Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 05 Aug 2013 (Monday) 01:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Bride with unrealistic expectations

Phil ­ V
Goldmember
1,977 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Aug 05, 2013 12:26 |  #16

There's a point that people are missing here; if you just agree to do it, then she complains that you didn't produce exactly what she was expecting.

Then you have a bride who has a genuine grievance with the work you've produced. You haven't got a leg to stand on because you've promised to do what she wants.

We've been here before but promising anything is a road to hell. And that's vastly different from a licence to fail to deliver. It just means that if they decide they no longer want to play before you've fulfilled her shot list, she can't sue. What happens if she wants to carry on shooting but the groom wants to go to the bar? You could have signed to accept responsibility for the situation.

It's not a high and might art vs customer service issue at all, it's a sign here to promise delivery of something you have no real control over. And that'd be a stupid thing to do.

Gear List
website: South Yorkshire Wedding photographer in Doncaster (external link)
Twitter (external link)Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
Nathan
So boring
7,733 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 05, 2013 13:12 |  #17

I don't think we really disagree fundamentally. Just make sure there is a contract provision that protects you in case the bride/groom misunderstands what you will deliver. That said, make no misrepresentation about the service you will provide. Put that 150 shots aside and talk to the bride/groom. If after the conversation you feel that you cannot perform to their wishes and desires, then don't take the job. However, if you can explain to them what they can realistically expect and you feel that you can still give them a product they are happy with AND they accept your terms, then proceed.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

bespoke
710 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 05, 2013 13:32 |  #18

I hate Pinterest. Brides expect the Jose Villa California sunset wedding on a cliff look when they're actually getting married in a hockey arena in November

Toronto Fashion Photographer (external link)
5D3 & 5D2s | 24 TS-E II, 24-70 II, 85L II, 100L, 70-200L II, 35 & 85 Zeiss ZE, Samyang 14, Sigma 50
Hasselblads + Leaf Aptus MFDB, Fuji X100, Epson 3880/9890

golfecho
(I will regret that)
1,873 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 05, 2013 13:33 |  #19

FlyTvr wrote in post #16181989 (external link)
Has anyone ever come across a bride with unrealistic expectations?

Isn't this redundant?

Facebook (external link) or Website (external link)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,875 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Aug 05, 2013 13:50 |  #20

golfecho wrote in post #16183237 (external link)
Isn't this redundant?

Yes, but let's get back to discussing photography.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 05, 2013 18:02 |  #21

Nathan wrote in post #16182839 (external link)
I agree with you. It sounded like you were talking more upon principle than upon logistics. The comment about selective coloring tainted your response in my mind - just do what the client wants. I wouldn't walk away from a job or make my client unhappy because it's "not my style".

Oh with selective colouring it is a matter of principle. I won't do that :) I know that turning down work doesn't sit well with some but I have found it means I get the clients who are best suited to what I do and how I work. In turn those clients easily generate the most word of mouth. Which in turn saves me money through advertising less.

The whole point to my ad is it helps set expectations before someone contacts me. Getting a shot list that says "Bride with Dad, Bride with Mum" etc is one thing. But getting a shot list detailing poses and processing based on a Pinterest board is another. The latter I'd refuse every time. I care about my sanity more than the money.

As Phil has pointed out and I eluded to earlier there is huge risk unless every aspect is covered in the contract. Personally I can't see one good reason to put myself under so much pressure at a wedding before I have even taken the first shot.

It is hard enough sometimes explaining to a bride that I can't necessarily recreate my own work (ring reflections) being a perfect example. When I consider that the prospect of 150 shots other photographers have taken... well that is absurd.

Lots of photographers talk about "show what you sell" when it comes to albums. A similar principle applies with the clients/enquiries you get. You get who you are effectively advertising too. Advertise carte blanche that you will do anything and everything and those are the clients you'll get. Advertise with discounts and specials and that is what clients will expect.

Peter

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 05, 2013 18:03 |  #22

bespoke wrote in post #16183235 (external link)
I hate Pinterest. Brides expect the Jose Villa California sunset wedding on a cliff look when they're actually getting married in a hockey arena in November

Photoshop is your friend :lol:

Peter

Nathan
So boring
7,733 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 05, 2013 19:50 |  #23

I just think there's a fair bit of speculation going on here. We don't really know what's in the bride's mind. For all we know, she's been innocently collecting images she likes over the past year and some people here are just chastising her for being over prepared. Once the OP talks with her and sees how adamant (or not) she is about getting exact poses or reenactments of what she's found, then he can decide how best to proceed.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

sspellman
Goldmember
1,731 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 05, 2013 20:10 |  #24

Whenever a client makes a substantial change to the requirements, deliverables, or schedule of a shoot-then you need to consult with them and adjust your price. When you match the new requirements to the new price, the customer will actually start to prioritize.

I personally love samples from clients because it is the clearest tool to communicate. However, if the samples deviate substantially from your style, then you need to raise the challenge with your client.

ScottSpellmanMedia.com [photography]

1000WordsPhotography
513 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 05, 2013 20:23 |  #25

sydneyshooter wrote in post #16183057 (external link)
People who think the customer is always right and do everything they want without question haven't been in business long or won't be.

There is a big difference between customer service and letting customers run your business and tell you what to do.... especially when it's impossible to start with.
Yeah sure, tell them you can do all the pics on their list... then just wait till they come back and you haven't got them.... Then the fun and litigation will really start.

If anyone thinks that sucking up to these clients and not taking control and setting them straight or just watching them walk out the door was the right thing to do, your opinion is likely to be changed..... for good.

The minute you let them be in control, you have opened a can of worms that will bite you in the arse and take out a chunk making the whole thing something you wish you had never heard of.
Ask me and anyone else who's been down that road how we know.

Memories is spot on as far as I'm concerned. Often confronting people ( in the nicest possible manner) and standing your ground is a fantastic way to win their respect and get the job. The clients will then listen to you and you will run the show. I make it a point to disagree with edding clients on something. It shows I'm not desperate for the work, know what I'm doing and have faith in my work and leaves no doubt to whom is in charge of the deal.
If they want a pussy yes man, well clearly plenty of them around.

You can be a door mat and let them walk all over you which many WILL do as soon as they see they can and get away with it or you can be a real professional and tell them what you know isn't going to work, offer a solution to get them pics they will love and still fit in with the realities of the day. Doing that you demonstrate there is a lot more to the game than pushing a button and nodding your head to every stupid idea and request the potential clients have and you will earn their respect and eliminate a lot of problems in the process.

Lots of shooters will want to argue and dispute that.
At least till they work out much to their dismay that it is true and they wish they had kept control of their business and clients that is.

There is a midpoint, the customer can be right and you can control your business. These are not mutually exclusive things.

Being inflexible and unbending is not the recipe for a successful service based business unless you already have a staunch following.

Twitter: @1kWordsPhotog
Instagram: @1000WordsPhotographer
Facebook: Here (external link)
Portfolio: Here (external link)

1000WordsPhotography
513 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 05, 2013 20:27 |  #26

sspellman wrote in post #16184132 (external link)
Whenever a client makes a substantial change to the requirements, deliverables, or schedule of a shoot-then you need to consult with them and adjust your price. When you match the new requirements to the new price, the customer will actually start to prioritize.

I personally love samples from clients because it is the clearest tool to communicate. However, if the samples deviate substantially from your style, then you need to raise the challenge with your client.

Spoken like a PM!

If you present the client with a cost for what they want you often find they will make up their own minds about what is really important and modify either their wish list or their budget.

Twitter: @1kWordsPhotog
Instagram: @1000WordsPhotographer
Facebook: Here (external link)
Portfolio: Here (external link)

kryptic4l
53 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 05, 2013 21:25 |  #27

I'm gonna just speak from the other side of the fence, I don't think most of general public knows much about photographers, and what is realistic to expect from them aside from what they have seen from there friends or social media.

Weddings as far I have seen have always produced unrealistic expectatiations on everything from the cake to the food to the decor. I believe it is the professionals responsibility to educate the client on what is reasonable expectations.

As far as my wedding was concerned I was handed a list of shots we might like and we checked off the most important ones. And I think we had a second list of shots we would like, but Were not guaranteed. And our best and most favourite shots were of candid unplanned moments because they show our true personality, not because they look like like so and so's pictures.

I have one shot from my wedding which is a palm tree making a heart, a year later my buddy got married and has the same shot, I'm sure millions of others are the same, it just feels so generic and boring now.

mkville
Goldmember
1,082 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 06, 2013 07:17 |  #28

bespoke wrote in post #16183235 (external link)

hahaha, awesome spoken like a true Canadian :)

Mark
flickr (external link)
500px (external link)

Derf
604 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 06, 2013 08:14 as a reply to  @ mkville's post |  #29

Request from bride = RUN AWAY

Canon 7D / Canon 40D / Opteka 6.5mm / Sigma 18-35 1.8 / Canon 50mm 1.4 / Canon 50mm 1.8 / Tamron 28-75 2.8 / Tamron 70-300VC
WWW.LongIslandWallpape​rs.com (external link)

bespoke
710 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 06, 2013 16:52 |  #30

mkville wrote in post #16185174 (external link)
hahaha, awesome spoken like a true Canadian :)

I was going to say the curling club but I thought my fellow Americans might not understand :D

Ps. We actually have weddings in the local curling club and hockey arena but I've never shot them thankfully. I live in a small town outside of Toronto

Toronto Fashion Photographer (external link)
5D3 & 5D2s | 24 TS-E II, 24-70 II, 85L II, 100L, 70-200L II, 35 & 85 Zeiss ZE, Samyang 14, Sigma 50
Hasselblads + Leaf Aptus MFDB, Fuji X100, Epson 3880/9890

sponsored links

5,049 views & 0 likes for this thread
Bride with unrealistic expectations
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.