Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 01 Aug 2013 (Thursday) 17:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What is that irritating pattern in the blur?

drmaxx
Goldmember
1,281 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 01, 2013 17:07 |  #1

Taken with the new 35/1.4 sigma on a 60D
(ISO125, 1/400; 1.4)
There is this very irritating pattern on the gras around the canon. I also see that in the LR version of the raw file. Is that the lens or the conversion. Any idea how I should deal with it?

You can find a bigger version on:
https://picasaweb.goog​le.com …92tODGdRA?feat=​directlink (external link)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Donate if you love POTN

sponsored links
jra
Cream of the Crop
6,568 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 01, 2013 17:12 |  #2

Can you be more specific? I'm not really seeing what you're talking about.

drmaxx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,281 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 01, 2013 17:14 as a reply to  @ jra's post |  #3

May be it's just me, but the gras forms a pattern that is irritating my eyes just by looking at it. :confused:

Donate if you love POTN

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 01, 2013 17:23 as a reply to  @ drmaxx's post |  #4

I think it's just the way the grass is lying in various directions. I think all you can do about it is comb the grass next time :lol:

karobinson
Goldmember
1,236 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 01, 2013 17:26 |  #5

sandpiper wrote in post #16173641 (external link)
I think it's just the way the grass is lying in various directions. I think all you can do about it is comb the grass next time :lol:

ROFL I actually did that once, not with a comb but with a hand rake and my husband laughed at me..............but the picture was gorgeous..............​lol

Ann Robinson:)
My Gear: bunch of stuff;....some I love ... some I hate ... some I can't live without..loving my 5d3...

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 01, 2013 19:16 |  #6

Ann, are you talking about the "grainy" look in the grass?

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 02, 2013 03:49 |  #7

I cannot see any pattern.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,488 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Aug 02, 2013 04:03 |  #8

karobinson wrote in post #16173646 (external link)
ROFL I actually did that once, not with a comb but with a hand rake and my husband laughed at me..............but the picture was gorgeous..............​lol

Doesn't everybody carry a rake in their camera bag? Right next to the leaf blower.

Elie / אלי

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 02, 2013 04:18 |  #9

It's probably a combination of the pattern in the grass and the bokeh of the lens.
Some reading & links: http://www.photography​-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=147231

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

armis
903 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2012

Aug 02, 2013 04:20 |  #10

I see what he means. You'd want the blur to be uniformly smooth but there are areas of harder contrast. I think that's just how optics work. You won't get a buttery-smooth gaussian-blur-like effect on a backdrop like this.

edit: or maybe you will, actually, with another lens, if I'm reading René's link correctly.

Fuji X-E2, 18-55 and 55-200 zooms, Samyang 12
www.wtbphoto.com (external link)

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 02, 2013 04:24 |  #11

Oh... I see it, its the very slight harshness in the bokeh, it tends to pop up every now and then on lenses in the 24-50mm range at very specific apertures and subject distances. I've used several lenses in this range over the years, and they all seem to exhibit this, just to a greater or lesser degree. You typically don't see it 95% of the time.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

drmaxx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,281 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 02, 2013 07:09 |  #12

armis wrote in post #16174749 (external link)
I see what he means. You'd want the blur to be uniformly smooth but there are areas of harder contrast.

That's exactly it. Thanks René for the link - I'll check it out later. But it seems that this is just something I need to put up with using this lens. Pitty (I am a little embarrassed to confess, but it really bugs me:oops:).

Great and knowledgeable people in this forum!

Donate if you love POTN

drmaxx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,281 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 02, 2013 07:11 |  #13

karobinson wrote in post #16173646 (external link)

It wasn't the event where people cared about combs or rakes. It was more about bikes and big guns:). Not sure, if they just laughed if I would have started to comb the grass around the canon.

(By the way: This was a 140 year old model that was still in use).

Donate if you love POTN

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
6,105 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 02, 2013 11:10 |  #14

Did you apply "clarity" to this image? It will emphasize the nature of the bokeh. Paint it out (apply it only to the canon) or tone it down - same for sharpening if you used a large amount or radius.

kirk

Kirk
---

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Aug 02, 2013 11:42 |  #15

I vaguely recall some mention of "nervous bokeh" in a review of the Sigma 35/1.4.

Joel

sponsored links

2,515 views & 0 likes for this thread
What is that irritating pattern in the blur?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.