Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 01 Aug 2013 (Thursday) 13:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best prime for pet portrait and some action shots?

JohanBorjesson
187 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Aug 01, 2013 13:36 |  #1

Right now I got the 18-55/4.5-5.6 IS II kitlens but I don't like the quality of the picture if gives me. I did own a 70-200/f4 non-IS before and I liked it but got dizzy because of the missing IS in the viewfinder. I have ruled that one out because I will not always shoot with good light.

What is the best prime choice for me? Like I said in the title I like to take portraits and some action shots, I stay rather close to my dog so a zoom will not be necessary.

Flickr (external link)
500px (external link)

sponsored links
adamo99
Goldmember
1,173 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Aug 01, 2013 13:43 |  #2

At what distance? On what body? Indoors? Outdoors? We need way more info.

JohanBorjesson
THREAD ­ STARTER
187 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Aug 01, 2013 13:44 |  #3

adamo99 wrote in post #16173082 (external link)
At what distance? On what body? Indoors? Outdoors? We need way more info.

Oh I'm sorry. Distance is maybe a few meters away? I suck a distance. I own a Chihuahua and I can fill the frame with him when I'm at 55mm on my Canon 60D and I'm not far away from him at all. Maybe a meter or two? Mostly outdoors.

Flickr (external link)
500px (external link)

adamo99
Goldmember
1,173 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Aug 01, 2013 13:51 |  #4

If you are shooting mostly outdoors, I would get the EF 85mm f/1.8- it has very fast focusing, and can keep up with dogs while running, jumping, etc. For portraits, just put some additional distance between yourself and the dog, and you'll be able to fill the frame also.

lovemyram4x4
Goldmember
2,198 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Mar 2013

Aug 01, 2013 17:05 |  #5

Are looking to do tight portraits from a few meters? My 85 on my 1DIV(1.3 crop apposed to your 1.6 crop) at a few meters can't quite fill the frame with my Cocker Spaniels and they're quite a bit bigger than a Chihuahua. I'd say on your 60D the 85 would OK for the smaller dog since you want to be close but assuming you took similar shots to what you're looking to do with the 70-200 when you had it, I'd look at what focal lengths you used.

I'd think for action with a Chihuahua even if you stay fairly close you might want to use something like a 135mm. However for action I don't know how close you can really be even with a smaller bread because they can get away pretty quick when running around unless the space is also small. You'd also probably need 135mm to get distortion free Chihuahua head shots.

Then a 100mm would be a nice compromise right in the middle.

I don't think at this time anyone makes primes with IS in med telephoto range out side of marco lenses, which would great for portraits but might be tough for action with their slower AF. My 100L has the focus limit switch which helps a lot with AF speed but I've never tried it for action, I just use the 70-200 or 300 for that.

I guess which focal length really depends on how tight you want the shots since you say you plan on staying fairly close. As mentioned it's hard to stay close for action so if you got something for shooting tight for portraits it would likely be fairly loose for action(still plenty of room crop if wanted).

Just as an example of a fairly tight action shot taken at about 10-15m away(most definitely I had the dogs running much further away than you sound like you plan but this is about as close as they'd get-almost back to the automatic ball throwing machine, you can see his brother's butt in the lower left corner standing next to it) with my 1DIV and 300(would be about 250mm on your 60D) uncropped. I'd guess for a Chihuahua similar framing would require him/her to only be 5-8m.

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7435/9004539404_943a9e77a6_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/83602155@N04/9​004539404/  (external link)
1D4_4781_1 (external link) by lovemyram4x4 (external link), on Flickr

SoCalTiger
Goldmember
1,748 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 01, 2013 17:20 |  #6

Well, OP stated that they are filling the frame at just 55mm and are only 1-2m away from subject. To make use of a 85mm or 135mm prime on a crop camera, they would have to add some distance that it sounds like they don't have.

I'd recommend one of the 50mm prime options like the Canon 50mm F/1.4 or Sigma 50mm F/1.4 unless OP is able to get more distance from the dog. The Sigma is notorious for AF issues though and I'm pretty sure the OP does not have MFA.

Laurence (external link) :: 6D + Lens

sebosalvatore
37 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 01, 2013 17:30 |  #7

135 L > all :-)

Gear | Facebook (external link) | Website (external link)

adamo99
Goldmember
1,173 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Aug 01, 2013 17:36 |  #8

JohanBorjesson wrote in post #16173087 (external link)
Mostly outdoors.

SoCalTiger wrote in post #16173635 (external link)
Well, OP stated that they are filling the frame at just 55mm and are only 1-2m away from subject. To make use of a 85mm or 135mm prime on a crop camera, they would have to add some distance that it sounds like they don't have.

Sounds to me like the OP has plenty of space. Doesn't get more spacious than 'outdoors'.

cuda2k
564 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 01, 2013 17:37 |  #9

The 50mm f/1.4 was my go to when shooting our Corgi on the crop body.

Website/Portfolio (external link) - Flickr (external link) - Picasa (external link) - Facebook Page (external link)
Canon 6D | 24-105Lmm | 17-40L | 28mm f1.8 | 50mm f1.4 | 100mm f2.8 Macro | Tamron 70-300mm

tdodd
Goldmember
3,733 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Aug 01, 2013 17:59 |  #10

85/1.8 is pretty sweet, if the dog is close enough. Even if your framing is loose the cropping power is significant e.g. from this on my 7D....

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/png' | Byte size: ZERO

to this....

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/png' | Byte size: ZERO

My preference more usually is for longer focal lengths when shooting active dogs - more usually 200-400mm - but you can make almost anything work so long as you control the dog's positioning.

cwg
42 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 01, 2013 18:33 |  #11

135L on crop sensor is actually perfect for small pets outdoors. It's a narrow field of view on that sensor particularly for human or larger subjects.

IMAGE: http://pcdn.500px.net/3673563/ea1c0c26c6a71d543f3f996172e9a1ff7b262f9f/5.jpg

Good stuff.

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,432 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Aug 01, 2013 18:54 |  #12

Only lens I use for my cats is the Leica R 180/2 APO lens at f/2. I tried my EF 135/2 once and was very dissapointed in the results - less keepers, poorer color, working distance too close, overall look not great.

GEAR LIST

sponsored links

2,543 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best prime for pet portrait and some action shots?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.