Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 26 Jan 2013 (Saturday) 10:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A New Bare Bulb Flash Arrives

BigIronCruiser
167 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2013

Jul 31, 2013 17:11 as a reply to  @ post 16170710 |  #2116

My wife helped teach a class for the world famous (if you're into heirloom sewing) Martha Pullen school in Huntsville, AL. She came back with a dress that fits our 5 year old, and needed some pictures ASAP. This was quick & dirty with no time to set up backdrops and not much space in which to work, so no flames (;)) please for the candle holder sticking out of her head. (Note: Skin tones and colors look really weird with Internet Explorer)

I had a choice of TTL-capable speedlights, Einstein's and CL-360's. I could have used any of those, but chose to use a pair of Cheetah's due to their simplicity. Using a light meter, it took less than a minute to adjust the lights and start shooting. Yes, it's that fast.

Why not Einstein's? This would have been my 2nd choice. The CyberCommander has very useful features (that I never use), but the menu system is clumsy when compared to Cheetah's.

Why not TTL-capable speedlights? This would have been my last choice because TTL doesn't provide the consistency. Since this was a static subject, I would have put them in manual mode anyway. The choice of speedlight modifiers is also more restrictive. YMMV.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i565.photobucke​t.com …gIronCruiser/DS​C_2489.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

sponsored links
dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 31, 2013 17:17 |  #2117

^^^ skin tones look OK on my kind of calibrated MacBook Pro screen.
Cute girl. Well lit. I hope that's foam core rather than a wall that needs work. :-)

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

sigma ­ pi
Cream of the Crop
11,204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 31, 2013 17:47 |  #2118

OMG she is cute as a button!

Can your wife make a cases for photography gear? :lol:

Don't try to confuse me with the facts, my mind is already made up.
http://www.flickr.com …6850267535/in/p​hotostream (external link)

jcolman
Goldmember
2,643 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 31, 2013 17:57 |  #2119

PhotographersWorldWide wrote in post #16170578 (external link)
That little fact seems to be the fulcrum the Cheetah system relies on and is regularly celebrated. and the fact that your touted system costs twice as much is never addressed

I'm happy to make comparisons for you.. we could throw in Lumedyne and Norman if you wish, both barbulb flashes - neither of those 'do' TTL or 'do' remote power setting so you might be happier with those? If you're happy to mix your 580Ex on camera (for TTL) along with your PW transmitter and your PW receiver plus your CL-Tx transmitter and CL-Rx receiver and CL lights all at the same time - far be it for me to need to point out any failings in the Cheetah system with all those requirements - it should just be plainly obvious. it works just fine for me thank you. I use this setup for one shot and one shot only. However it's nice to know that I can use it for other shots if needed. The rest of the 1000+ photos I typically shoot at a wedding are either natural light, bounced light from my 580ex's, or with my Cheetah lights. It's good to have choices.

You'll pretty much find that the Chetah system is sold on the basis of being cheap - along with (please don't mention the HSS manual 'H' switch on the flash, the manual focus assist and the requirement for another Cells-II transmitter (in order to trigger in H mode with only some cameras) fiasco - and also.. 'because Edward requested it' ) !? Strange request. Why shouldn't they be discussed? focus assist is a non issue for me thank you. Don't need it on my off camera lights. I have no problem carrying an extra cells II transmitter.

Even without any other system to compare to - do you really think thats a sensible setup or is that just a compromise because of price?

In no way is the low price missed in this discussion. if it keeps the price down to more than half the cost of your system, then yes....I do think it's a very sensible setup

Btw.. heres the 'subjective' Cheetah battery not breaking:: Link :

I've dropped my Cheetah lights twice now. Haven't broken a thing yet. So I'm happy.

Tootles!

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.com (external link)

BigIronCruiser
167 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jul 31, 2013 18:05 |  #2120

dmward wrote in post #16170772 (external link)
^^^ skin tones look OK on my kind of calibrated MacBook Pro screen.
Cute girl. Well lit. I hope that's foam core rather than a wall that needs work. :-)

Are you saying there's something wrong with the wall? Just kidding - it is foam core. We do, however, have a section of drywall in our garage that's severely bowed because the installers didn't put in enough screws.

My monitor is calibrated, but IE seems to have an issue with colors. No problem with Safari, Chrome or Firefox. Off topic, but does anyone know of a setting in IE that will improve the color mapping?

Whortleberry
Goldmember
1,719 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 31, 2013 18:26 |  #2121

^^^ skin tones look OK on both calibrated and uncalibrated monitors under Firefox v22.0.
Less than 1 minute - sounds about right.
Cute girl - check.
Well lit - check.
Foamcore - hope so, no skirting board.
Legs in that position - wish my joints would still do that!

dmward wrote in post #16170710 (external link)
I've been hoping for the same thing -- a website where we can all admire the great pictures he's made with his trusty QFlashes.

David: As an ex commercial pilot, I'm certain you are familiar with the improbable concept of a whole squadron of pigs being fuelled and ready to fly. I believe this pertains here.

B.I.C Setting for IE which will improve the colour mapping? OFF ;) I got so totally p*ssed off with IE and all it's little issues that I never ever even look at it now. So my setting for IE really is OFF

Phil ǁ Kershaw Soho Reflex: 4¼" Ross Xpres, 6½" Aldis, Super XX/ABC Pyro in 24 DDS, HP3/Meritol Metol in RFH, Johnson 'Scales' brand flash powder. Kodak Duo Six-20/Verichrome Pan. Other odd bits over the decades, simply to get the job done - not merely to polish and brag about cos I'm too mean to buy the polish!
FlickR (external link) ◄► "The Other Yongnuo User Guide v4.12" by Clive Bolton (external link) ◄► UK Railway Photographs 1906-79 (external link)

Csae
Goldmember
3,350 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 31, 2013 18:32 |  #2122

sigma pi wrote in post #16170847 (external link)

What happened to the POTN guy who was making these ?

Feel free to call me Case.
CasePhoto.ca (external link) - FanPage (external link)
-Montreal based Photography.

BigIronCruiser
167 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jul 31, 2013 19:06 |  #2123

sigma pi wrote in post #16170847 (external link)

Sure, as long as it looks like a dress and it's smocked;)

tetrode
THREAD ­ STARTER
I am a walking repository of thoroughly useless information
3,775 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 31, 2013 21:14 |  #2124

For those who may be interested, I see that Edward has updated his CheetahStand website with the CL-180/CL-360 accessories.

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 31, 2013 21:46 |  #2125

tetrode wrote in post #16171237 (external link)
For those who may be interested, I see that Edward has updated his CheetahStand website with the CL-180/CL-360 accessories.

Did the battery holder come in ?

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

ZoranC
285 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 31, 2013 22:45 |  #2126

sigma pi wrote in post #16169766 (external link)
Just throwing a monkey wrench in this thread.

LOL

ZoranC
285 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 31, 2013 22:47 |  #2127

symbolphoto wrote in post #16169783 (external link)
But for those of us in the manual camp the only thing missing is the damned stronger IR assist beam. (If anyone who can sway the manufacturer is watching this, talk to them about the laser system sony used years ago. :) )

Agreed.

ZoranC
285 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 31, 2013 22:54 |  #2128

PhotographersWorldWide wrote in post #16170578 (external link)
Btw.. heres the 'subjective' Cheetah battery not breaking:: Link :

Ummmm... what's your point? Are you saying that if something breaks after it fell from several feet that means it's "bad"? Let's get real. You too would break if dropped from several feet onto your head. Wait... too late for that.

ZoranC
285 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 31, 2013 22:57 |  #2129

BigIronCruiser wrote in post #16170750 (external link)
IMAGE NOT FOUND PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i565.photobucke​t.com …gIronCruiser/DS​C_2489.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

Beautiful picture!

symbolphoto
Cream of the Crop
6,622 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jul 31, 2013 23:09 |  #2130

dmward wrote in post #16170710 (external link)
I've been hoping for the same thing -- a website where we can all admire the great pictures he's made with his trusty QFlashes.

He has proven he's a real troll. Neither denied access or revealed his images. Just ignored it altogether. The next step for the real troll is to give some elaborate reason or justification if you will as to why he won't show us his images. :rolleyes:

sponsored links

1,294,825 views & 272 likes for this thread
A New Bare Bulb Flash Arrives
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.