Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 29 Jul 2013 (Monday) 09:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Documentary Syle Photography?

Sens0r
90 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jul 29, 2013 09:45 |  #1

I've just started reading about wedding photography a few days ago.
I'm honestly trying to learn more until I feel confident enough with a skill set to qualify me to offer wedding photography.

I keep reading "documentary style photography" of a wedding..

What does that mean? and what are the "other styles" of wedding photography, or photography in general?

My profile on 500px.com (external link) | Follow me on Instagram (external link)
Canon 600D | Canon EF-S 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 IS II | Canon EF 50mm 1.8 | Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 SP Di VC USD XLD | YN-560II

sponsored links
Trent ­ Gillespie
589 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jul 29, 2013 09:56 |  #2

Documentary style is just another way to say you are telling a story through your photographs. When digital cameras hit the market, wedding photography evolved from the traditional, formal-portrait approach into more of a candid... lets makes as many frames as possible approach. The idea behind this is that photographers are documenting the day, so it can be remembered as it happened, instead of how the photographer set it up. The unfortunate thing about this evolution is that it has led to some sloppy habits among professional wedding photographers.

Trent Gillespie
Denver Wedding Photographer (external link)
Gear in the Bag (external link)

jcolman
Goldmember
2,651 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 29, 2013 10:28 |  #3

Trent is right. "Documentary style" can also mean "available light" photographer. Which is another way of saying "I don't know how to use lights properly".

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.com (external link)

Sens0r
THREAD ­ STARTER
90 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jul 29, 2013 10:38 |  #4

Trent Gillespie wrote in post #16163300 (external link)
Documentary style is just another way to say you are telling a story through your photographs....

Uhaa! Thanks for the info man! :-D

jcolman wrote in post #16163394 (external link)
Trent is right. "Documentary style" can also mean "available light" photographer. Which is another way of saying "I don't know how to use lights properly".

Speaking of lighting..

What kind of lighting is frequently used? Especially during the reception?

My profile on 500px.com (external link) | Follow me on Instagram (external link)
Canon 600D | Canon EF-S 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 IS II | Canon EF 50mm 1.8 | Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 SP Di VC USD XLD | YN-560II

jcolman
Goldmember
2,651 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 29, 2013 11:07 |  #5

Sens0r wrote in post #16163424 (external link)
Uhaa! Thanks for the info man! :-D

Speaking of lighting..

What kind of lighting is frequently used? Especially during the reception?

Many of us use two, three or four speedlights or mono lights to light the reception. Others may use a single on camera flash bounced off the wall or ceiling. Obviously the more lights you use, the more difficult it becomes, but the results can be worthwhile.

Each reception venue has it's own challenges. Some venues require little to none in the way of lighting, but those are rare, especially at night or when the DJ turns down the lights.

Sens0r
THREAD ­ STARTER
90 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jul 29, 2013 13:15 |  #6

jcolman wrote in post #16163501 (external link)
Many of us use two, three or four speedlights or mono lights to light the reception.

I can imagine a monolight used for the "cutting the cake" shot :D

Can you give me some examples of how these lights are set-up? Do you use umbrellas/softboxes placed in different parts of the hall? Do you move them around?

Is there any article/youtube video that shows exactly how this might be done?

Most of the articles I've found are merely tips, obvious tips, but I need something technical to learn how this is done..

I think I'll be contacting some photographers in the area and offering to help to get accustomed to everything :confused:

jcolman
Goldmember
2,651 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 29, 2013 13:21 |  #7

Sens0r wrote in post #16163814 (external link)
I can imagine a monolight used for the "cutting the cake" shot :D

Can you give me some examples of how these lights are set-up? Do you use umbrellas/softboxes placed in different parts of the hall? Do you move them around?

Is there any article/youtube video that shows exactly how this might be done?

Most of the articles I've found are merely tips, obvious tips, but I need something technical to learn how this is done..

I think I'll be contacting some photographers in the area and offering to help to get accustomed to everything :confused:

Here's a two posts about this very subject. Perhaps it will help a bit. But you do need training and practice to be able to confidently light any reception hall.

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1315936

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1316521

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 30, 2013 08:58 |  #8

jcolman wrote in post #16163394 (external link)

Eh. I shoot documentary style, but use strobes/speedlights. I don't think most documentary/reportage photographers use the term to mean natural light.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

jcolman
Goldmember
2,651 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 31, 2013 08:22 |  #9

Thomas Campbell wrote in post #16166211 (external link)
Eh. I shoot documentary style, but use strobes/speedlights. I don't think most documentary/reportage photographers use the term to mean natural light.

Thomas, I certainly don't mean that "all" documentary/reportage" photographers don't know how to use lights. However I have a number of photographers in my area, who are self described "documentary" photographers, come to me to teach them how to use light.

tiler65
398 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 31, 2013 11:14 |  #10

Available light is any light that is available - flash or natural or candle or electric light bulb or car headlights or moonlight or sunlight - just to give you some examples of available light.

www.tomastleyphotograp​hy.co.uk (external link)
My Blog (external link)

sponsored links

1,818 views & 0 likes for this thread
Documentary Syle Photography?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.