Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 30 Jul 2013 (Tuesday) 08:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Onsite Digital Picture delivery.

sydneyshooter
43 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Jul 30, 2013 08:09 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban
SPAM PUT AWAY
This post is marked as spam.
sponsored links
DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jul 30, 2013 08:56 |  #2

sydneyshooter wrote in post #16166098 (external link)
I do a type of event work where I have been printing and delivering images on USB.
Due to constant problems with the printers in the environment I work in and problems with sending pics out etc, I'd like to go to total Digital delivery so the people have their pics in their hands there and then and there is no chance for them to go astray.

I can put them on USB but I'm also thinking of uploading direct to smart phones r any other practical and different way of delivery as another alternative.

I can set up servers and networks, build computers, engines, do electrical, plumbing, building work, Fly a plane, drive a tractor, forklift, motorcycle, shoot anything with a camera from a P&S Digital to an 8x10 View camera, run commercial printing labs, photo studios and do endless other things with no problem, but when it comes to Mobile phones, anything past making a call or taking 10 min to send a simple text message and I'm lost completely and utterly.

Is it practical to send a picture from a computer/ laptop to a persons phone when they are standing in front of you with a line of people behind them. Obviously speed is of the essence. If so, what's involved, how long will it take and is it reliable? If I wanted to upload say 5 or 10 full res images, is that going to be time effective as would be with a USB drive?

Do I need cables for each and every phone or can it be done simply and quickly by wireless/ blue tooth etc?

Are there any other ways to quickly and reliably get an Image to someone electronically?
I do NOT want to be arsing about uploading pics to some image host for download so that one is out. Disks are also too much mucking around on a number of levels, been there, done that, not going there again.

Thanks in anticipation for any help.

The best onsite digital picture delivery I've found is a printer. Currently, I'm using a Canon ip4920, which turns out an 8"x11" print in less than two minutes. If someone wants a picture file, I get an E-mail address and send the file as an attachment from the notebook PC I'm using at the event. From my experience and from observing others who handle event picture sales, there aren't enough potential customers who want image files to put any effort into that method. Offering actual on-the-spot prints attracts customers, and image files are too impersonal to reach non-photographers.

I've had good luck with a series of Canon inkjet printers, and the ip4920 works very well with no trouble. Other photographers prefer dye-sublimation printers, although the best model may be an older Olympus unit. (external link)

sydneyshooter
THREAD ­ STARTER
43 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Jul 30, 2013 11:25 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban
SPAM PUT AWAY
sydneyshooter
THREAD ­ STARTER
43 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Jul 31, 2013 10:57 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban
SPAM PUT AWAY
Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jul 31, 2013 12:10 as a reply to  @ sydneyshooter's post |  #5

IMO your not going to want to deal with plugging each persons phone into your computer. Every other option I can think of is App based. Apps like bump allow transfer from computer to phone or phone to phone, but then everyone would need that app. Maybe something like dropbox, but again each person would need that app on their phone.

The best way I can think of would be email. You could upload to dropbox folders and share the link to that folder in an email to the client, then they go right from email to dropbox website.

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 31, 2013 14:31 |  #6

i vote for droxbox/skydrive et al and email or text the link. or you can set up an online storage on your personal site and link to it to circumvent storage limits.

Canon 5d mkii | Canon 17-40/4L | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2008

Jul 31, 2013 14:48 |  #7

how about an eyefi card and a laptop or tablet? Images go straight from camera to that device, then you could easily email it to the customer right there? Might not be practical if they want a lot of photos, but if it's like a couple shot at a party etc, that might be viable?

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

pyro1
Goldmember
1,237 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Feb 2012

Aug 02, 2013 08:25 as a reply to  @ phantelope's post |  #8

I use two DNP dye subs to print at events, my Darkroom software is set up so I can email them a copy of their photo at the time we print it. If they just want the digital file, we can email that to them as a stand alone purchase. The dye subs will print an 8x10 in 30 seconds.

Twin 1DX, 5D mk III - EF 16-35 f/2.8L II USM - EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM - EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS USM II - EF 100-400 f/4.5 L IS USM - EF 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS USM - EF 85mm f/1.2 L II USM - Tam 24-70 f/2.8 Di VC - 580EXII - Einsteins & CyberSync System - Vagabond Mini -
My smugmug (external link) My Facebook (external link)

sspellman
Goldmember
1,731 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 02, 2013 08:59 |  #9

An assistant who operates the printer could certainly compose and send an email in less time. However, most people see more value in physical products. USBs are just as fast as email, can be printed with your logo, and are under $6 in quantity.

ScottSpellmanMedia.com [photography]

sydneyshooter
THREAD ­ STARTER
43 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Aug 02, 2013 09:42 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban
SPAM PUT AWAY
aphphoto
423 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 02, 2013 10:52 as a reply to  @ sydneyshooter's post |  #11

Will you have good cellular service at every event?
I do motorsports, some of the tracks have pretty sketchy service to start with and then on a big event weekend with everyone having a smartphone sucking up the bandwidth the service becomes non-existent. I have access to WifFi in all the media centers but, again, so many people sending so much data and the service slows to a crawl.

who gives a rat crap how much gear you can list?

sydneyshooter
THREAD ­ STARTER
43 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Aug 02, 2013 12:17 |  #12
bannedPermanent ban
SPAM PUT AWAY
archer1960
Goldmember
4,930 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 02, 2013 12:41 |  #13

sspellman wrote in post #16175139 (external link)
An assistant who operates the printer could certainly compose and send an email in less time. However, most people see more value in physical products. USBs are just as fast as email, can be printed with your logo, and are under $6 in quantity.

iPhones and iPads don't have USB slots that you can plug a flash drive into, so they would have to take it home to their desktop (or other device), if they have one. Email often has size limits, but if you're only selling lower-resolution digital images (like 1024 on the long edge), you should be ok with that.

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Aug 02, 2013 12:44 as a reply to  @ sydneyshooter's post |  #14

Outlook would be what I would use, you can compose more then one message at a time too. Just set up a signature that has all the info for the event and anything else you want, you start a new email, the signature block is already there, type in their address, select the photos and wait for them to attache. While waiting move onto the next person, then every so often go back and send the emails that are ready. You can even drag and drop into the email if that is easier then browsing and selecting.

That being said, I would not want to limit myself to a 1gig data plan, I have 8gigs and there are months I suck that up doing a lot of work from my phone. Check into a service plan that has unlimited data if there are any around you.

Sens0r
90 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Aug 02, 2013 14:19 as a reply to  @ Littlejon Dsgn's post |  #15

Nothing is as convenient as e-mail for digital image delivery.

Not everyone has dropbox (even though I like it and use it myself), and not everyone has a USB thumbdrive (believe it or not), but almost everyone has an email.

My profile on 500px.com (external link) | Follow me on Instagram (external link)
Canon 600D | Canon EF-S 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 IS II | Canon EF 50mm 1.8 | Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 SP Di VC USD XLD | YN-560II

sponsored links

2,414 views & 0 likes for this thread
Onsite Digital Picture delivery.
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.