Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 29 Jul 2013 (Monday) 14:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help with Pchop please....Should be simple

ready2go
651 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Jul 29, 2013 14:04 |  #1

I need to put two photos side by side and have even borders. Also,I want to add a 2 pixel stroke to separate the two images. What's the best and fastest way to accomplish this?

6D, 70D, Pancake lens, Nifty Fifty, Sigma 50 Art, Canon 135LL IS, YN560 III

sponsored links
PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 29, 2013 18:42 |  #2

What version of Photoshop are you using?

I can't guarantee this is the fastest method but here's how I would approach it if it were my project.

This assumes the two photos are the same size, or at least they are the same height otherwise putting them together with an equal/even border would be impossible.

1. Add the pixel widths of the two photos together; this will form the basis of a new canvas you will create. If for example the two photos are 1024 (H) x 683 (W) you know that the new canvas must be 1024 x 1366 at minimum. Start Photoshop and click on File > New and create a file with dimensions of 1100 x 1400 pixels.

2. Open the two photos in Photoshop; select the Move tool from the toolbar, and drag and drop each photo to the newly created blank file. The Move tool is tricky to learn; in the newer versions of Photoshop that automatically create tabs, you click directly on each image to select it, then drag it to the TAB of the new file. When the TAB is highlighted/turns white, release your mouse and your image will be added to the file as a new layer.

3. Once both photos are added as layers to the new file, you can align them by first selecting each layer in the Layers palette, then using the Move Tool to move them around. For fine adjustments select the Move tool, then use the arrow keys on your keyboard to nudge the images into place. At this point you can close the two photos that you dragged to the new file to save on memory.

4. If all goes well, at this stage you have two photos aligned next to each other with a white border created when you made the new file. Now click on Image > Trim and choose to Trim the extra pixels based on the one in the upper left. Also make sure the four boxes below are all checked. Once you hit Enter, Photoshop will remove all the extra white pixels in the border.

5. To create an even border, click on Image > Canvas Size. A dialog box appears with the current image dimensions. So if you want to add an even 300 pixel border, add 300 pixels to the Height and Width shown in the dialog box. Press OK and you'll get the two images perfected centered in the new borders.

6. To make the two-pixel stroke between the two photos, select the Ruler Tool from the toolbar. The Ruler tool is under the Eyedropper tool so you may have to press the I key repeatedly to select it, or use the flyout from the tool bar. Click the Ruler tool at the top where the two images meet, press the SHIFT key, then drag to the bottom (the Shift key ensures that the Ruler draws a straight line). Now click on Edit > Stroke, select a width of 2 pixels, a color, and Center location. Click OK and you'll have the two pixel stroke dividing the two photos. Once complete, press the Clear button in the Options bar to remove the line placed by the Ruler tool and you're done.

You can do other things like Merging the two photo layers into one but that's not absolutely necessary. There are also other methods to do such a project like using the Rulers and Guides but that would take a bit more Photoshop knowledge.

Gear List

ready2go
THREAD ­ STARTER
651 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Jul 29, 2013 19:28 |  #3

Thanks for your suggestion. I did manage to do it, but i can seem to get the borders to be exact. I think it's because I'm using the rectangular marquee tool select and then did a stroke of 2 pixels. After that I inversed the selection and then deleted that selection, then all enter to fill with foreground white color(color I wanted for the borders) it looks even but I don't think it is.

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 30, 2013 06:31 |  #4

Here's what I'd do (assuming both images have the same size). Takes a lot longer to type out then to do.

1. Open bridge, select both images.
  2. Go Tools > Photoshop > load files into Photoshop layers. This will create a new file with the two images as separate layers.
  3. Now go Image > Canvas size.
  4. Choose "Percent" and tick the "Relative" box.
  5. Depending on whether you want the images next to each other or side by side, enter "100" in either Width or Height. Click the top left box in "Anchor". Click "Ok".
  6. Go Image > Canvas size again. Choose "Pixels" and tick the "Relative" box, and enter twice the amount of pixels you want the border to have. Leave "Anchor" in the center. Click "Ok"
  7. Select the move tool. Click and drag the image on the top top layer to the position you want (next to or below the image on the bottom layer). Press Command (Ctrl)+Shift, click and drag is easiest for this. The layer will snap into position on the edge of the canvas. You now have a border on all sides but one*.
  8. If you did want a border in between, you'll need to create the last border. Go Image > Canvas size again. Choose "Pixels" and tick the "Relative" box, and enter the amount of pixels you want the last border to have. Put "Anchor" on the opposite side of the missing border. Click "Ok".
  9. Create a layer below the two image layers (click bottom image layer once, Cmd (Ctrl) click the "new layer" icon in the layers palette), and fill it with whatever color you want the border to have.

*: If you don't want a border in between, you can at this point let the image snap to the side of the other image and add a 2px stroke (Fx icon) to both image layers. You're done.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 30, 2013 07:06 |  #5

Rene, I tried the approach of loading the files into layers from Adobe Bridge several times and I couldn't get Photoshop CS6 to change the Canvas size; in fact the option to increase the canvas size was greyed out. That's when I came up with the workaround of creating the canvas first, then adding the images.

Gear List

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 30, 2013 08:16 |  #6

PixelMagic wrote in post #16165987 (external link)
Rene, I tried the approach of loading the files into layers from Adobe Bridge several times and I couldn't get Photoshop CS6 to change the Canvas size; in fact the option to increase the canvas size was greyed out.

Huh? That's weird. The entire command grayed out?

(I assume you know the Background color is grayed out, as to be expected if there's no "Background" layer…)

Works here (just tested to be sure).

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Tomi ­ Hawk
Goldmember
1,685 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 31, 2013 17:09 |  #7

This ..

Kim Johnson Images wrote in post #16164873 (external link)
Do a new that will be the size of your images side by side. Pull the two image onto the blank doc. They will be on different layers, add an inside stroke of 2 pixels to each layer. Done. You can easily change the size of the stroke.

IMAGE NOT FOUND PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i288.photobucke​t.com …hoami58/Untitee​eled-1.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

ready2go
THREAD ­ STARTER
651 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Jul 31, 2013 20:40 |  #8

thanks all. i ended up doing it by using the marquee tool and eye balling the stroke. just not sure if all the lines are equal., but looks good enough for now

obkcaptain
159 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 01, 2013 09:02 |  #9

Easyest way...
Create a slide in Powerpoint, then save it as *jpg

A Canon gear, some lenses, mono(tri)pod, flash and need to learn...

sponsored links

1,489 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help with Pchop please....Should be simple
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.