Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 05 Aug 2013 (Monday) 19:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sigma's OS Macros: Worth the price hike?

jt354
401 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 05, 2013 19:54 |  #1

I've been looking at purchasing a dedicated macro lens for my 60D and noticed that most of Sigma's options now include optical stabilizers and HSM focus, at a significant price increase over the old models. Are these features useful enough to warrant buying the new lens or should I go used? I used to have a Sigma 70mm macro and was a bit annoyed at the autofocus speed for portraiture (used manual for macro work), as well as the extending lens barrel. Anyone used the new lenses?

Zenfolio (external link)
flickr (external link)
Gear: Canon 60D / Canon G12 / Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 / Canon 35mm f/2 IS / Canon 85mm f/1.8 / Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 / Speedlite 430 EXII / Slik 700DX legs / Cullmann MB6 head

sponsored links
gremlin75
Goldmember
2,725 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 06, 2013 00:11 |  #2

I've never used sigma's 70mm macro but their non-OS 150mm Macro was a great lens. From just looking at test charts it seems the old non-OS version is actually a little sharper then the OS version.

AF on any macro lens is going to be pretty slow. Accuracy is more important then speed then your DOF is so narrow.

Have you considered the canon ef-s 60mm Macro? Its an amazing lens. The AF is a little faster then the sigma 150 macro I used and it has interna focus (so no extending barrel). It's a fairly inexpensive lens but probably the sharpest ef-s lens canon makes. Or theres the canon 100mm Macro. both are amazing lenses and theres only about $100 difference in them on the used market.

titi_67207
496 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 06, 2013 03:58 |  #3

I had the 70mm macro too and yes, the AF was annoying, loud (but accurate) for portrait work.
Now I have the 150mm HSM (non OS, old model), and the focus is reasonably fast. So myabe you can find a HSM non-OS lens.

Titi

Canon 5D MkII + Sony A7 + 24x36 & 6x6 B&W film cameras .
CV 15 4.5 III | TS-E 24L II | FE 28 2 | (50+85) 1.4 | 135 2 | 70-200 4.0L | a collection of old Zuikos + FD + Adaptall + AI-s + M42

jt354
THREAD ­ STARTER
401 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 06, 2013 09:14 |  #4

I am looking at the Canon 60mm as well, it seems like it'd be a good choice for wedding portraiture and detail "macros." Probably a bit too short for bugs though.

Zenfolio (external link)
flickr (external link)
Gear: Canon 60D / Canon G12 / Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 / Canon 35mm f/2 IS / Canon 85mm f/1.8 / Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 / Speedlite 430 EXII / Slik 700DX legs / Cullmann MB6 head

ElectronGuru
427 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 06, 2013 11:58 |  #5

At 96mm effective, the 60 EFS is 4mm shy of identical to the 100 on FF - it's basically the 100 in miniature. Everyone with a crop body should try this lens at least once.

Working distance at 1:1 is about an inch from the front of the hood. I was never a big big guy, but if they sting, you want the 180 anyway.

"Light is the paint, lenses are brush, sensors are the canvas"
6D | 100L Macro | 50L | 24L TSE
Builder of custom flashlights, OVEREADY.com (external link)

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 06, 2013 12:10 |  #6

the 60mm is an excellent lens, though I'm going to sell mine, since I went FF and got the new 100mm to fit both cameras. I had the older 100mm on loan for a while too, all work very well. If you think you'll stick to crop sensor, the 60 is a great lens and it's a lot smaller and lighter than the 100. If I had not gone full frame I would never think about replacing it.

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,431 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Aug 06, 2013 22:29 |  #7

I have owned just about every macro lens available. Sigma 150 is indeed better than the Canon 100. Sigma 150 OS better yet and better than the Canon 100 IS. Now I have the new and better Sigma 180 OS. 4 stops of IS at any distance. Wow.

GEAR LIST

sponsored links

1,100 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sigma's OS Macros: Worth the price hike?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.