Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 09 Aug 2010 (Monday) 09:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: How to photograph a high school Senior - Part 2

vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
17,282 posts
Gallery: 444 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 01, 2013 20:19 |  #631

So its not individual contract? The whole school? I know someone who photographed one of the senior for free and made her her agent. That's why i thought it's individual and you as senior high student just give your digital copy of your pic to the yearbook staff.

| VINZ - SONY A7RIV/A73//A6000/FDR-X3000 | Sigma105 | FE1635F4 } Tamron 17-28 Tamron 28-75 | FE50F1.8 | SEL30mm F3.5 Macro |
INSTAGRAM (external link)- WEBSITE (external link) - FACEBOOK (external link) - 500PX (external link)

sponsored links
karobinson
Goldmember
1,236 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 01, 2013 20:23 |  #632

In Alaska you hire who ever you want they just have to follow the school district guidelines and submit the photo to the school by the deadline in the format they request.

Ann Robinson:)
My Gear: bunch of stuff;....some I love ... some I hate ... some I can't live without..loving my 5d3...

vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
17,282 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 01, 2013 20:31 |  #633

That's better. Every photog have a chance to earn. I will check here in my area how things work.

Thank you very much.

| VINZ - SONY A7RIV/A73//A6000/FDR-X3000 | Sigma105 | FE1635F4 } Tamron 17-28 Tamron 28-75 | FE50F1.8 | SEL30mm F3.5 Macro |
INSTAGRAM (external link)- WEBSITE (external link) - FACEBOOK (external link) - 500PX (external link)

karobinson
Goldmember
1,236 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 01, 2013 20:34 |  #634

NP and gl...It is a jungle out there but a fun one at that.

Ann Robinson:)
My Gear: bunch of stuff;....some I love ... some I hate ... some I can't live without..loving my 5d3...

rjharris
Goldmember
1,090 posts
Gallery: 73 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 01, 2013 22:35 |  #635

At least where I live in the Dallas area, most of the photos that go into the year book are taken by contracted photographers. The school I teach at (my full time job) has Lifetouch or Prestige do the yearbook stuff. They have to have the yearbook photos by them. On the flip side for lifetouch or prestige is they have to do those yearbook photos for free and then try to sell packages that I think are outrageously priced. Yes it's a jungle and can get down right bloody but it's a hobby for me so I don't fret it too much.

vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
17,282 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 01, 2013 22:46 |  #636

I actually did an elementary school already competing with lifetouch and creative imaging.

the reason i got the job is that, i gave more $$$ back to the school's PTO. so it's more of fun raising at the same time. i can give more because I have no overhead.

and yes, yearbook photos are free. the money comes from the parents who ordered my packages which is 5 to 10 dollars cheaper than competition. Quality wise are somewhat the same or better so parents were happy. they'll give it to me again this coming year.

I just asked about the senior high because it looks more fun. more modeling style shoot.

Gaarryy
Goldmember
1,191 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 01, 2013 23:05 |  #637

rjharris wrote in post #16174319 (external link)
At least where I live in the Dallas area, most of the photos that go into the year book are taken by contracted photographers. The school I teach at (my full time job) has Lifetouch or Prestige do the yearbook stuff. They have to have the yearbook photos by them. On the flip side for lifetouch or prestige is they have to do those yearbook photos for free and then try to sell packages that I think are outrageously priced. Yes it's a jungle and can get down right bloody but it's a hobby for me so I don't fret it too much.

RJ Do you feel that it helps or hurts being a teacher? I could see it going both ways. I work a lot with HS students at my church and some times it helps other times it doesn't business wise.
Look at your site. Nice photo's on there. Keep up the great work.

---------------Camera, Lens, Flash stuff.. but still wanting more

rjharris
Goldmember
1,090 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 02, 2013 07:03 |  #638

I think it works both ways. I have a lot more interaction with the students at school so they know who I am but I feel there are several students who think that because I'm not a professional photographer, my work must not be as good before they even look at it. Thanks for the compliments on my web site. I think I'm slowly getting the hang of portrait shooting.

Vinmunoz - The one's I do shoot I have a great time with so yes it's very fun. Again, where I live it is more of a buddy system, you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours type of thing. It's a shame but that's how it works.

JewelsMari
150 posts
Joined May 2012

Aug 02, 2013 08:59 |  #639

karobinson wrote in post #16174037 (external link)
What I did a few years ago when I was just getting started was contacted my son's yearbook adviser and let them know I was offering low cost shoots for kids who couldn't afford the big name photographers around town. i offered a shoot and burn type thing and sent the chosen picture on a cd right to the school and let the parents order pics on zenfolio...$75 is what I charged.... He actually sent me my clients, several had to be processed the last day possible to make the book but it got me up and running in no time.

Since I'm still learning and teaching myself - I set a goal for myself and was thinking of something similar to the above suggestion.

Two years ago I did my cousin's senior photos (free so they were able to also hire a professional for any studio shots or anything I couldn't do and so they had plenty of options). Last year I did 2 seniors - 1 for a co-worker and another cousin. Again, it wasn't business that would have gone to another photographer. It's quite possible the parents would have done them on their own. This year I have a goal for 4 seniros. AGain, I don't want to take work away from photographers who would have this as a full-time career, so one potential that I have lined up is a former co-worker. (She did the photos for her older son when he graduated herself.) I would like to find kids that cannot afford it otherwise. (The ones that would otherwise get that Lifetouch blue background photo in the yearbook while their friends have good looking pro scenic settings.)

I'm also in the process of moving to Dallas, so I've decided to relax on my goals a bit. As mentioned above, photography is a hobby, and it is one I am passionate about, but I have a passion for my current industry as well. :)

The advice above sounds reasonable and a great way to develop a portfolio, while helping out some less fortunate (particularly as lack of money can be something that kids are often bullied for. :( )

~ Julie
Flickr (external link)

Gaarryy
Goldmember
1,191 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 02, 2013 09:35 |  #640

rjharris wrote in post #16174934 (external link)
I think it works both ways. I have a lot more interaction with the students at school so they know who I am but I feel there are several students who think that because I'm not a professional photographer, my work must not be as good before they even look at it. Thanks for the compliments on my web site. I think I'm slowly getting the hang of portrait shooting.

Yup. pretty much the same thing. I guess it's a little easier for me since with you the kids see you at your real job. And know right away. Since I'm a volunteer for the media part & High School. The kids just think my real job is in photography (or video), when they find out it's not, it's usually the parents that are a bit worried. I think the kids set up expectations of my real job to help sell the parents though. The only good thing is while I'm there, they can see many examples of my photo work and not just portraits.
So like many dealings with kids, they are the easy part, it's the parents that can make it rough.
Best of luck in Dallas. Hope to run into you sometime. It's always good to know and talk with other photo peeps.

rjharris
Goldmember
1,090 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 02, 2013 09:57 |  #641

Gaarryy wrote in post #16175201 (external link)
Yup. pretty much the same thing. I guess it's a little easier for me since with you the kids see you at your real job. And know right away. Since I'm a volunteer for the media part & High School. The kids just think my real job is in photography (or video), when they find out it's not, it's usually the parents that are a bit worried. I think the kids set up expectations of my real job to help sell the parents though. The only good thing is while I'm there, they can see many examples of my photo work and not just portraits.
So like many dealings with kids, they are the easy part, it's the parents that can make it rough.
Best of luck in Dallas. Hope to run into you sometime. It's always good to know and talk with other photo peeps.

You live in the Colony area which would probably be a great place to shoot I bet. I've been wanting to find a parking garage with city lights for evening shoots. Know of any??

Gaarryy
Goldmember
1,191 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 02, 2013 10:13 |  #642

rjharris wrote in post #16175252 (external link)
You live in the Colony area which would probably be a great place to shoot I bet. I've been wanting to find a parking garage with city lights for evening shoots. Know of any??

While it's not in the colony,, the shops of legacy has a couple parking garages you can get on top of.
While this is a blah shot. I had my camera with me when friends went out for dinner and just put it on top of the car. Not the best point but you can see a few other garages that would have been a better spot.
Legacy and Dallas north tollway.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 403 | MIME changed to 'text/plain'

There is a great park for runners and bikers on the border of the colony/plano. Arbor Hills nature preserve 6701 west parker plano. Concrete paths with lots of dirt trails also. Lots and lots of great outdoor spots with creeks, bridges and a lookout tower up high. I run there a lot since there are hills (hills in dallas gasp) and there will usually be someone doing photo's. definately have a rolling cart for your gear though.

The colony is great since I'm right at the lake. So any lake shots are easy to find a location

rjharris
Goldmember
1,090 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 02, 2013 10:36 |  #643

Thanks, that gives me a start anyways.

swampler
879 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 02, 2013 20:12 |  #644

rjharris wrote in post #16174319 (external link)

The schools here (Wilson County, Tennessee) also contract with Prestige and you must use them for the yearbook photo, but it isn't free. They have a range of options including a basic for $20 which is what we're doing for our son and I will do his other senior shots myself. I've heard the packages are $400 to $500 here.

Steve

rjharris
Goldmember
1,090 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 02, 2013 21:28 |  #645

swampler wrote in post #16176685 (external link)
The schools here (Wilson County, Tennessee) also contract with Prestige and you must use them for the yearbook photo, but it isn't free. They have a range of options including a basic for $20 which is what we're doing for our son and I will do his other senior shots myself. I've heard the packages are $400 to $500 here.

Prestige has to take the year book photo for free if the kids get it taken by a specific date(in their studio), I think it's early August but am not sure about that. After that I think they have to pay $10.00 to get it taken. Mind you this is just a digital file that gets sent to the year book department for the yearbook, everybody looks the same, they get no prints from that. Prestige then makes their money by selling packages if the students want to buy them. If your a senior and you want your picture in the yearbook you have to have it done by Prestige though. Your 4 - 500 dollar range sounds about right I think.

sponsored links

1,134,428 views & 3,098 likes for this thread
How to photograph a high school Senior - Part 2
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.