Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 28 Jul 2013 (Sunday) 13:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

70D vs 5d Mark III vs 6D

gfspencer
179 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 30, 2013 11:37 |  #31

rent wrote in post #16162388 (external link)
Spend money on good (L) lenses, which will outlast bodies many times over.

I agree 100%. So my choice was to get a 6D and a good L lens.

Canon 50D - Canon 7DII - Canon 6D - 16-35mm f/2.8L - 24-105mm f/4[COLOR="red"]L IS - 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS - 50mm f/1.2L - 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS - 100-400mm II f/4.5-5.6L IS - Extender EF 2x

sponsored links
powerslave
Goldmember
1,643 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 30, 2013 11:41 |  #32

Get a used 5D2 and enjoy your days.

flickr photostream (external link)
DP2 Merrill | 6D | TS-E24LII | EF24-105L | Fuji X-M1 | XC 16-50

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,929 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 30, 2013 12:27 |  #33

Dexinthecity wrote in post #16164041 (external link)
I'm thinking maybe going with another 60D and getting a great L lens (ideally I want the holy trinity 35, 86, 135mm L)

Okay, IMHO, I would not go 60D.
I truly desire and feel I need the superior AF that the 5D3 and the upcoming 70D will offer.
Even the 6D af is a step up from 60D. (in some aspects)

But my needs include fast action and birds in flight.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Nathan
So boring
7,733 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 30, 2013 15:10 |  #34

How's this? Get a 5DII or 6D and a 35mm. Nothing else for now, except maybe a flash and tripod.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

eddie3dfx
486 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 30, 2013 18:20 |  #35

Dexinthecity wrote in post #16162174 (external link)
Great responses so far, so budget wise if I be a 5dmkiii or 6d I would have a mediocre lens. Or if I go with a 60d I could get an L lens. Which is a better choice?

get a 6d with a few manual lenses if cost is an issue.

Canon 6D, Canon L 24-105, Zeiss Distagon 28mm 2.8, Planar 50mm 1.4, Planar 85mm 1.4, Sonnar 135mm 2.8 & Zeiss Mutar 2x, Canon 50mm 1.8
http://www.edwinraffph​otography.com/ (external link)

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,583 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Jul 30, 2013 18:23 |  #36

eddie3dfx wrote in post #16167870 (external link)
get a 6d with a few manual lenses if cost is an issue.

Solid advice. I hardly ever use my 24-105L, all my vintage primes produce more pleasing images and cost me under $100 each. I was blown away last weekend when testing my "new" Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm (Komine) next to my dad's borrowed 24-70L mk1 and I couldn't see much difference between the two even at 100% crops.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

GaryS1964
457 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jul 30, 2013 20:57 |  #37

What do you plan on doing with the photos you take? If you are going to do limited PP, just store them, perhaps sharing a few online and occasionally print them up to 8x10 then don't waste money on a FF. Buy a 70D when it comes out in Sept and get some good quality lenses and not necessarily "L" lenses. My favorite lens before going to FF was the Canon 15-85. Great IQ if you do the things mentioned above. Looking at the images on my PC and normal size prints I would say they are just as good as those taken by my 5D3 and 24-105.

However if you know you will be shooting in low light situations, will often crop your images, make large prints, and do a lot of PP then a FF camera my better suit your needs. I was doing some PP today to some pics I took yesterday on vacation. I was using my 5D3 with 24-105. I took a shot of my nephew and his daughter out in the water. They looked the size of a pea in the image. So I cropped the image to zoom in and there faces where just as sharp as if I had taken the picture from 10 feet instead of over 100 feet. With my T2i or my 7D with my 15-85 I couldn't have done that crop and gotten a good sharp image. Plus as has been mentioned PP seems to be easier with the 5D3. Takes much less tweaking to get a great image and so far I have never applied sharpening which I sometimes had to do with the crop cameras.

If you are fussy about your images break the bank now and get the 5D3 with the 24-105. Then add some other "L" lenses to fill in the coverage gaps. I bought a T1i then a T2i and then a 7D along with some EF-S lenses before going to the 5D3 and a couple of "L" lenses. I would have saved money had I just bought the 5D3 first although it wasn't available when I bought the first two cameras.

Canon 5D Mk iii, Canon 7D, Tamron 70-300 Di VC, Tamron 150-600, Canon Nifty Fifty, Canon 100mm f/2.8 L Macro IS, Canon 24-105 F/4 L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L IS ii, Canon 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS ii, Canon 430EX ii, YONGNUO RF-602 Wireless Remote Control

Dexinthecity
THREAD ­ STARTER
294 posts
Joined May 2011

Aug 01, 2013 00:29 |  #38

GaryS1964 wrote in post #16168247 (external link)
What do you plan on doing with the photos you take? If you are going to do limited PP, just store them, perhaps sharing a few online and occasionally print them up to 8x10 then don't waste money on a FF. Buy a 70D when it comes out in Sept and get some good quality lenses and not necessarily "L" lenses. My favorite lens before going to FF was the Canon 15-85. Great IQ if you do the things mentioned above. Looking at the images on my PC and normal size prints I would say they are just as good as those taken by my 5D3 and 24-105.

However if you know you will be shooting in low light situations, will often crop your images, make large prints, and do a lot of PP then a FF camera my better suit your needs. I was doing some PP today to some pics I took yesterday on vacation. I was using my 5D3 with 24-105. I took a shot of my nephew and his daughter out in the water. They looked the size of a pea in the image. So I cropped the image to zoom in and there faces where just as sharp as if I had taken the picture from 10 feet instead of over 100 feet. With my T2i or my 7D with my 15-85 I couldn't have done that crop and gotten a good sharp image. Plus as has been mentioned PP seems to be easier with the 5D3. Takes much less tweaking to get a great image and so far I have never applied sharpening which I sometimes had to do with the crop cameras.

If you are fussy about your images break the bank now and get the 5D3 with the 24-105. Then add some other "L" lenses to fill in the coverage gaps. I bought a T1i then a T2i and then a 7D along with some EF-S lenses before going to the 5D3 and a couple of "L" lenses. I would have saved money had I just bought the 5D3 first although it wasn't available when I bought the first two cameras.

sigh...good advice I'm so confused!

Flickr (external link)

jaomul
Goldmember
1,236 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 01, 2013 00:56 |  #39

Dexinthecity wrote in post #16171667 (external link)
sigh...good advice I'm so confused!

Sometimes these things can be over thought. You said originally you like the t4i and loved the 60d. Your answer is there. You can buy a camera in this range, by all means wait and see how good the 70d is, or if your worried about autofocus you could now go with a 7d. They are all good cameras and will excel with great lenses.

Some of the guys recommeding the 5d3 and others etc are doing so because these cameras are better and you never mentioned a budget per say. These posters likely started with lesser cameras, but the lesser cameras of today are still excellent. If you got a 60d or 7d or t4i and put a lens such as the 70-200 f4 IS (just an example), I would very much doubt the quality it produces woukld make you anything less than delighted

flickr (external link)
Olympus EM5,Nikon d7200,
Olympus 12-50mm, 40-150mm,17mm f2.8,Nikon 50mm F1.8, Tamron 90mm vc, 18-105mmVR, Sigma 18-35 f1.8

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 01, 2013 02:01 |  #40

I would go for the 70D and a bunch of good lenses. Much more fun than a 6D and bad or MF only lenses which can be fun but are mostly a pain with modern viewfinders.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

ElectronGuru
427 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 02, 2013 22:04 |  #41

The 6D launched with waves of 'affordable FF', but FF can still cost double for a comparable setup (lenses etc). If you want to get back to what you had, the 60D is silly cheap now. The 70D is mostly about live view and video. If getting a 6D or 5D3 means cutting back on the lenses you want, it's probably not worth it. In terms of lenses, future proof means not having to sell your lenses when the time comes. This is not that much work - pick up some crop lenses, then sell if/when you outgrow them.

If you want FF and can get one good multipurpose lens, go with the 6D
If you want FF and need more glass, check out the 5D1, which you upgrade next year
If FF offers no meaningful advantage (worth above), the xxDs are still sweet!
I would also consider a used 7D, it may offer a sweet spot of price and capability

"Light is the paint, lenses are brush, sensors are the canvas"
6D | 100L Macro | 50L | 24L TSE
Builder of custom flashlights, OVEREADY.com (external link)

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 03, 2013 02:06 |  #42

ElectronGuru wrote in post #16176899 (external link)
The 70D is mostly about live view and video.

How can you say that when there are no reviews out yet? And when we know it has a new sensor and 19 AF points versus the 9 on the 60D?

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

D.Ho
180 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 03, 2013 02:38 |  #43

I don't think you should buy a camera based on its ability to record videos. The files are generally going to be Gigabites in terms of size and unless you are going to upload it or sell it as a product, I wouldn't recommend lugging around 2K worth of equipment just to shoot videos. Camera phones, camcorders and GoPro shoot in 1080p already so you could pick them up if you wanted to add video to your toys.

Honestly I think you are looking for us to tell you what you want to hear (buy the best of the best), but in the end its your budget. Everyone will recommend you buy L lens and it's most people's dreams to own the highest end equipment. On that note, I looked at your requirements and its all over the place. You shoot anything and everything so here is what I would recommend you buying:

Canon 5Dc -Check out the Camera Image Sample page. I own one and its a great introductory FF camera without having to pay the huge initial cost. It shoots at 1600 ISO fine with current Photoshop Noise Reduction applications so to say that it is a limiting camera would be false.
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1159990
Tamron 28-75- Great L lens alternative. People compare it to the 24-70 v1 and my old copy was 99% of what the 24-70 can do already
Canon 50 1.8- Amazing bang for the buck prime lens. Check out the Image Sample Thread.
https://photography-on-the.net …hp?t=1059085&hi​ghlight=50
Canon 70-200 F4 IS- Second sharpest zoom lens in this range next to the 70-200 F2.8 IS II. Check out the thread for that too. This will cover anything you shoot outside as well as portraits outdoors. 135L is a good alternative. Both have their uses.
Canon 580ex I- Basic flash. Yes, its old but its a workhorse and does 99% of what other flashes do.
Kenko Extension Tubes- Macro work.

If you look at that selection, you have the range from 28-200, macro, and a prime lens with FF. Prime lens doesn't allow you to be flexible enough to shoot everything. It takes a high caliber of planning to get exact shots and zoom lenses allow you to shoot everything and anything. If you don't like a particular lens, buying it used means you can unload it for about the same when you want to get rid of it for another lens.

You can just start with a 5D(Mk I or II) and a 50 1.8 and live with that for a month. By then you should know what kind of lens you need.

Canon 5D III | 24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II
flickr (external link)| 22Slides (external link)

sponsored links

14,197 views & 1 like for this thread
70D vs 5d Mark III vs 6D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.