Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 31 Jul 2013 (Wednesday) 08:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

All in One PC's?

Apshiso
458 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 31, 2013 08:31 |  #1

Hey All,

Was thinking about picking up a new desktop - Will be a general use PC and some PS editing - Not heavy nor do I suspect to do much video editing at all. I am only considering a screen around 27-30 inches - ----- - ONLY!

Dell has a 27" touchscreen that is rated, believe it or not, just above the iMac (in some reviews) for all-in-one performance and features.

My Question is this: To those who own one - do you find the touchscreen useful with editing and/or PS? I have heard that dragging your fingers across a large somewhat sticky screen is difficult at times and causes the system to lose track if your finger jumps at all.

TO the REST of you: - What have you heard;/ what are your educated opinions?

Think about NOT using the word "retarded" in a derogatory manner - it insults those who cannot defend themselves - and hurts the ones who love them. Please see: http://www.r-word.org/ (external link)

sponsored links
Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jul 31, 2013 08:56 |  #2

I would not want to leave my finger smudges on the same screen I'm editing on. and isn't the screen upright? How to you effectively use touch on an upright device? This sounds cumbersome to me, just get a trackpad or a pen tablet with touch.

Whatever you go for, I wouldn't weigh in touch features as a purchase incentive.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

Apshiso
THREAD ­ STARTER
458 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 31, 2013 12:42 as a reply to  @ Kolor-Pikker's post |  #3

Thanks. - In this particular PC's case, I'm not using it often, more like only when I have to or if I'm just quickly editing a family or pet image etc. It is not my main Image editing machine - but it begs the question at the same time - are these things ready for the "big time"?. I don't see why not. You can use them (as you said) with a Wacom tablet or any other peripheral as you would with a standard desktop. You would just let the respective PC stand on its own hardware performance features and specs.

Think about NOT using the word "retarded" in a derogatory manner - it insults those who cannot defend themselves - and hurts the ones who love them. Please see: http://www.r-word.org/ (external link)

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jul 31, 2013 16:28 |  #4

Depends on how well the touch is implemented, if it's on the level of a smartphone/tablet or magic trackpad, then it'd be awesome. Otherwise it's just a fad, at least for now.

I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

CincyTriGuy
567 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Aug 01, 2013 12:02 |  #5

Kolor-Pikker wrote in post #16170641 (external link)
Otherwise it's just a fad, at least for now.

Negative. Touch is here to stay.

Jason
Canon 1DX Mark II | 16-35 f/2.8L | 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L

CincyTriGuy
567 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Aug 01, 2013 12:11 |  #6

I've seen some pretty sweet demos of all in one (AIO) touch PC's being angled flat with people on both sides of a table playing games on it together. Obviously that wouldn't work if you intend to put it on a desk against a wall though. But some of the AIO's have batteries so you can just pick them up and move them into another room, perhaps on a dining room table, for multiplayer games or even if you feel like working in another room.

I personally have a Windows 8 touch laptop (Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon Touch) and I use the heck out of the touchscreen and it doesn't smudge, they've done a great job with their built-in screen protector. Touch on a laptop is one of those things that may not sound appealing at first, but actually use it for a week and you'll never want to go back. Especially if you're a frequent traveler and use your laptop a lot in airplanes or other scenarios where it's actually on your lap; touch completely changes how you interact with it. That said, I'm not sure how well that would translate over to a desktop scenario.

Jason
Canon 1DX Mark II | 16-35 f/2.8L | 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 01, 2013 15:02 |  #7

CincyTriGuy wrote in post #16172781 (external link)
Negative. Touch is here to stay.

I doubt it. Touch is really for hand-held devices. It's clunky for desktops and laptops.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 01, 2013 15:46 |  #8

I have a Sony Vaio 11 and I use the touchscreen only about 20% of the time. I use a mouse the other 80%. It requires MUCH less energy to move a mouse with your hand and click with your finger than it does to have to extend your arm and swipe/pinch/etc, especially if you are doing it for longer periods of time. If it isn't in your lap like a tablet, I don't find a touchscreen as simple to use ergonomically.

One really good thing about a touchscreen is if you have a touch pen. You can draw right on the screen which makes selecting areas or objects really simple. Try treating your current monitor as if it where a touchscreen for a couple of minutes. If you find that after 2 or 3 mins you are getting annoyed and the constant reaching and swiping is getting tiresome, a touchscreen monitor may not be a good choice.

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

flashpoint99
411 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Aug 01, 2013 16:33 |  #9

The real issue you will have is that windows 8 is a horrible OS.

CincyTriGuy
567 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Aug 01, 2013 19:46 |  #10

Tony-S wrote in post #16173285 (external link)
I doubt it. Touch is really for hand-held devices. It's clunky for desktops and laptops.

Apparently the major PC makers didn't get that memo, because they're all saying that non-touch laptops won't even be available within a year or two.

Jason

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,304 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 01, 2013 19:50 |  #11

CincyTriGuy wrote in post #16173971 (external link)
Apparently the major PC makers didn't get that memo, because they're all saying that non-touch laptops won't even be available within a year or two.

Aside from the occasional stabbing an "OK" button with my finger, I never use the touch screen on my laptop. What's the point when a mouse pointer is so much more precise?

lomenak
649 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 01, 2013 21:35 |  #12

Just get the iMac. I got the 27" one a month ago and couldnt be happier! I am so happy to kick the Win OS finally!

goldboughtrue
Goldmember
1,857 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Aug 01, 2013 21:52 |  #13
bannedPermanent ban

If the monitor is upright, then why would you want to constantly hold your arm up to touch the screen? Putting aside the smudging (I have to clean my phone everyday from smudges), wouldn't your arm get tired?

http://www.pbase.com/g​oldbough (external link)

5D II, Canon 100 macro, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 24-105 L, Canon TS-E 45, Sigma Art 35mm f/1.4

CincyTriGuy
567 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Aug 01, 2013 23:21 |  #14

mike_d wrote in post #16173977 (external link)
Aside from the occasional stabbing an "OK" button with my finger, I never use the touch screen on my laptop. What's the point when a mouse pointer is so much more precise?

Yes, when you're using your laptop on a desk and especially when a mouse is attached, you may not use touch much. But as I've said ealier in this thread, it's the mobile scenarios that really make touch shine. On a plane, in an airport terminal, on the couch watching TV, in a comfy chair at Starbucks, etc. I do travel a lot and use my laptop in tons of different scenarios, and when I'm mobile I'm far and away using the touchscreen predominantly. It's much more comfortable for me to hold each side of the screen and use my thumbs to manipulate the Windows 8 UI to switch apps, read email, browse the web, etc. Way more convenient than using the touchpad when my laptop is sitting in my lap on a weird angle.

If you personally don't use your laptop in those types of scenarios, no worries. But don't discount the significant benefits that touch offers to people that work differently than you do.

Jason

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 02, 2013 05:29 |  #15

CincyTriGuy wrote in post #16173971 (external link)

Define "laptop". Netbooks for sure, I'm pretty sure they're dead already, but full-size laptops will stay quite around a while longer. Just try and tell Apple that touch devices are going to kill the MBP's.

lomenak wrote in post #16174208 (external link)
Just get the iMac. I got the 27" one a month ago and couldnt be happier! I am so happy to kick the Win OS finally!

I have a 27" iMac too, and I approve, it's great computer. And you can always run Windows on it just in case there's that one program you really need, whether you use wine, emulation, or bootcamp.

goldboughtrue wrote in post #16174235 (external link)
If the monitor is upright, then why would you want to constantly hold your arm up to touch the screen? Putting aside the smudging (I have to clean my phone everyday from smudges), wouldn't your arm get tired?

That's basically what I'm thinking.

CincyTriGuy wrote in post #16174403 (external link)
Yes, when you're using your laptop on a desk and especially when a mouse is attached, you may not use touch much. But as I've said ealier in this thread, it's the mobile scenarios that really make touch shine.

But this discussion isn't about laptops or mobile devices, it's about a mains computer that'll remain on your desk 99% of the time, and that's the one area where it doesn't make too much sense. Let's talk about this then when most major applications have full gesture support.

I'm somewhat indifferent on the "having to move your arm around vs. a mouse" argument, since I've used L-size Wacom tablets for almost a decade now, and find mice rather uncomfortable to use overall. I just upgraded to an Intuos5 recently and it's been great so far. Edit: of course the key here is that a tablet lays flat, I don't have to lift my arm.

I will say that the sweet spot for gestures that aren't fatiguing to be around the 10" area currently employed by most tablets, since you can easily maneuver your hands for the best placement.

sponsored links

2,135 views & 0 likes for this thread
All in One PC's?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.