Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 29 Jul 2013 (Monday) 16:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

430ex high speed sync problem

Tommy1957
Goldmember
1,288 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Jul 31, 2013 08:12 |  #16

Van Gogh wrote in post #16169117 (external link)
Well just realized that getting a 2nd flash doesnt really make sense in terms of lighting advantages as 1 will stay on camera, (and I have built in for that) only advantage it gives is ability of high speed sync.

So I would have to buy 2 extra flashes for a total of 3 to give me extra advantages of composing. Need quiet bit of money for that.... :cry:

Buying one extra flash allows you to do what you set out to do with only one flash anyway. Expensive, but it gets the job you were trying to do done. Buying a second (third) flash allows you to expand your lighting possibilities. You only need one 550/580/580II unit. You can use cheaper units as your slaves. The 420/430/430II will work fine as slaves, and are much cheaper. You can, I believe, use a 270II for backgrounds. To my understanding it is an all-or-nothing firing, though. You'd have to adjust the output manually, if that is even possible.

I have a total of about $700 in 2 550EX units and a 430EX2.

mabviper
54 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 31, 2013 08:30 |  #17

Take a look at the 90EX. It's the cheapest master flash that can do HSS.

7D | 15-85mm IS | 30mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 580EX II | 430EX II | YN-560

ksbal
Goldmember
2,745 posts
Gallery: 374 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 31, 2013 08:37 |  #18

what if for $40 per 550ex unit you could upgrade and have non line of sight control? second curtain? ettl or manual or mix it?

have an AF assist on camera without having a flash there?
Have a way to put a camera in HSS mode without putting a HSS flash there?

YN622c's will do that for you.

Nothing against the current set up, just pointing out what else can be done. (I'm eyeballing picking up some 550ex's... I already have the 622's... )

Godox/Flashpoint r2 system, plus some canon stuff.

Tommy1957
Goldmember
1,288 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Jul 31, 2013 08:58 |  #19

mabviper wrote in post #16169287 (external link)
Take a look at the 90EX. It's the cheapest master flash that can do HSS.

Interesting little unit. I never knew it existed. Some concerns come to mind. It is less powerful than the built-ins on DSLRs; range could be an issue, especially if your slaves are around a corner or behind a curtain. It is powered only by two AAA (yes, AAA) batteries. That means the recycle time will be SLOW and the number of shots will be VERY limited. And lastly, and this one is HUGE. You have to use it with a camera that is capable of controlling the flash from its own menu screen; this unit has NO external controls. And that means you can't use it, as a master, on any film body, or anything older than the 450D, I believe. Someone back me up on that one. I am not sure when the cameras started with the ability to control flash functions.

All that said, if this little guy works for you, it is a boatload cheaper than any of the 500 series flashes!

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

3,694 views & 0 likes for this thread
430ex high speed sync problem
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.