Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 03 Aug 2013 (Saturday) 21:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Backup, backup, BACKUP!!! OMG

CelticRavenVA
207 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 03, 2013 21:13 |  #1

So simple start to this one... You have a massive amount of data to backup. Short of a $25,000 tape drive solution what are we doing? If you are archiving and backing up more then 1TB let us know what you are doing.

I am searching for something that will work for years of photos in the 1.8TB range and growing all the time.

CelticRaven
:p ~if you take me too seriously your head might explode~ :lol:

sponsored links
mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,340 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 03, 2013 21:16 |  #2

The most practical is to get a few USB hard drives and rotate them off-site. 4TB USB 3.0 drives are going for $160-200 on Amazon.

DanAnCan
387 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 03, 2013 21:19 |  #3

I have a back up for my back up :-)

having 3 copies of everything is a lot of work, but ill never lose data again

Canon 5D3/5D2/8-15L/24-70LII/Σ35/85LII/135L/200L F2/Σ300 EX DG/EF TC 1.4 & 2X III/EX580 II/ PCB Busy Bee Kit

DanAnCan
387 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 03, 2013 21:20 |  #4

I use internal HDD's with a USB SATA dock

Canon 5D3/5D2/8-15L/24-70LII/Σ35/85LII/135L/200L F2/Σ300 EX DG/EF TC 1.4 & 2X III/EX580 II/ PCB Busy Bee Kit

BioSci
412 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 03, 2013 21:23 as a reply to  @ DanAnCan's post |  #5

I have two 2TB external USB drives. About once a week I back everything of importance to one of them, then swap them. I don't have offsite storage available, so I keep the backup of my backup in a fireproof box in the basement.

EOS R | 7D | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L | 17-55 f/2.8 | 11-16 f/2.8

Tyo Photography (external link)

Tony_Stark
Shellhead
4,287 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 03, 2013 21:30 |  #6

1 Drive - OS (128GB SSD)
2 Drive - pure photo storage (3TB)
3 Drive - time machine back up of OS drive and picture drive (3TB), back ups every hour.

Nikon D810 | 24-70/2.8G | 58/1.4G
EOS M | 22 f/2 STM

Website (external link) | flickr (external link)

Gomar
527 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 03, 2013 21:42 |  #7

CelticRavenVA wrote in post #16179063 (external link)
work for years of photos in the 1.8TB range and growing all the time.

Easily backed up to a nice external USB 3TB HDD.

http://www.jr.com/seag​ate/pe/SAG_STCA3000101​/ (external link)

Erik ­ S. ­ Klein
uppity vermin fan
1,039 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 03, 2013 21:43 |  #8

I've answered this question here before. . . :)

I currently have a multi-tiered backup scheme with two local copies and two remote copies of just about everything.

On my PC I have a 3 TB RAID 5 array with a 3TB single drive acting as mirrors. I download images to one, copy them to the other at which point I feel semi-safe in clearing the cards.

I have two similar sized drives that I keep offsite. Every couple of weeks one comes home and gets updated with anything not on it (usually 3-5 weeks worth of images) and then goes back off site.

This system is about to change, though. I've managed to fill the 3TB array with stuff so I had to build a new solution.

I've got a new machine inbound which will be built with an 8+ TB array. Once that is populated and my off-site backups are both up to date I'll reconfigure the current machine so that the array is returned to individual drives. When all is said and done this machine will also have about 8TB of storage available. It will be my local backup.

Cards will download to the new machine, be copied over the network to the reconfigured old machine and will then be put on one of the offsite devices in due time.

I'm considering Carbonite or another cloud backup for extra security but that's not an expense I'm yet ready to eat... I don't think.

So, short answer: 2 local and 2 offsite copies of just about everything. :)

Gear List
www.vintage-computer.com (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 03, 2013 22:20 |  #9

I'll just chime in that if you scroll to the bottom of this page and look in the "Similar Threads" section, you'll note that your thread title triggered a forum "mini-search" that brought up some good results! Check them out!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

BrianS
412 posts
Joined May 2006

Aug 03, 2013 22:21 as a reply to  @ Erik S. Klein's post |  #10

I use CrashPlan to back up all my pictures and music. That's around 1TB. Besides of that I also backup to USB drives.

Canon 5D3, Leica M6, Fujifilm x100 & Olympus E-M5 | Walkabout Street (external link)

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 05, 2013 16:35 |  #11

Gomar wrote in post #16179119 (external link)
Easily backed up to a nice external USB 3TB HDD.

http://www.jr.com/seag​ate/pe/SAG_STCA3000101​/ (external link)

WOW! I'm loving that price!! $119!

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

Heath
Goldmember
2,332 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 05, 2013 16:53 |  #12

CelticRavenVA wrote in post #16179063 (external link)
years of photos in the 1.8TB range and growing all the time.

That's not that much data.

I use a Drobo 5D as my main drive, and then I have a Drobo Gen 2 that backs up the system.
I also have everything on the cloud with backblaze, currently about 2.5 TB.
I bought a 4TB drive as an off-site storage that I backup about every 2 months. Backblaze is the main off-site backup, but I use the 4TB drive because it will be faster to recover than to download off the cloud.

I use carbon copy cloner to backup the main drobo and my computers to the backup drobo.

Heath
"Some photographers push the envelope. Some sit behind a keyboard and criticize their accomplishments." (seen in the comments of a photo article)
Blog (external link)-Twitter (external link)-Zenfolio (external link)-500px (external link)-Pinterest (external link)-Gear List

aphphoto
423 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 05, 2013 17:27 |  #13

DanAnCan wrote in post #16179076 (external link)

Never say never. I know someone who lost her internal AND external drives at the same time. Not "lost" as in stolen or anything like that, lost as in non-booting laptop and inaccessible external. Luckily I was able to recover both of them. ;-)a

who gives a rat crap how much gear you can list?

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 05, 2013 17:44 |  #14

I have an old PC converted to a local hard drive farm.

I back up everything locally to that machine. This gives me 2 copies locally (the original plus the backup).

I use Crashplan as a third off-site backup. Since it is there in case BOTH of my local copies are not usable, I can tolerate the speed issue (although restore is MUCH faster than backup). Also, I don't have a business that depends on having instant access to the backed up files, so I can wait if I have to.

I don't use Carbonite because:
1. It won't backup attached hard drives (well, it will do 1 and only 1 attached drive, but you pay more money).
2. They do not have a reasonably priced multiple computer package.
3. The do not keep versions of files, only the latest copy.
3. (And the final deal-breaker) They will not keep your backup longer than 30 days. If your computer does not connect at least every 30 days, your entire backup is subject to being deleted from their servers. If you delete a file accidentally, you have 30 days to discover this or your backup copy will be gone. If you pay for the attached drive option, when that drive is not present or powered down, they treat this the same as a deleted file.

All of the above was correct as of the last time I seriously examined Carbonite's product offering. I don't know if it is all still correct, but I don't care since I moved to Crashplan (which has NONE of those issues).

I currently have about 1.5 TB backed up to Crashplan and locally.

Tom

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 05, 2013 18:02 |  #15
bannedPermanent ban

DanAnCan wrote in post #16179076 (external link)

You can never be 100%

sponsored links

3,747 views & 0 likes for this thread
Backup, backup, BACKUP!!! OMG
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.