Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 26 Jan 2013 (Saturday) 10:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A New Bare Bulb Flash Arrives

ZoranC
285 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 31, 2013 23:14 |  #2131

tetrode wrote in post #16171237 (external link)
For those who may be interested, I see that Edward has updated his CheetahStand website with the CL-180/CL-360 accessories.

Thank you! I just went and ordered some 2-to-1 cables and battery holders, but honestly I am disappointed with 9' extension cable. I was hoping for shorter version of 15' cable, direct replacement, not an extension, and 1-to-2 splitter head kills it for me.

sponsored links
elv
Goldmember
1,491 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Aug 01, 2013 00:29 |  #2132

ZoranC wrote in post #16171541 (external link)
but honestly I am disappointed with 9' extension cable. I was hoping for shorter version of 15' cable, direct replacement

I'm surprised you guys haven't been jumping up and down about this earlier. Maybe other people thought the 9' cord was going to be a regular straight cord as well.

A simple straight cable seems like the obvious need. 8 ' (2.4M) I would think would be more than enough.

I think they should add a few feet of straight cord to each end of the standard coiled cord as well.

FLASHHAVOC.COM (external link)

sigma ­ pi
Cream of the Crop
11,204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 01, 2013 01:32 as a reply to  @ post 16171531 |  #2133

Csae wrote in post #16170961 (external link)
What happened to the POTN guy who was making these ?

He is still here, I need to hit him up

BigIronCruiser wrote in post #16171019 (external link)
Sure, as long as it looks like a dress and it's smocked;)

I can live with this haha

ZoranC wrote in post #16171479 (external link)
LOL

I am glad some one liked the joke :D

Don't try to confuse me with the facts, my mind is already made up.
http://www.flickr.com …6850267535/in/p​hotostream (external link)

PhotographersWorldWide
395 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 01, 2013 02:48 |  #2134

dmward wrote in post #16170710 (external link)
I've been hoping for the same thing -- a website where we can all admire the great pictures he's made with his trusty QFlashes.

Well, go have a look - but don't expect pages of personal projects, happy snaps and equipment tests.. I actually use my stuff.

Neither expect lists of equipment.. These are just images from paying customers.

Start here (external link)

nickvango
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 01, 2013 03:23 as a reply to  @ PhotographersWorldWide's post |  #2135

Hi Guys,

long time lurker here, first time poster. Ive been watching this thread since first day and because of it and reading all the good reviews , i have purchased the Godox AD-180 Flash and the battery pack(same flash as the Cheetah, just branded differently) . I have used it on 3 small shoots and am loving it compared to my Quantum T5dr. I also bought the wireless triggers and adjusting the power from the camera is a godsend not relying on "Line of sight"as with my Quantum set up.

My battery was down to the last blue light after so many shots, so i took the charger out last night to put her on charge. When i connected the charger to AC outlet and then to battery , the led on the charger was still green. So i left it on charge for 3 and a bit hours. When i turn on the battery after 3 hrs , battery still only shows 1 blue power light
I tried a different AC outlet today, same result.

I do have quantum turbo batteries which i can use, but i really liked the Propac for the amount of pops it gave me per full charge.

Just wondering if anybody has had this issue, and what could be my problem ?

Thanks Nick.

Whortleberry
Goldmember
1,719 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Aug 01, 2013 06:47 |  #2136

ZoranC wrote in post #16171541 (external link)
Thank you! I just went and ordered some 2-to-1 cables and battery holders, but honestly I am disappointed with 9' extension cable. I was hoping for shorter version of 15' cable, direct replacement, not an extension, and 1-to-2 splitter head kills it for me.

Zoran: Not difficult to cut the centre out of a standard 5 metre extension and splice the cut ends together - it's only 3 wires matched colour to same colour. Don't forget to slip the polyolefin shrink tubing on before you start to solder them back together. Yes, I did - so here's a chance to learn from my mistake. I totally agree, though, that it shouldn't be necessary to DIY parts. Then again, the system has only been on the market for 7 months so things are still growing & evolving quite rapidly.

On the battery clamps, have you noticed the threaded hole for a suitable hook for hanging your surplus cable on?

elv wrote in post #16171666 (external link)
I'm surprised you guys haven't been jumping up and down about this earlier. Maybe other people thought the 9' cord was going to be a regular straight cord as well.
A simple straight cable seems like the obvious need. 8 ' (2.4M) I would think would be more than enough.
I think they should add a few feet of straight cord to each end of the standard coiled cord as well.

NOT direct from Godox (2nd or 3rd hand depending on how you read it), I understand that the issue of shorter-than-5-metre extension cords was raised at the outset and evoked no response whatsoever from Godox. I can envisage the occasional need for a 5m length, but half that amount would be much more useful as a starting point. I posted one possible solution here back in June, with a supplementary post here.
This (external link) is the result of a little light butchery on my part.
This gave me:-

1. A 2.5m extension cable with original plugs on either end.
  2. The original 5 metre cable, but with some joints.
  3. The option to string together an unmodded 5m extension and some of my bits for an even longer cable if ever need (not that I've needed it yet though).
  4. A variable length extension for my Cx Canon-fit cables.
All for less than the cost of one Quantum cable which would offer very considerably less versatility.

--oo0oo--

I also took the opportunity to mod the plugs and sockets to make them more user-friendly. I hadn't even noticed the self-coloured marks moulded into some, not all, of the sockets so they're obvously crying out for development. Tiny plastic pips inserted into the sides of plugs, beside sockets and into the ends of flash-end plugs gave both tactile and visual orientation aids. Although the pips are very small, the improvement in handling is immeasurably beyond what their size would suggest. If anyone wants to emulate, PM me for more details - the pips are singularly not easy to find as 3 of us on 2 continents discovered but I've managed to buy ( retail :cry: ouch) a small number. First come, first served cos there won't be any more.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Phil ǁ Kershaw Soho Reflex: 4¼" Ross Xpres, 6½" Aldis, Super XX/ABC Pyro in 24 DDS, HP3/Meritol Metol in RFH, Johnson 'Scales' brand flash powder. Kodak Duo Six-20/Verichrome Pan. Other odd bits over the decades, simply to get the job done - not merely to polish and brag about cos I'm too mean to buy the polish!
FlickR (external link) ◄► "The Other Yongnuo User Guide v4.12" by Clive Bolton (external link) ◄► UK Railway Photographs 1906-79 (external link)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 01, 2013 08:39 |  #2137

PhotographersWorldWide wrote in post #16171830 (external link)
Well, go have a look - but don't expect pages of personal projects, happy snaps and equipment tests.. I actually use my stuff.

Neither expect lists of equipment.. These are just images from paying customers.

Thanks for link

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

jcolman
Goldmember
2,657 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 01, 2013 08:49 |  #2138

PhotographersWorldWide wrote in post #16171830 (external link)

I took a look at all of the images. Seems to me that you work for a consortium of photographers so no one can really tell what is your work. Regardless, I did not see a single image that could not have been taken with the Cheetah system. Or a cheap speed light system for that matter. Where are the images that, in your words:

"Perhaps the "new barebulb flash" with its lack of "features" is a niche product? It certainly wouldn't cut the mustard on sports events, or any time critical event involving changing light conditions where the choice of the photographer would be a TTL flash function or maybe a shutter priority camera function, but if you only use your lights in a limited environment - then you may well be fine, until one of those other occasions occurs."

You preach about the virtues of a system that perhaps is really overkill for the kind of work you do.

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.com (external link)

PhotographersWorldWide
395 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 01, 2013 09:03 as a reply to  @ jcolman's post |  #2139

You obviously didn't look very far. Theres Commercial, Industrial, Magazine, Advertising, Sports Events, Weddings, Conferences, and Architectural work all there.

Don't be mislead by thinking I'm part of a consortium - all the work is mine.

What I like about Quantum equipment is that it does WHATEVER I need it to do depending on the subject and not just my preconceived ideas of what I might want. Some of the obvious examples include Shutter Priority fill working in an exclusion zone and night photography of open water swimming events using TTL.

I've worked through all the manual only flash equipment with on-camera OEM TTL speedlights with radios attached - and it's just a work around.

jcolman
Goldmember
2,657 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 01, 2013 09:06 |  #2140

PhotographersWorldWide wrote in post #16172293 (external link)
You obviously didn't look very far.

Actually I did. I saw some of the "sporting events" coverage, as well as some of the other "events". But instead of me digging thru all that mess, why don't you post up some examples where the only flash that could have possibly worked, was the Q flash.

I'll wait.

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.com (external link)

symbolphoto
Cream of the Crop
6,623 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Aug 01, 2013 09:34 |  #2141

PWW thank you for posting the link. I didn't expect that of you. And forgive my email, i had to check.

I guess where my amazement lies is in the disconnect that a seemingly consummate professional from an imagery standpoint can behold such a brash and troll-like immature nature on photography forums.

Color me surprised. I guess that's the beauty of life, everyday we learn something new.

PhotographersWorldWide
395 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 01, 2013 11:05 as a reply to  @ symbolphoto's post |  #2142

@Symbolphoto
We're talking equipment here. Thats - bits of plastic and metal which does stuff. Some stuff does things better than other stuff.

I'm not emotionally connected to my gear and I even give Quantum manufacturers $h1t if that doesn't perform as required, and because I've 'been there and done that' and needed to work out solutions for myself I have a pretty good understanding about what's required, what works and what doesn't work.

What you might consider to be troll-like I consider to be factual representation and I vehemently oppose claims made by any manufacturer or commentator or other photographers if claims are not lived up to or the thing just doesn't work or make sense.

I'd much rather somebody buys stuff fully knowing limitations than committing to some other persons exuberance in their new toy.

Landcruiser
168 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Aug 01, 2013 11:09 |  #2143

PhotographersWorldWide wrote in post #16172612 (external link)
@Symbolphoto
We're talking equipment here. Thats - bits of plastic and metal which does stuff. Some stuff does things better than other stuff.

I'm not emotionally connected to my gear and I even give Quantum manufacturers $h1t if that doesn't perform as required, and because I've 'been there and done that' and needed to work out solutions for myself I have a pretty good understanding about what's required, what works and what doesn't work.

What you might consider to be troll-like I consider to be factual representation and I vehemently oppose claims made by any manufacturer or commentator or other photographers if claims are not lived up to or the thing just doesn't work or make sense.

I'd much rather somebody buys stuff fully knowing limitations than committing to some other persons exuberance in their new toy.

God Save the Queen...

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 01, 2013 11:27 |  #2144

PhotographersWorldWide wrote in post #16172612 (external link)
@Symbolphoto

Ian,
I appreciate your candor about why you believe your activity here isn't troll like. My reaction is that you seem to not give other photographers credit for also "...needing to work out solutions for themselves, and having a pretty good understanding about what's required, what works and what doesn't work."

If you truly want to contribute and help someone "buy stuff fully knowing limitations" then, in my opinion, you'd get much farther by first understanding that many of us who have tested Cheetah Lights, and are now using them in productive work, do understand what works for us and are sharing our experiences. I can't afford to buy "toys", I do search out and acquire tools that help me get my work accomplished for paying customers.

Spent a bit of time wondering around your website. There are lots of images that could have been shot with Quantum and about a dozen other type of strobe, including Cheetah Lights. Had trouble finding anything that demanded a really unique lighting solution. Lots of nice images but nothing that could be accomplished with most any proper equipment.

That was a nice collection of what looked like Profoto power packs in the studio shot.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

elv
Goldmember
1,491 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Aug 01, 2013 11:58 as a reply to  @ dmward's post |  #2145

"The sense of entitlement that comes with sociopathy is astonishing to those who abide by the social laws and conventions of our culture. Where does the entitlement come from? It stems from an underlying sense of rage. Sociopaths feel deeply angry and resentful underneath their often-charming exterior, and this rage fuels their sense that they have the right to act out in whichever way they happen to choose at the time. Everything is up for grabs with sociopaths and nothing is off limits."

http://www.psychologyt​oday.com …e-motivation-relationship (external link)

FLASHHAVOC.COM (external link)

sponsored links

1,388,415 views & 273 likes for this thread
A New Bare Bulb Flash Arrives
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.