Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 05 Aug 2013 (Monday) 21:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

T3i and Novatron Strobes

saffikeagan
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 05, 2013 21:24 |  #1

Hi,

I have a new T3i that I'm trying to use with two Novatron strobes. I am using a pc converter in my hot shoe to wire the strobes to my camera. The strobes work, the pc cord is fine, the hot shoe works, I've tried two different pc converters, and yet the strobes won't fire when I take a photo. I've tried it on Manual, Auto, Program, all with the live vid disabled. Under flash options, I've tried both with the camera's flash enabled and disabled. There's gotta be a setting or something that I've not got right. HELP! I'm totally frustrated.

sponsored links
pyrojim
Goldmember
1,882 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 05, 2013 22:47 |  #2

saffikeagan wrote in post #16184293 (external link)
Hi,

I have a new T3i that I'm trying to use with two Novatron strobes. I am using a pc converter in my hot shoe to wire the strobes to my camera. The strobes work, the pc cord is fine, the hot shoe works, I've tried two different pc converters, and yet the strobes won't fire when I take a photo. I've tried it on Manual, Auto, Program, all with the live vid disabled. Under flash options, I've tried both with the camera's flash enabled and disabled. There's gotta be a setting or something that I've not got right. HELP! I'm totally frustrated.

I suspect it could be a polarity thing. What kind of plug sticks into the novatrons? is it a 1/4 or 1/8 inch plug or a house hold two prong type plug?

if its the two prong plug, try putting it in the other way.

If you can throw up a quick snap of the setup it may help in diagnosis. Also, if you are close to a photo store(a legit brick and mortar) one of the old timers may be of great value.

PhaseOne H25
Camera agnostic

saffikeagan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 05, 2013 22:51 |  #3

I don't know...I'm taking over for the previous photographer and her camera, so I'm learning. I've contacted local brick and mortars. They are stumped too. I might have to take the whole set up in and have them play. I will look at the connection on the strobe.

The ­ Loft ­ Studios
Goldmember
1,069 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 05, 2013 22:54 as a reply to  @ pyrojim's post |  #4

Yep, it's the polarity.... simply reverse the H-Prong Plug in the other direction or reverse the plug on your Hot Shoe.....

MARK

saffikeagan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 05, 2013 23:03 |  #5

I tried reversing the plug in my shoe. Didn't do anything.

FlashZebra
This space available
4,427 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Aug 05, 2013 23:33 |  #6

This is NOT a polarity issue. The Canon camera does not care what the polarity of the Voltage from the pack is, the Canon camera will fire it either way (in this limited case of one flash unit connected with a sync cord).

Please post an image or a link to the hotshoe adapter(s) you are using. Are you sure it is a hothsoe adapter designed for a CAMERA, and not a hotshoe adapter designed for a FLASH? Of special interest is the bottom of the hotshoe adapter (part that slides into the camera's hotshoe). Does it have electrical contacts or a threaded 1/4" hole but no contacts?

You are calling this a "PC adapter", I am calling it a hotshoe adapter.

You can also try connecting the cord to the flash pack, but not the camera. On the free end of the cord, short the inner pin on the PC connector to the outer ring on the PC connecter using a small screwdriver with a plastic handle (hold on to only the handle). This should fire the flash.

Enjoy! Lon

http://flashzebra.com/ (external link)

saffikeagan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 05, 2013 23:40 |  #7

I got the first hotshoe adapter from a shop recommended to me by someone who used to be a professional photographer. I got the second from a store close by. Neither worked. The first had a Nikkon pin config that the shop swears works with the cannons too. The second was a single pin. It also didn't work.

FlashZebra
This space available
4,427 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Aug 05, 2013 23:44 |  #8

saffikeagan wrote in post #16184641 (external link)
I got the first hotshoe adapter from a shop recommended to me by someone who used to be a professional photographer. I got the second from a store close by. Neither worked. The first had a Nikkon pin config that the shop swears works with the cannons too. The second was a single pin. It also didn't work.

Let's go on what we can see, not pre use testimonials from third parties regarding a setup that is not working.

We can get this square but we have to build on some sort of foundation we are sure of.

Enjoy! Lon

http://flashzebra.com/ (external link)

saffikeagan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 06, 2013 00:00 |  #9

I'll go to the studio and post pics tomorrow.

Sens0r
90 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Aug 06, 2013 12:17 as a reply to  @ saffikeagan's post |  #10

Are you using live view or the viewfinder?

My profile on 500px.com (external link) | Follow me on Instagram (external link)
Canon 600D | Canon EF-S 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 IS II | Canon EF 50mm 1.8 | Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 SP Di VC USD XLD | YN-560II

saffikeagan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 06, 2013 12:21 as a reply to  @ Sens0r's post |  #11

The viewfinder. I have the live view disabled.

DavidR
Goldmember
1,543 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 08, 2013 06:29 |  #12

FlashZebra wrote in post #16184626 (external link)
You can also try connecting the cord to the flash pack, but not the camera. On the free end of the cord, short the inner pin on the PC connector to the outer ring on the PC connecter using a small screwdriver with a plastic handle (hold on to only the handle). This should fire the flash.

Enjoy! Lon

OP, have you tried the above test? It should be the first step in diagnosing your problem.

What model are the Novatron strobes? Do they fire every time the test button is pushed?

M10 - ZM 21mm - Elmarit 28mm-CV - Nokton 50mm f/1.2 - Elmarit 90mm

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,898 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Aug 08, 2013 07:20 |  #13

saffikeagan wrote in post #16184641 (external link)

Make sure they're not mounted on the camera hotshoe backwards!

...Leo

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
42,319 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 08, 2013 12:02 |  #14

FlashZebra wrote in post #16184626 (external link)
This is NOT a polarity issue. The Canon camera does not care what the polarity of the Voltage from the pack is, the Canon camera will fire it either way (in this limited case of one flash unit connected with a sync cord).

I have direct experience with the 'polarity' issue on Speedotron pack with a Nikon camera connected via PC cord. So the issue does in fact exist.
Here is another post from someone who fixed his problem by changing the cord wiring!...

https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=14947102&po​stcount=24

Whether or not the Canon T3i is prone or immune to this issue is probably somewhat up for debate, but over the years on POTN we have suggested rotating H-plugs (like household AC plugs) a number of times, for addressing Speedotron, Norman and Novatron. We have seen cases in which reversing plug polarity fixed the problem and others that had no effect, so the polarity issue is not always be what is lurking behind the problem.

It could be a fundamental compatability issue between the trigger and the flash unit, as is evidenced in this thread OP
https://photography-on-the.net …hp?p=14381161&p​ostcount=1

in which:

• Flash A with Trigger B does work
  • Flash B with Trigger A does work
  • but...Flash A with Trigger A does not work

The the OP later posted "Just as an update I got a Wein low voltage adapter, plugged everything in, and the fresnel fires with the Profoto Air. Everything is working great "
So the apparent fix was

Flash A on Trigger A radio receiver getting signal from Trigger A transmitter sitting on Wein Safesych sitting on Camera hotshoe

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

saffikeagan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 10, 2013 13:40 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #15

WOOT! They work! It was a polarity issue I guess. I flipped the plug, and they started firing perfectly. Thanks for all the suggestions.

sponsored links

4,526 views & 0 likes for this thread
T3i and Novatron Strobes
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.