Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 26 Jan 2013 (Saturday) 10:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A New Bare Bulb Flash Arrives

PhotographersWorldWide
395 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 31, 2013 12:37 |  #2101

dmward wrote in post #16169726 (external link)
Two problems with this conclusion;
A) For X-sync the CL-Tx and CL-Rx that are shipped with the kit work fine for delivering radio triggering. No add-ons and no cables.

B) The "concocted" solutions are various photographers looking for ways to take advantage of the Cheetah Light's H mode FP-sync capabilities. If they are using a Canon camera pre-2012 firmware update to support 600EX-RT the Cells-II trigger works fine. No cables, no add-ons. And the CL-Tx becomes a handy remote power controller and useful for test firing. If they have 5DIII or 1Dx the soon to be available Cells IIc provides the same FP-Sync capabilities.

Thats still two transmitters required - a CL-Tx and A.N.OTHER - even in the case of using a Cells-II. Why can't this just be one unit ?

In fact.. a CL-Tx and CL-Rx are required for power adjustment as well as a total third party transmitter and receiver set for triggering are required - if thats the way you want to go.

sponsored links
mmmfotografie
hanging up-side-down in a cave
2,114 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Jul 31, 2013 12:46 as a reply to  @ post 16169953 |  #2102

Are we still talking about the Cheetah/Godox/Lencarta​/Walimex AD180 and AD360 bare bulb flashes!?!?

I stumbled today on the DB-02 Y cable in China and the metal protection cap for the flash but the last one I only could buy in lots of 10 pieces and that is to many for only one flash I own.

Whortleberry
Goldmember
1,719 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 31, 2013 12:50 |  #2103

Irrespective of the relative merits of the two marques, I don't feel that a thread intended to discuss the "New Bare Bulb Flash" (read the title of the thread) is in any way the place to start beating the drum about alternatives. If certain people wish to discuss alternatives, this should be in a totally seperate thread rather than employing 'spoiling' tactics in an attempt to pervert and/or distort the aim of this thread.

Thank goodness for the 'Ignore' option so that we can at least filter out the major inconsequentialities and irrelevancies which have been introduced by these parties. Or shall we speak, too, of flash powder and PF60s?

BTW the Cheetah Light Remote Set / Godox FT-16 Tx/Rx set can also be used to control individual components of output on the latest Godox studio monobloc strobes in their various guises. FWIW.

Phil ǁ Kershaw Soho Reflex: 4¼" Ross Xpres, 6½" Aldis, Super XX/ABC Pyro in 24 DDS, HP3/Meritol Metol in RFH, Johnson 'Scales' brand flash powder. Kodak Duo Six-20/Verichrome Pan. Other odd bits over the decades, simply to get the job done - not merely to polish and brag about cos I'm too mean to buy the polish!
FlickR (external link) ◄► "The Other Yongnuo User Guide v4.12" by Clive Bolton (external link) ◄► UK Railway Photographs 1906-79 (external link)

sigma ­ pi
Cream of the Crop
11,204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 31, 2013 13:13 |  #2104

Whortleberry wrote in post #16170038 (external link)
Irrespective of the relative merits of the two marques, I don't feel that a thread intended to discuss the "New Bare Bulb Flash" (read the title of the thread) is in any way the place to start beating the drum about alternatives. If certain people wish to discuss alternatives, this should be in a totally seperate thread rather than employing 'spoiling' tactics in an attempt to pervert and/or distort the aim of this thread.

Well is this thread a commercial for the Cheetah CL 180/360? I am all for talking about all aspects; power, weight, size, price and competition.

Don't try to confuse me with the facts, my mind is already made up.
http://www.flickr.com …6850267535/in/p​hotostream (external link)

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 31, 2013 13:37 |  #2105

But a question then is: Isn't there a Quantum thread somewhere to compare Quantum to the competition?

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

sigma ­ pi
Cream of the Crop
11,204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 31, 2013 14:20 |  #2106

pwm2 wrote in post #16170166 (external link)
But a question then is: Isn't there a Quantum thread somewhere to compare Quantum to the competition?

We can not compare the quantum to the cheetah in the cheetah thread?

The conversation is already here so why move?

jcolman
Goldmember
2,657 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 31, 2013 14:43 |  #2107

You know, it is rather silly that PWW is trying very hard to convince many of us that the Qflash system is "better" than the Cheetah lights. It's rather obvious that the Qflash offers a few more features (that may or may not be useful to some) and is a proven, reliable flash system. But all that comes at more than double the cost of the Cheetah system. That little fact seems to get overlooked a lot in this discussion.

I'm certainly willing to pay for things that are quite expensive but are important to me like cameras and lenses. But if I don't need or want a feature on a particular piece of gear, why should I pay double for it over another very similar item?

Wait....that gives me an idea. I think I'll go troll the point-and-shoot camera threads. Those guys obviously need an education why their choice of gear is wrong. Or maybe I'll hop over to the Toyota forums and tell those people why their cars suck compared to my Lexus. ;)

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.com (external link)

symbolphoto
Cream of the Crop
6,623 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jul 31, 2013 15:47 |  #2108

PWW has been trolling this forum for quite some time. He goes the same route every time. Pick a stance that will get people riled up.

PWW, do you have a website or a smugmug link or something? Surely someone with all your gear must display their images somewhere, correct?

sigma ­ pi
Cream of the Crop
11,204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 31, 2013 15:59 |  #2109

jcolman wrote in post #16170357 (external link)
You know, it is rather silly that PWW is trying very hard to convince many of us that the Qflash system is "better" than the Cheetah lights. It's rather obvious that the Qflash offers a few more features (that may or may not be useful to some) and is a proven, reliable flash system. But all that comes at more than double the cost of the Cheetah system. That little fact seems to get overlooked a lot in this discussion.

I'm certainly willing to pay for things that are quite expensive but are important to me like cameras and lenses. But if I don't need or want a feature on a particular piece of gear, why should I pay double for it over another very similar item?

Wait....that gives me an idea. I think I'll go troll the point-and-shoot camera threads. Those guys obviously need an education why their choice of gear is wrong. Or maybe I'll hop over to the Toyota forums and tell those people why their cars suck compared to my Lexus. ;)

But what about the Haters like me that hate everything? :lol:
To be fair I was harping about price the whole way :D If something is double, I am for sure out.

What kind of Lexus?

jcolman
Goldmember
2,657 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 31, 2013 16:02 |  #2110

sigma pi wrote in post #16170565 (external link)
To be fair I was harping about price the whole way :D If something is double, I am for sure out.

What kind of Lexus?

Haters goin ta hate yo! :cool:

RX350. Love that car.

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.com (external link)

Landcruiser
168 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jul 31, 2013 16:03 |  #2111

sigma pi wrote in post #16170565 (external link)

What kind of Lexus?

The kind that cost double what your sled cost, so you are out.

PhotographersWorldWide
395 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 31, 2013 16:05 |  #2112

jcolman wrote in post #16170357 (external link)
But all that comes at more than double the cost of the Cheetah system. That little fact seems to get overlooked a lot in this discussion.

That little fact seems to be the fulcrum the Cheetah system relies on and is regularly celebrated.

I'm happy to make comparisons for you.. we could throw in Lumedyne and Norman if you wish, both barbulb flashes - neither of those 'do' TTL or 'do' remote power setting so you might be happier with those? If you're happy to mix your 580Ex on camera (for TTL) along with your PW transmitter and your PW receiver plus your CL-Tx transmitter and CL-Rx receiver and CL lights all at the same time - far be it for me to need to point out any failings in the Cheetah system with all those requirements - it should just be plainly obvious.

You'll pretty much find that the Chetah system is sold on the basis of being cheap - along with (please don't mention the HSS manual 'H' switch on the flash, the manual focus assist and the requirement for another Cells-II transmitter (in order to trigger in H mode with only some cameras) fiasco - and also.. 'because Edward requested it' ) !? Strange request. Why shouldn't they be discussed?

Even without any other system to compare to - do you really think thats a sensible setup or is that just a compromise because of price?

In no way is the low price missed in this discussion.

Btw.. heres the 'subjective' Cheetah battery not breaking:: Link :

sigma ­ pi
Cream of the Crop
11,204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 31, 2013 16:08 |  #2113

jcolman wrote in post #16170574 (external link)
Haters goin ta hate yo! :cool:

RX350. Love that car.

:D Yup .... but we are fair, we hate everything

Sweet!

Nikkor316
38 posts
Joined May 2013

Jul 31, 2013 16:48 |  #2114

PhotographersWorldWide wrote in post #16170578 (external link)
Btw.. heres the 'subjective' Cheetah battery not breaking:: Link :

More important is the fact that the Godox/Cheetah light still works. I had a Qflash fall from not very high and it shattered into pieces. At least Cheetah stands behind their product (sometimes even when they shouldn't have to, like Operator error)

Matt

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 31, 2013 16:56 |  #2115

symbolphoto wrote in post #16170527 (external link)
PWW has been trolling this forum for quite some time. He goes the same route every time. Pick a stance that will get people riled up.

PWW, do you have a website or a smugmug link or something? Surely someone with all your gear must display their images somewhere, correct?

I've been hoping for the same thing -- a website where we can all admire the great pictures he's made with his trusty QFlashes.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

sponsored links

1,388,440 views & 273 likes for this thread
A New Bare Bulb Flash Arrives
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.