Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 26 Jan 2013 (Saturday) 10:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A New Bare Bulb Flash Arrives

windpig
Chopped liver
14,915 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 02, 2013 13:02 |  #2161

BigIronCruiser wrote in post #16175648 (external link)
There is a stiffener ring halfway between the inner and outer edges of the BD. The stiffeners apparently have hinged connectors that snap/lock into place to prevent the BD from inadvertently collapsing. It would be similar to the way fiberglass poles on tent structures are held together, except this design wouldn't require a bungee cord to hold the joints together. I'll know for sure sometime next week;). Edward said that Gary Fong fell in love with these things.

What, this beauty dish is meant to be bounced?:cool:

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

sponsored links
mmmfotografie
hanging up-side-down in a cave
2,114 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Aug 02, 2013 13:22 |  #2162

Whortleberry wrote in post #16175409 (external link)
1) I can find the two-to-one Y-cable and the one-to-two splitter cable but no sign of the protective cap and those are my most urgent needs. Be a good guy, give the rest us benighted Europeans a bit of a clue where you found them. Or be an even better guy and drop a link in your next post. ;)

I don't use e-bay any more for Chinese sellers. Better you go to Aliexpress.com and it is the same stuff I get over here if it is available.

search for: "Godox DB-02 two-in-one cable Y adapter" and "Godox Flash Speedlite AD-180 AD-360 Accessories Bulb Lamp Metal Protector"

The last one is sold per ten pieces/lot and you can ask the sellers if combining with other items the if they want to sell only one.

2) Unfortunately, I don't think the 360 mounting plate will fit the 180 base. It's a different shape (perhaps amendable with a needle file, I don't know for sure) but more importantly the threaded inserts in the 180 would be in the wrong places. Hence it'd be most difficult to screw the plate into place.You could, I suppose, in theory get a spare 180 plate from somewhere (don't ask, I don't know), remove the hotshoe and mini-PCB and insert a ¼" 20tpi insert. HOWEVER, there's a dirty great capacitor sitting right at the very bottom of the 180 body so I don't really think that this is do-able. Not 100% safely anyway, the insert would be rather too close for comfort to that capacitor. But I'd LOVE to be proved wrong!

I have the AD360 ;-)a

Thanks for the tip on the stuff to use to repair the gap in the battery pack Whortleberry. I got glue based on Polyurethane and it took two day's before it was hardened.

BigIronCruiser
167 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2013

Aug 02, 2013 13:45 |  #2163

windpig wrote in post #16175731 (external link)
What, this beauty dish is meant to be bounced?:cool:

Do you think Fong only eats his own dog food?

windpig
Chopped liver
14,915 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 02, 2013 14:10 |  #2164

:)....

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

Whortleberry
Goldmember
1,719 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Aug 02, 2013 16:36 |  #2165

mmmfotografie wrote in post #16175774 (external link)
I don't use e-bay any more for Chinese sellers. Better you go to Aliexpress.com and it is the same stuff I get over here if it is available.

search for: "Godox DB-02 two-in-one cable Y adapter" and "Godox Flash Speedlite AD-180 AD-360 Accessories Bulb Lamp Metal Protector"

The last one is sold per ten pieces/lot and you can ask the sellers if combining with other items the if they want to sell only one.

I have the AD360 ;-)a

Thanks for the tip on the stuff to use to repair the gap in the battery pack Whortleberry. I got glue based on Polyurethane and it took two day's before it was hardened.

Mmmm, don't like the Bank Account or Credit Card access that AliExpress allows so no joy there for me, unfortunately.

Actually, I searched generally rather than specifics like AliExpress or fleaBay - I guess it all depends on what tags folks put on their items. I shall try again, I want at least 4 so a 10-lot is no problem; I could always sell the spares to other Europeans. Thanks for the link though.

If you have the AD360, you should already have the screw-fit base. Not in your delivery box? I'm puzzled.

You're very welcome about the glue, Araldite has served me extremely well for little repairs over the years / decades but I never tried a PU-based glue. 2 days is a long time to cure, perhaps it was the heat?

Edit: Also available in singles on eBay from the same dealer at http://www.ebay.com …ories&hash=item​3384094164 (external link)
Trouble is, only one end is capped so useless for storing spare tubes, which is what I wanted. Looks like CheetahStand scoop the pool yet again unless I misunderstand and theirs too only has one cap!

Edit edit: :rolleyes: Nope, their illustrations definitely show a cap at each end - proper job!. This is beginning to look like a bit of cajoling on my part coming up and then paying USPS stupid amounts of money.

Phil ǁ Kershaw Soho Reflex: 4¼" Ross Xpres, 6½" Aldis, Super XX/ABC Pyro in 24 DDS, HP3/Meritol Metol in RFH, Johnson 'Scales' brand flash powder. Kodak Duo Six-20/Verichrome Pan. Other odd bits over the decades, simply to get the job done - not merely to polish and brag about cos I'm too mean to buy the polish!
FlickR (external link) ◄► "The Other Yongnuo User Guide v4.12" by Clive Bolton (external link) ◄► UK Railway Photographs 1906-79 (external link)

ZoranC
285 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 02, 2013 21:49 |  #2166

dmward wrote in post #16174493 (external link)
ZoranC, Hope all goes well. Everything is a distant second to health for self and loved ones.

Thank you! That is exactly how I too feel.

ZoranC
285 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 02, 2013 21:54 |  #2167

BigIronCruiser wrote in post #16175202 (external link)
FYI - Edward has the new collapsible beauty dish listed on his site.

This one https://www.cheetahsta​nd.com/product-p/q33wbd.htm (external link) ?

I wish I knew that when I was ordering accessories the other day so I don't have to spend on shipping twice. Oh well.

elv
Goldmember
1,490 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Aug 03, 2013 00:36 |  #2168

ZoranC wrote in post #16174337 (external link)
10' sounds more than enough so my guess is 9' is good middle ground guess.

... and if I could also get single straight 4' and 9' cable from L4500 to Canon and to Nikon then I feel cables would be complete, without it I can't get rid of my Nikon external battery packs (4' is for events when battery pack is on my belt in the back).

Thanks Zoran, Ok 9' sounds fine.

The reason I was thinking shorter, was actually for hand holding the flash as well (pack on belt). With the tension on the coiled cord it makes the CL-360 twice as heavy as it needs to be. Pull the cord out and I can hold the 360 are arms reach easily. So 4' would do there, 5' would be safer.

I'll pass this in to Edward and Godox and see if they can get something happening. My though would be if they can only do one cord, 9' would be the one, as (although not ideal) you can still roll some up.

Are you sure a straight 4' cord will be practical though for flash on camera? I've never used one and most are coiled, would straight dangle and get caught easily etc?

FLASHHAVOC.COM (external link)

Ginga
370 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Aug 03, 2013 03:15 |  #2169

dmward wrote in post #16175264 (external link)
I think (not sure) that the updated firmware to support the 5DIII, 1Dx will be implemented into all the Cells II product. The key will be to find out from Godox when that is occurring and how to ensure you are getting the new version.

Ah, that would be nice. But I looked at their website, and there is nowhere to download new firmware / software for their products.

Mailing them is not an option either. I tried before, but they never answer.

Sony A7R * 70-200 2.8L II * 24-70L II * Samyang 14
Recently sold: 5DIII * Sigma 35 *

mmmfotografie
2,114 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Aug 03, 2013 05:10 |  #2170

Whortleberry wrote in post #16176280 (external link)
Mmmm, don't like the Bank Account or Credit Card access that AliExpress allows so no joy there for me, unfortunately.

Actually, I searched generally rather than specifics like AliExpress or fleaBay - I guess it all depends on what tags folks put on their items. I shall try again, I want at least 4 so a 10-lot is no problem; I could always sell the spares to other Europeans. Thanks for the link though.

If you have the AD360, you should already have the screw-fit base. Not in your delivery box? I'm puzzled.

You're very welcome about the glue, Araldite has served me extremely well for little repairs over the years / decades but I never tried a PU-based glue. 2 days is a long time to cure, perhaps it was the heat?

Edit: Also available in singles on eBay from the same dealer at http://www.ebay.com …ories&hash=item​3384094164 (external link)
Trouble is, only one end is capped so useless for storing spare tubes, which is what I wanted. Looks like CheetahStand scoop the pool yet again unless I misunderstand and theirs too only has one cap!

Edit edit: :rolleyes: Nope, their illustrations definitely show a cap at each end - proper job!. This is beginning to look like a bit of cajoling on my part coming up and then paying USPS stupid amounts of money.

In my Godox box there was no screw-fit base and the hot-shoe was fit to the AD360. I am now also puzzled so I think it is wise to get in touch with the shop to inform about this.

For every credit card transaction you have to state your card information again so no credit card information is stored in your Aliexpress profile.

It is the same seller on eBay as on Aliexpress and I don't have to store a spare one and I have a bag were I can put all the AD360 stuff in and have a cap over the flashbulb.

Those small parts can be sent by normal post with proof of acceptance and don't need to have UPS to deliver them. As long I stay under $29 I even do not pay any extra costs customs and extra handling. Packages from the USA will be checked each time at customs but those from China go strait trough and I even got my 7" tablet from china and a Android TV stick which are move expensive than $29. ;)

Whortleberry
Goldmember
1,719 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Aug 03, 2013 05:38 |  #2171

Ginga wrote in post #16177292 (external link)
Ah, that would be nice. But I looked at their website, and there is nowhere to download new firmware / software for their products.

Mailing them is not an option either. I tried before, but they never answer.

That's unusual. I had 3 very charming and extremely prompt replies to queries about official resellers from Lindy Huang in Godox Customer Service Dept. Try an email to lindy "AT" godox.com or MSN to lindyhuang1 "AT" hotmail.com and see what happens. I suspect that queries to the general "godox@..........." address may get inundated and/or buried - perhaps a query to a specific person will fare better? Hope so.

Phil ǁ Kershaw Soho Reflex: 4¼" Ross Xpres, 6½" Aldis, Super XX/ABC Pyro in 24 DDS, HP3/Meritol Metol in RFH, Johnson 'Scales' brand flash powder. Kodak Duo Six-20/Verichrome Pan. Other odd bits over the decades, simply to get the job done - not merely to polish and brag about cos I'm too mean to buy the polish!
FlickR (external link) ◄► "The Other Yongnuo User Guide v4.12" by Clive Bolton (external link) ◄► UK Railway Photographs 1906-79 (external link)

Whortleberry
Goldmember
1,719 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Aug 03, 2013 06:36 |  #2172

mmmfotografie wrote in post #16177399 (external link)
(1) In my Godox box there was no screw-fit base and the hot-shoe was fit to the AD360. I am now also puzzled so I think it is wise to get in touch with the shop to inform about this.

(2)For every credit card transaction you have to state your card information again so no credit card information is stored in your Aliexpress profile.

(3)It is the same seller on eBay as on Aliexpress and I don't have to store a spare one and I have a bag were I can put all the AD360 stuff in and have a cap over the flashbulb.

(4) Those small parts can be sent by normal post with proof of acceptance and don't need to have UPS to deliver them. As long I stay under $29 I even do not pay any extra costs customs and extra handling. Packages from the USA will be checked each time at customs but those from China go strait trough and I even got my 7" tablet from china and a Android TV stick which are move expensive than $29. ;)

(1) I've not actually seen a single, solitary listing anywhere where both bases aren't included in the package. Yes, I think I too would query back to the original vendor - I understand that it's a standard part so you ought to have had it. Here's a screenshot of the first vendor I happened to drop on who sells the 360 - no significance to the vendor other than they are on the list I got direct from Godox Customer Service of genuine vendors. I certainly didn't search for someone just to support my contention about both bases being included.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

(2) I don't use credit cards. Everything is paid for from an offshore bank account completely isolated from my normal banking. I know 2 people whose banks have been raided through security failures and while these were eventually sorted out, it took nearly a year with no access to their bank accounts. No mortgages got paid, each had to collect their salary in cash - nightmare. Hence, I am extremely careful about isolating bank details - they can raid the offshore one to their heart's delight as nothing is kept in there over EUR€1. Any outgoings are covered by deposits in cash immediately prior to the purchase.
(3) That's good news for you. In your situation, I'd have bought the snoot set and used the otherwise useless tubular one as protection. Wouldn't cover my needs though as they are different. Always useful information to have though so thanks again for the contact details.
(4) Different countries, different rules, different hoops to jump through. I was once (and only once, I made sure of that!) even hit for export duty from the USA :cry: The only thing certain is that there will definitely be hoops - and as many other essential safeguards :rolleyes: as they can dream of - to make our lives as utterly awkward as possible. We live in such trusting societies - NOT!

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 03, 2013 07:39 |  #2173

Whortleberry wrote in post #16177421 (external link)
That's unusual. I had 3 very charming and extremely prompt replies to queries about official resellers from Lindy Huang in Godox Customer Service Dept. Try an email to indy@godox.com (external link) or MSN to indyhuang1@hotmail.com (external link) and see what happens. I suspect that queries to the general "godox@..........." address may get inundated and/or buried - perhaps a query to a specific person will fare better? Hope so.

If you want to be nice with people, you should consider not post their mail addresses in full clear-text like that. Too much robots scanning web pages for mail addresses to spam.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

mmmfotografie
2,114 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Aug 03, 2013 08:12 |  #2174

Whortleberry wrote in post #16177469 (external link)
(2) I don't use credit cards. Everything is paid for from an offshore bank account completely isolated from my normal banking. I know 2 people whose banks have been raided through security failures and while these were eventually sorted out, it took nearly a year with no access to their bank accounts. No mortgages got paid, each had to collect their salary in cash - nightmare. Hence, I am extremely careful about isolating bank details - they can raid the offshore one to their heart's delight as nothing is kept in there over EUR€1. Any outgoings are covered by deposits in cash immediately prior to the purchase.

(4) Different countries, different rules, different hoops to jump through. I was once (and only once, I made sure of that!) even hit for export duty from the USA :cry: The only thing certain is that there will definitely be hoops - and as many other essential safeguards :rolleyes: as they can dream of - to make our lives as utterly awkward as possible. We live in such trusting societies - NOT!

I have my credit card through moneybookers/skrill so I have to convey money to it before I can pay with it. It is no way connected to my bank account. If I don't put enough money on it then the transaction is not completed. I buy in my browser in one screen and in a other screen I put the money on the credit card and then I can complete the transaction.

The USA is indeed a strange land and the firms from there do strange things and when our journalists ask why they do that they say that they can't explain it because the government of the USA does not allow them to explain it to us by law!?!?

So eBay is now banned by me because of tax evasion in the Netherlands. They sent Marktplaats fake invoices for marketing, to top-off the profits Marktplaats is making. Marktplaats is not paying taxes in their own country. Marktplaats is a part of eBay.

Whortleberry
Goldmember
1,719 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Aug 03, 2013 08:39 |  #2175

pwm2 wrote in post #16177510 (external link)
If you want to be nice with people, you should consider not post their mail addresses in full clear-text like that. Too much robots scanning web pages for mail addresses to spam.

Business contact addresses, freely available on Godox's own website if you know where to look. Not secret in any way.

sponsored links

1,298,460 views & 272 likes for this thread
A New Bare Bulb Flash Arrives
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.