319271

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 31, 2013 01:40 |  #15

yeah.. unless you're a Canon fanboy. or made of money.. no reason to choose the Canon, over Kenko.. or other brands (Meiki {?})

Kel
Gear

sponsored links

3,307 views & 0 likes for this thread
Extension Tubes
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.