Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 23 Jul 2013 (Tuesday) 16:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Client unhappy, not sure how to do better

NeonStar
253 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 04, 2013 19:32 |  #46
bannedPermanent ban

mike_311 wrote in post #16147390 (external link)
I took some headshots for a client, all the shots turned out great except one person in particular, the boss, isnt happy with his headshot. He wants to reshoot, im not sure i can do better, meaning he doesn't like the way he looks and i'm not sure I can make him look better not that he looks bad or anything. He is happy with all the other staff and office shots i provided, he just doesnt like his pic...

here are the images... thoughts? do i just do a reshoot for just him? not sure how to handle this...

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

His mouth is too far up his face.

sponsored links
Sens0r
90 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Aug 05, 2013 10:37 |  #47

NeonStar wrote in post #16181271 (external link)
His mouth is too far up his face.

bw!

My profile on 500px.com (external link) | Follow me on Instagram (external link)
Canon 600D | Canon EF-S 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 IS II | Canon EF 50mm 1.8 | Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 SP Di VC USD XLD | YN-560II

mike_311
THREAD ­ STARTER
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 05, 2013 10:57 |  #48

sydneyshooter wrote in post #16180061 (external link)
Why would you post a question on a forum before you have even spoken to the client?
Without talking to him, how do you know you have to do anything better and it's not that he's just unhappy because he didn't like the colour of his shirt or something else beyond your control?

I never cease to be amazed how people will ask questions on a forum before they have asked any significant questions to the client who are the only ones that can tell them what they want to know anyhow!

Spose it's all a moot point now being that you posted a week ago and haven't come back since.

maybe because i wanted the opinion of others if anything was wrong before i discussed with him what the didn't like so i knew what else i may wish to fix. i already knew from my initial discussion with his assistant that he didn't like his neck, had i made mention of that i may not have gotten the other good advice i did.

it never ceases to amaze me that some folks here are so eager to criticize and not offer advice. at least there are many others who offered willing to help.

i didn't realize the thread came back up after it died off for a few days, but since you seem so concerned about my lack of participation, here is an update. i went back in and reposed him different ways and made sure he was happy with how he looked and what posed he liked best before i left. i was able to mimic the lighting setup (i had nice window light for the others and it was dreary and rainy last week).

Thanks to everyone else for the advice and comments, he actually does look much better in the new ones.

Canon 5d mkii | Canon 17-40/4L | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 05, 2013 11:55 |  #49

mike_311 wrote in post #16182854 (external link)
Thanks to everyone else for the advice and comments, he actually does look much better in the new ones.

Can we see 'em? :)

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

mike_311
THREAD ­ STARTER
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 05, 2013 12:44 |  #50

nathancarter wrote in post #16182994 (external link)
Can we see 'em? :)

here is the one he chose, I'm not big on the way his neck is covered up but this is the one he picked from all the poses we took.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1232.photobuck​et.com …705-Edit__zps5d95c397.jpg (external link)

john.bradburne
63 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Aug 05, 2013 12:50 |  #51

mike_311 wrote in post #16183119 (external link)
here is the one he chose, I'm not big on the way his neck is covered up but this is the one he picked from all the poses we took.

QUOTED IMAGE

I think this one turned out much better.. good work

-John
Digital - 60D | 50 1.8 II | 50 1.4 | 18-200 |75-300 |
Analog - EOS A2e| EOS Rebel G|

mike_311
THREAD ­ STARTER
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 05, 2013 13:08 |  #52

its appears subtle but having him stand up straight makes a huge difference overall.

OhLook
you get what you get
19,355 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Aug 05, 2013 13:47 |  #53

here is the one he chose[/IMG]

That's a great improvement. He looks relaxed and confident this time.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

pcunite
Goldmember
1,478 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Aug 05, 2013 17:07 |  #54

Looks much better. Glad you made him happy.

sydneyshooter
43 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Aug 05, 2013 18:51 |  #55
bannedPermanent ban
SPAM PUT AWAY
This post is marked as spam.
mike_311
THREAD ­ STARTER
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 05, 2013 19:18 |  #56

sydneyshooter wrote in post #16183966 (external link)
Sorry, that's a cop out and if you really believe it, you need to have a rethink on how you go about your work.

cop out?

Was anyone here paying for the guys portraits?
Who cares what a bunch of photographers think? Wouldn't the only opinion that mattered be the one of the person paying the Bill?

why bother getting other suggestions in the process?

You mean a lot of advise from photographers that look at things totally different to a client and the majority of whom pointed out things that were of no concern to the client in the first place?
For all you know he was entirely happy with everything else and changing something according to the advise you got here would have made him unhappy with the results.

If you already knew what he didn't like, then asking the question you did was a waste of peoples time and completely irrelevant.

if it was a waste of their time, they would not have replied. you certainly didn't find it a waste of your time to attempt to lecture me. maybe some passerby picked up a trick or two, god forbid other get advice too.

You got a dozen different bits of advise on what was wrong but still you needed to go back to the client and find out what they thought which is exactly the advise I gave if you were able to comprehend it.
If everyone here said you should have used a blue background, would you have done that whether the client wanted it or not? If you wouldn't, then obviously what the client thinks is more important than what anyone else does.

notice how i didn't use some of the advice? i fixed what i thought was relevant and ignored the rest.

That's pretty funny because you specifically asked for criticism. The thing you are upset about is someone gave you a dose of reality rather than something you wanted to hear which I suspect was platitudes over all.

not one time did i take offense to any criticism except your post belittling me for asking a question and starting a discussion, it is a discussion board, correct?

Which begs the question why you didn't do that in the first place?
Oh, you had to do a rush job right?
No time to do it properly but always time to do it over 'eh?
Well it's clear how that strategy turned out. Perhaps it might be better in future if the same situation arises to make a time to come back to do the job properly rather than to rush it and have the client disappointed and having a less than impressed opinion of your work ( and no doubt telling other people he wasn't happy with his pics.)

The guy appears to be a professional of some sort. I guess you could always ask would you like to reschedule the job for another time so I can do it properly and make sure you are happy with the results or would you prefer I rush it through now and take pot luck on what I can get?
No doubt being a professional he will have his own standard of doing things and can tell you what that preference is. I think I might be able to predict what he would say though.

actually it was a rush job, they planned for EVERYONE to be in the office during lunch, that the time they could do, sorry i put my clients schedule over my own and tried to accommodate it. funny though, i built into my quote time for a reshoot if for some reason i had to go back or if some one couldn't make it.. huh, i guess that worked out for me.

to add he was very happy with all the other images, he just didn't like the way he looked and asked to reshoot if i could, so obliged, i doubt he went yelling to the streets that i was the antichrist. he sure seemed satisfied with the final product and cut the check pretty quick.

I know my replies are not sugar coated, I don't believe in it because I do try to make people think and work things out in their own minds, particularly about obvious answers.
I have found that by being direct people either have the penny drop and go on to improve and keep things in mind or they get butt hurt and indignant and will continue to make the same mistake again.
It' a great indication of a persons real outlook and potential to be great rather than just mediocre in my mind.

One person learns and progresses, the other goes off thinking I'm a bastard and they are right and don't learn a thing.
Completely up to you to decide which way you want to go but I'll guarantee you will think of this thread next time the problem comes up and will ask the client what they didn't like before and if you ask anyone else! :lol:

way to act like a father figure here at the end.

what you consider "not sugar coating" is actually a thinly veiled attack on who you appear to be novices. its off putting. i will think of this thread, there is lots of good advice, too bad none of it is from you .

OhLook
you get what you get
19,355 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Aug 05, 2013 19:49 |  #57

I know my replies are not sugar coated

If you consult a chemistry book, you'll find that many chemicals exist in the range between sugar and quinine.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

john.bradburne
63 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Aug 05, 2013 19:57 |  #58

Sorry, that's a cop out and if you really believe it, you need to have a rethink on how you go about your work.

Was anyone here paying for the guys portraits?
Who cares what a bunch of photographers think? Wouldn't the only opinion that mattered be the one of the person paying the Bill?

You mean a lot of advise from photographers that look at things totally different to a client and the majority of whom pointed out things that were of no concern to the client in the first place?
For all you know he was entirely happy with everything else and changing something according to the advise you got here would have made him unhappy with the results.

If you already knew what he didn't like, then asking the question you did was a waste of peoples time and completely irrelevant.

That's pretty funny because you specifically asked for criticism. The thing you are upset about is someone gave you a dose of reality rather than something you wanted to hear which I suspect was platitudes over all.

You got a dozen different bits of advise on what was wrong but still you needed to go back to the client and find out what they thought which is exactly the advise I gave if you were able to comprehend it.
If everyone here said you should have used a blue background, would you have done that whether the client wanted it or not? If you wouldn't, then obviously what the client thinks is more important than what anyone else does.

The advise I gave may not have been sugar coated or direct but had you taken any heed and not got upset because it wasn't what you wanted to hear, you would have seen the that advise was both obvious and completely correct.

Which begs the question why you didn't do that in the first place?
Oh, you had to do a rush job right?
No time to do it properly but always time to do it over 'eh?
Well it's clear how that strategy turned out. Perhaps it might be better in future if the same situation arises to make a time to come back to do the job properly rather than to rush it and have the client disappointed and having a less than impressed opinion of your work ( and no doubt telling other people he wasn't happy with his pics.)

The guy appears to be a professional of some sort. I guess you could always ask would you like to reschedule the job for another time so I can do it properly and make sure you are happy with the results or would you prefer I rush it through now and take pot luck on what I can get?
No doubt being a professional he will have his own standard of doing things and can tell you what that preference is. I think I might be able to predict what he would say though.

I know my replies are not sugar coated, I don't believe in it because I do try to make people think and work things out in their own minds, particularly about obvious answers.
I have found that by being direct people either have the penny drop and go on to improve and keep things in mind or they get butt hurt and indignant and will continue to make the same mistake again.
It' a great indication of a persons real outlook and potential to be great rather than just mediocre in my mind.

One person learns and progresses, the other goes off thinking I'm a bastard and they are right and don't learn a thing.
Completely up to you to decide which way you want to go but I'll guarantee you will think of this thread next time the problem comes up and will ask the client what they didn't like before and if you ask anyone else! :lol:

If I had only been a member here for a month I would be minding my Ps and Qs

-John
Digital - 60D | 50 1.8 II | 50 1.4 | 18-200 |75-300 |
Analog - EOS A2e| EOS Rebel G|

sydneyshooter
43 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Aug 05, 2013 20:24 |  #59
bannedPermanent ban
SPAM PUT AWAY
This post is marked as spam.
rpadula
278 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 06, 2013 07:34 |  #60

Since you mentioned his neck being covered up, my eye went there first. Compared to the previous shots, the blue shirt is much better. For one reason, it's ironed! (Looks like the professional he is). And it doesn't blend into the beige wall background the way the yellow shirt did.

Good job.

-Rich
Canon 60D + EF 50mm f/1.8 II + EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 + EF 70-200 f/4

sponsored links

8,837 views & 0 likes for this thread
Client unhappy, not sure how to do better
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.