Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 28 Jul 2013 (Sunday) 21:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photoshop & Aperture

wysiwyg59
284 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 28, 2013 21:20 |  #1

I'm working on a file in Photoshop thru a plug-in within Aperture. I saved the file as a psd file and it did not save it within Aperture. Where is this file saved at??? I can not find it even with spotlight.

Thanks for any and all input.

Rick
Canon A1, 7D2, 40D, Canon G12, Sony NEX-5N
Canon 70-200 IS F2.8 L, Canon 35mm f1.4 L, EF-S 18-200mm, EF-S 10-22mm
wysiwyg@hickorytech.ne​t (external link)

sponsored links
Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 29, 2013 03:53 |  #2

I don't know Aperture, but imagine from what you are saying that its like LR, in that it saves files via a system only it understands?

Photoshop has no such nonsense. The files are saved where the user tells the computer to put them, nothing more, nothing less. So I suggest you resave the file and note down the location.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,009 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 29, 2013 05:14 |  #3

Richard as has been pointed out to you many times in the past, LR only ever saves files to a location that YOU tell it to. Yes it has initial defaults for locations that it would use, but so do many other applications across many different areas. Even MS Office defaults to storing new documents in the My Documents folder. Like LR Aperture uses a database system to keep track of where all of the images are. If the file is not referenced by the DB then it cannot "see" the file. Aperture actually goes much further than LR, as it actually stores all of the data for each image file embedded in the DB structure, so that there are no separate files. I understand that this is the default for Aperture, but that it can be changed so that it only stores the references, just like LR. I guess that when you save the PSD file while running this Aperture plug in that it should import the PSD file into the Aperture DB as well, it works in a similar way when using LR/PS. I would imagine that for some reason the file failed to be imported into the DB. I know that this happens with LR if you use the save as command and not the save command with the default filename/location when using LR. As PS (at least in windows) defaults to using the last used location for a "new" document, I would create a new blank document and hit the save command. This will throw up the save dialogue, which should have the last used folder, i.e the one with the file you are looking for as the initial selected directory. You should then be able to import the file into Aperture manually.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 29, 2013 06:04 |  #4

Alan,

Sorry my friend, but you will never persuade me that LR is doing anything but making life more difficult.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 29, 2013 15:33 |  #5

Bashing Lightroom in a thread that has nothing to do with Lightroom. Oh boy.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 29, 2013 16:19 |  #6

Heh! You guys are funny:)!

That being said, I'm not a Mac/Aperture user, so can't help with the details. I'd suggest looking at your Aperture setup:

Do you have Aperture configured to save the photo/open it in Photoshop as a psd? If not (opening as a tiff), and then in Photoshop you Save As a psd, then that would likely confuse Aperture. Lightroom would behave the same way: if you have it set up to Edit in Photoshop as a tiff, then if in Photoshop you decide you want a psd and do a Save As, then Lightroom won't "see" the psd unless you specifically Import it. Maybe Aperture is the same way?

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 30, 2013 06:04 |  #7

wysiwyg59 wrote in post #16162141 (external link)
I can not find it even with spotlight.

Not even if you search for ".psd"?
Maybe aperture altered the name (appending "Edit" or so)?

Try saving again to see what path Aperture uses?

I presume the file is saved, but didn't get imported into the Aperture library, which is why you can's find it there…

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

wysiwyg59
THREAD ­ STARTER
284 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 30, 2013 11:46 |  #8

Here is a screen grab of how PS CS6 is saving these images and when I go back to Aperture I do not see the file(s)

IMAGE: http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn207/wysiwyg77/ScreenShot2013-07-29at74427AM_zpsdd368adf.png
IMAGE LINK: http://s305.photobucke​t.com …27AM_zpsdd368ad​f.png.html  (external link)

Rick

whiteflyer
Goldmember
1,720 posts
Gallery: 220 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Jul 30, 2013 12:13 |  #9

If I understand what your saying correct,

you exported a file from aperture to photoshop (via a plugin)
you then saved a file under a new name .psd
and now you cant see your new file in aperture.

This is a NEW file which will need to be imported in to apeture in the normal way before it can be seen by aperture.

Whiteflyer Photography (external link) | Gear List

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 30, 2013 14:42 |  #10

When you do the "Save As" in Photoshop, as has been mentioned, it creates a new file.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

lilkngster
721 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 31, 2013 10:38 |  #11

It was saved in your Aperture library as a master file, which is not going to be "windows explorable" by itself. You will have to use Aperture application itself to access it and export it again as a separate file or maybe you can choose a different location in photoshop, i.e. desktop, to save it to.

6dII/80d/1dIII|8mm to 400mm|Pro-10/100

wysiwyg59
THREAD ­ STARTER
284 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 31, 2013 11:16 |  #12

Lilngster, thanks I know it is a master file, but when I open Aperture I can not see it

Rick

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 31, 2013 11:26 |  #13

Obviously, because you used "Save as" instead of "Save", so you created a new file.
If you want to use "Save as", you'll need to import the new image into Aperture after saving.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

whiteflyer
Goldmember
1,720 posts
Gallery: 220 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Jul 31, 2013 11:31 |  #14

wysiwyg59 wrote in post #16169763 (external link)
Lilngster, thanks I know it is a master file, but when I open Aperture I can not see it

It's not a master file until you tell Aperture that your NEW file is to be imported into the libary.

Just because you saved a file in the same folder as other master files does not automaticly make your NEW file an Aperture master.

Whiteflyer Photography (external link) | Gear List

lilkngster
721 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 31, 2013 11:50 |  #15

wysiwyg59 wrote in post #16169763 (external link)

Ive not tried this, but the save vs save as explanations with reimporting makes a lot of sense.

6dII/80d/1dIII|8mm to 400mm|Pro-10/100

sponsored links

2,592 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photoshop & Aperture
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.