Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 26 Jan 2013 (Saturday) 10:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A New Bare Bulb Flash Arrives

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 03, 2013 08:57 |  #2176

Whortleberry wrote in post #16177606 (external link)
Business contact addresses, freely available on Godox's own website if you know where to look. Not secret in any way.

Just that lots of mail addresses that looks like "freely available" aren't - they are just presented in a way that makes them readable by a visitor but hard to read by a computer.

It really is a very good discipline to be careful with all presentation of email addresses in public web pages.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

sponsored links
Whortleberry
Goldmember
1,719 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Aug 03, 2013 13:14 |  #2177

I'm very well aware of the issues surrounding email addresses. This is why I did nothing more than cut and paste the addresses already published. I'm sure that if Godox or anyone else want to take security measures, be they something as simple as substituting "commercial AT" for @ or something more refined, then they would have done so. Far be it from me to determine how other businesses control flow of their communications.

However, as you feel it is necessary for you to police other people's websites and contact details, I have changed the addresses to comply with your perceived needs. I shall leave it to you to notify Godox and the myriad other transgressors of the error of their ways.

Phil ǁ Kershaw Soho Reflex: 4¼" Ross Xpres, 6½" Aldis, Super XX/ABC Pyro in 24 DDS, HP3/Meritol Metol in RFH, Johnson 'Scales' brand flash powder. Kodak Duo Six-20/Verichrome Pan. Other odd bits over the decades, simply to get the job done - not merely to polish and brag about cos I'm too mean to buy the polish!
FlickR (external link) ◄► "The Other Yongnuo User Guide v4.12" by Clive Bolton (external link) ◄► UK Railway Photographs 1906-79 (external link)

Gareth ­ O'Neill
42 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Aug 03, 2013 15:38 |  #2178

pwm2 wrote in post #16177510 (external link)
If you want to be nice with people, you should consider not post their mail addresses in full clear-text like that. Too much robots scanning web pages for mail addresses to spam.

haha, now you need to edit your quote.

kidsphotos.co.nz (external link)

elv
Goldmember
1,490 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Aug 04, 2013 00:15 as a reply to  @ Gareth O'Neill's post |  #2179

Great news for all the HSS lovers here :-)

The new Phottix Odin ODS pre-sync timing is getting great results with the Cheetah Lights.

I thought they would at least match the Cells II, but its more like 2/3rds of a stop ahead!, and 1 whole stop ahead of the YN-622C and King Pro.

That's like a whole second CL flash unit. Its only a tiny bit off matching an ND filter now (with the action stopping shutter speeds ND filters don't provide).

I'm using Canon and crop cameras, so I don't know yet how the full frame will compare.

But this is good news for Nikon users, as this is very likely the best HSS trigger option. Although at $330 a set not particularly cheap. They are excellent TTL triggers though too.

FLASHHAVOC.COM (external link)

mmmfotografie
hanging up-side-down in a cave
2,114 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Aug 04, 2013 15:20 |  #2180

elv wrote in post #16179333 (external link)
Great news for all the HSS lovers here :-)

The new Phottix Odin ODS pre-sync timing is getting great results with the Cheetah Lights.

I thought they would at least match the Cells II, but its more like 2/3rds of a stop ahead!, and 1 whole stop ahead of the YN-622C and King Pro.

That's like a whole second CL flash unit. Its only a tiny bit off matching an ND filter now (with the action stopping shutter speeds ND filters don't provide).

I'm using Canon and crop cameras, so I don't know yet how the full frame will compare.

But this is good news for Nikon users, as this is very likely the best HSS trigger option. Although at $330 a set not particularly cheap. They are excellent TTL triggers though too.

Good to read that Phottix have great results with the flashes and I can reach also excellent results with the PocketWizards. It is not easy and I have put the settings of the PW's to extremes settings for my 5D MKIII and switch back to standard channels on my TT1/TT5.

1/8000 second is not really stops the action because the total duration of the travel of the curtain is the same as at x-sync. Yes the flash pulses are very short but only stopping that bit of action that is exposes by that flash pulse. By the next pulse the object can have moved.

I got a picture were you can see every pulse of light emitted by my AD360/CL360 when it is in HSS mode. The pulses are not regular spread over the frame as can be seen.

To really stop action (freeze) you needs a very powerful and short light pulse or a electronic shutter. The last will be the best solution to stop action in combination with a short pulse of light because there will be no spillage of generated light and you need not huge amounts of flash power.

http://www.flickr.com …mmmfotografie/9​239226403/ (external link)

elv
Goldmember
1,490 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Aug 04, 2013 22:27 |  #2181

mmmfotografie wrote in post #16180705 (external link)
Good to read that Phottix have great results with the flashes and I can reach also excellent results with the PocketWizards. It is not easy and I have put the settings of the PW's to extremes settings for my 5D MKIII and switch back to standard channels on my TT1/TT5.

1/8000 second is not really stops the action because the total duration of the travel of the curtain is the same as at x-sync. Yes the flash pulses are very short but only stopping that bit of action that is exposes by that flash pulse. By the next pulse the object can have moved.

I got a picture were you can see every pulse of light emitted by my AD360/CL360 when it is in HSS mode. The pulses are not regular spread over the frame as can be seen.

http://www.flickr.com …mmmfotografie/9​239226403/ (external link)

Thanks, yes provided the PocketWizards can reach a the full range of timing the results should be similar. But the Odin are also extremely quick and simple to adjust in comparison. If anyone can compare the Cells II and PW result that would be great.

No offence but the argument the HSS does not stop action is very tiring. It stops action exactly the same as fast shutter speeds in the sun or any continuous light. Which is huge advantages over staying at 1/250th etc. Most sport and action is much sharper at 1/1000th+. Distortion is rarely an issue for this type of thing.

I'm not sure why you're getting the lines, Dave had some in his images with the full frame Nikon as well. So maybe the slower full frame shutter is causing that. It does look quite bad there, but is it really noticeable if the image is exposed correctly though? In these ones it looks like the 580EX has the same effect, but in real use its not really an issue - http://www.flickr.com …4/sizes/k/in/ph​otostream/ (external link)

FLASHHAVOC.COM (external link)

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 04, 2013 22:59 |  #2182

Normally, HSS means the pulses should come so often that as the slit moves over the sensor, each part of the sensor sees multiple pulses before the slit have moved too far.

If HSS is using 50kHz pulse frequency, and the camera has 1/4000 shutter speed, and the actual travel speed of the shutter curtain is 1/250, then the slit width would be 250/4000 = 1/16 of the sensor and there would be 50000/250 = 200 pulses during the full travel of the slit. So the slit width should be big enough for about 12 pulses, i.e. each pulse (seen or not) should represent about 10% of the light seen by the individual sensor pixels. At 1/8000, there would be time for about 6 pulses hitting individual sensor pixels while the slit moves over the sensor.

I really can't understand why there are these narrow bands seen, unless there is some interference there meaning the sensor sees 11, 12, 11, 12, 11, 12, 11, 12 pulses.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

mmmfotografie
hanging up-side-down in a cave
2,114 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Aug 05, 2013 05:47 |  #2183

I always seen high shutter speeds as method to keep out to much light if you need a low aperture for a picture. I made a setup with a cooling fan with a pen marking on it and then you see with HSS the marking ghosting as the edges of the blades do. Below x-sync and a very fast flash (1/10000/s) you see smearing of the marking so the fan is moving fast enough to even not be frozen at that high speed.

In normal life HSS will be sufficient to "freeze" objects in a picture as ELV wrote.

About seeing the lines of the separate pulses when in HSS mode I suspected first my ambient light source with is a TL-tube but switching it of did not change anything. It must be the travelling of the curtains that causes it as PWM2 wrote. The variance in the hight of the lines can be caused by the acceleration and slowing down of the curtain when opening or closing them. Then I also suspect that the AD360(CL360) is not pulsing at 50KHz but a lower value.

I will try also with my 1D MKII if I see the lines using the cropped sensor. The travelling speed of the curtains should be higher then on a full-frame camera.

With 1D MKII the lines are also clearly visible at 1/8 setting on my AD360. I am getting worried about it and is someone willing to test it at the lowest HSS setting of the flash?

Update: also on full power of the flash I get the lines. I can only trigger it with my PocketWizards and not with any other releases even a sync cable won't keep up.

Update: I checked the 580EX picture on lines and there are none present and what you see are the markings of two CD towers that have stood on that spot years ago.

hbomb69
255 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 05, 2013 16:16 as a reply to  @ mmmfotografie's post |  #2184

Elv,

Have you experienced this 'banding' issue with the Cells II trigger in HSS.?
Any chance you could look at a couple of your shots at zoom 100% to see if this is happening.?.

thanks Mike..:D

CANON 5D MKIII x 2 / CANON 50D / CANON 550D
http://www.michaelhard​castle.co.uk (external link)
Facebook.com/michaelha​rdcastlephotography

jay_jay_n
165 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 05, 2013 19:19 |  #2185

This is seriously a lot to of pages to read, but I really just wanted to sort out reviews of people's experiences with the 360's, still i jumped the gun and ordered it =D, I feel this will perfectly replace one of my alienbees with a huge tronix explorer for quick on the go shoot's. All i'm worried about is reliability , but I still have a hundred+ pages to read and hopefully find out.

7D Gripped with RRS BGE7-L Plate and WFT-E5A Linked to my iPad, 40D with RRS B40DL Plate, Canon BG-E7 Battery Grip, RRS B87-QR Portrait Perfect Packge Bracket, RRS 60mm B2 LR II, 60mm Canon Macro, 30mm 1.4 Sigma, 17-55mm Canon EF-S IS f2.8, Photoflex 650, Innovatronix 1200WS, Spider Holster w/ RRS B2 LR II, 580exII, Modified 550ex, Benro Travel Angel C-2691M8 Carbon Fiber tripod, Manfrotto 685B Neotec Monopod, Think Tank Retrospective 20

jay_jay_n
165 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 05, 2013 19:44 |  #2186

also I was curious has anyone tried a 48" octa light box with the 360?

http://www.amazon.com …ohs_product?ie=​UTF8&psc=1 (external link)

7D Gripped with RRS BGE7-L Plate and WFT-E5A Linked to my iPad, 40D with RRS B40DL Plate, Canon BG-E7 Battery Grip, RRS B87-QR Portrait Perfect Packge Bracket, RRS 60mm B2 LR II, 60mm Canon Macro, 30mm 1.4 Sigma, 17-55mm Canon EF-S IS f2.8, Photoflex 650, Innovatronix 1200WS, Spider Holster w/ RRS B2 LR II, 580exII, Modified 550ex, Benro Travel Angel C-2691M8 Carbon Fiber tripod, Manfrotto 685B Neotec Monopod, Think Tank Retrospective 20

ZoranC
285 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 05, 2013 21:21 |  #2187

My 2-to-1 cables have arrived, nothing much to say here, it takes one second to put it on, works exactly as advertised, recycle is twice faster (2 seconds to recharge CL360 at full power pop), very much worth it to me.

ZoranC
285 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 05, 2013 21:37 |  #2188

jay_jay_n wrote in post #16184024 (external link)
All i'm worried about is reliability , but I still have a hundred+ pages to read and hopefully find out.

While it is too early to speak about long term reliability I find it very encouraging that we haven't heard a single report of reliability issues so far.

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 05, 2013 21:57 |  #2189

jay_jay_n wrote in post #16184076 (external link)
also I was curious has anyone tried a 48" octa light box with the 360?

http://www.amazon.com …ohs_product?ie=​UTF8&psc=1 (external link)

Not sure what you want to know.
I have several of the Fotodiox octas, ranging from about 36" up to the big one.
All are EZ-Pros. They fit onto the Pro Bracket with an Bowens adapter. The 360/180 head goes past the vertical bracket opening with a bit of giggling to get the tightening knob past. Once that's accomplished its possible to get the flash tube into optimum position.

I think the images showing how to position the tube are back about 1830 in this thread.

With the tube in proper position the modifier works great with the expected light output fall off.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

Nikkor316
38 posts
Joined May 2013

Aug 05, 2013 22:06 |  #2190

dmward wrote in post #16184381 (external link)
Not sure what you want to know.
I have several of the Fotodiox octas, ranging from about 36" up to the big one.
All are EZ-Pros. They fit onto the Pro Bracket with an Bowens adapter. The 360/180 head goes past the vertical bracket opening with a bit of giggling to get the tightening knob past. Once that's accomplished its possible to get the flash tube into optimum position.

I think the images showing how to position the tube are back about 1830 in this thread.

With the tube in proper position the modifier works great with the expected light output fall off.

David, I have the PCB folding octa softboxes for which I also use the Bowens adapter/speedring when attaching the CL360. How do the Fotodiox EX-Pros compare to the PCB ones (material, light quality, operation, durability, etc.)? Thanks.

Matt

sponsored links

1,298,925 views & 272 likes for this thread
A New Bare Bulb Flash Arrives
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.