Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 30 Jul 2013 (Tuesday) 14:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Amazon customer image galleries gone

Bilderknipser
889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2010

Jul 30, 2013 14:33 |  #1

My apologies if this has been posted before I couldn't find it in a search. I also wasn't sure exactly where this belongs..

Am I the only one that is disappointed that Amazon took down their customer uploaded images? I spent hours perusing through the pictures of certain lenses in the past and now they decide to take them all down? What the heck, Amazon!

I know we have the lens sample archive threads here and I do spend a good amount of time looking through them here too, but it was nice to have options. :cool:

Carmen
Mom, Veteran, Student
Gear List

sponsored links
Bearmann
Goldmember
1,226 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Location: I live behind Graceland in a tool shed. I often meet the man early in the morning at Krispy Kreme.

Jul 30, 2013 14:52 |  #2

It's probably a good thing.

See no evil.

Hear no evil.

Buy no evil. :mrgreen:

Barry

http://b-r-s-photo.zenfolio.com (external link) (remove the dashes)

jrbdmb
Goldmember
1,291 posts
Joined May 2011

Jul 30, 2013 15:13 |  #3

The user uploaded images were a great feature on Amazon.

But user uploaded images for cameras and lenses? Meh, not so much. The output of just about any camera or lens can look good when limited to a 500x500 image.

Tools: 70D, 10-22, Tamron 24-70 VC, 70-300L, 135 f2L

tangers40
89 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jul 30, 2013 15:26 |  #4

I will miss the user uploaded pics of things that have broken (not necessarily cameras or camera gear). If I was looking to buy an item and was unsure of the quality, I would look to see how many different people posted pictures of the item that failed in various ways. That would always help me choose between different things.

Yes, granted, you always have to take those sorts of negative reviews with a grain of salt, but amazon was always one of the first places I would go when researching products. Non-manufacturer images were a huge bonus.

60D | 24-105L | Tamron 70-300 VC | Tamron 90 Macro | Nifty Fifty | SX280 HS |

isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 30, 2013 19:23 |  #5

I wondered why nobody seemed to be uploading images anymore. Looks like it's time to start making more videos as they haven't removed that feature. On the flip side it seems they have improved the stock product images which for many items were often tiny and or useless.

brandy3392
174 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jul 31, 2013 12:06 |  #6

I'm really disappointed about this as well. I buy several thousand dollars worth of stuff on Amazon every year. A good portion of those purchases are because Amazon is a one stop shop - I can research an item, read reviews, see good pictures of the item, and purchase it all in one place. I really missed the user images when I was shopping for camera bags and tripods recently. The manufacturer images suck and don't show anything during "real life" usage. It's also really hard to accurately gauge the size of an item from the manufacturer photos. If Amazon doesn't bring user images back, I'll probably start doing more of my shopping elsewhere.

70D | EOS M | 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM | 22mm f/2 STM | 40mm f/2.8 STM | 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II | 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Rokinon 8mm f/3.5 Fisheye | Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 | Yongnuo YN-468 II
Vivitar 28mm f/2.5 | Mir-1B 37mm f/2.8 | Yashica Auto Yashinon 50mm f/2 | Asahi SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4 | Industar 50-2 50mm f/3.5 | Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 | Jupiter-9 85mm f/2 | Asahi Super-Takumar 135mm f/3.5

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,314 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 31, 2013 12:35 |  #7

that really sucks. user images really help with some purchases when manufacturers omit certain items/features.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 31, 2013 12:51 |  #8

For some things keep in mind a Google Images search will net the same thing Amazon images would and then some.

Jason401
83 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 31, 2013 12:53 |  #9

I'm disappointed in this as well. They really came in handy on occasion and I don't remember coming across anything inappropriate. I emailed them about it the other day and here is their reply:

"On July 15, 2013, we discontinued the customer-uploaded image feature. Customer images will no longer show on Amazon product pages. This isn't a decision we came to lightly. While customer-uploaded images has a small, dedicated group of active users, it hasn't been broadly embraced by our customers. Shutting down this feature will allow us to focus on building a better overall Amazon experience for you.
Although there were many people that found value in the feature, it did create more issues than it did solutions, as we had inappropriate images being uploaded, incorrect ones unrelated to the item as well as numerous emails from concerned customers about them. Customers would also mistakenly upload pictures of themselves as they believed customer images meant that they had to add images of themselves in the hopes that it would be added to their public profile and displayed in reviews or discussions."

Lame excuse in my opinion, but at least they replied with something more than generic bs.

Nathan
So boring
7,736 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 31, 2013 13:36 |  #10

My guess is that the retailers and manufacturers didn't appreciate the visual feedback of reviews adversely affecting sales. Pictures are more powerful than words. Amazon's official statement... hilarious.

I posted my photos of a deteriorating ONA bag. I was quite proud of that product review.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,490 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 31, 2013 13:52 |  #11

I liked the shots of loaded camera bags. They gave you a good idea of how well they'd work for you. There were useful pics of ballhead mods and other such things, too. But I suppose those sort of things are available elsewhere online.

Mark J.
Gear

uOpt
Goldmember
2,283 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 31, 2013 14:12 |  #12

Great. Now my reviews say "look at the pics I uploaded" and there's nothing.

My imagine composition sucks. I need a heavier lens.

ElectronGuru
427 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 31, 2013 22:28 |  #13

Bearmann wrote in post #16167328 (external link)
It's probably a good thing.

See no evil.

Hear no evil.

Buy no evil. :mrgreen:

bw!

uOpt wrote in post #16170266 (external link)
Great. Now my reviews say "look at the pics I uploaded" and there's nothing.

Maybe there is a way to host images elsewhere and link to them in your reviews.

"Light is the paint, lenses are brush, sensors are the canvas"
6D | 100L Macro | 50L | 24L TSE
Builder of custom flashlights, OVEREADY.com (external link)

Bearmann
Goldmember
1,226 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Location: I live behind Graceland in a tool shed. I often meet the man early in the morning at Krispy Kreme.

Aug 01, 2013 08:47 as a reply to  @ ElectronGuru's post |  #14

Maybe there is a way to host images elsewhere and link to them in your reviews.

Hmmmmmmmm...... It will be interesting to see if this is possible. I doubt they will allow outside links.

Barry

http://b-r-s-photo.zenfolio.com (external link) (remove the dashes)

dalto
758 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 01, 2013 11:18 |  #15

It sucks for buying physical goods because the customer images were often the best way to find out what something really looked like or how big it was in comparison to another object.

sponsored links

1,987 views & 0 likes for this thread
Amazon customer image galleries gone
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.