Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 06 Aug 2013 (Tuesday) 08:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I'm getting screwed (Wedding/Payment)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,847 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Aug 06, 2013 11:54 |  #16

Old Coot wrote in post #16185246 (external link)
Call the couple and talk to them. You have the photographer's side of the story, now get theirs to see what they have to say.

Yes. All the complaints that the photographer has told you about, real or made up, are about your behavior during the wedding. The couple didn't complain about your images. How could they? They haven't seen your images! But you weren't hired as an entertainer, you were hired to produce images. Seems like the photographer could have dealt with their complaints by telling them so and asking them to hold off on making a decision until they see the product. There should also be something in his contract with them that prevents situations like the one he now tells you exists.

One possibility is the Uncle Bob story: the couple have photos, and they don't want to pay. Another is that the photographer wants to use your photos without paying.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

sponsored links
sydneyshooter
43 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Aug 06, 2013 11:58 |  #17
bannedPermanent ban
SPAM PUT AWAY
This post is marked as spam.
PretendFriend
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 06, 2013 12:33 as a reply to  @ sydneyshooter's post |  #18

Cheers Sydney.
I'll get that money.

And yes, I still have every image and didn't hand anything over to him. I don't think the guy is stupid enough to try and steal them from me and sell them, because I'd definitely find out and be able to ruin his whole reputation.

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Aug 06, 2013 13:30 |  #19

HiepBuiPhotography wrote in post #16185254 (external link)
I would keep all the RAW files and use it for your portfolio. No payment = no photos. Period.

This.

You've done the job, you're supposed to get paid. He said the pictures are fine. He still needs to pay you.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

Fernando
Goldmember
1,628 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 06, 2013 16:15 |  #20

Sounds to me like the price just doubled...

Fuji convert - Ping me if you have any Fuji gear or legacy glass you're moving.

flashpoint99
411 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Aug 06, 2013 16:36 |  #21

Fernando wrote in post #16186416 (external link)

bw!

sydneyshooter
43 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Aug 06, 2013 21:20 |  #22
bannedPermanent ban
SPAM PUT AWAY
This post is marked as spam.
benji25
Goldmember
1,034 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 06, 2013 21:58 |  #23

If you can't get the photog to pay you for your time, sell directly to the couple. Since they bad mouthed you double the price. Worst case scenario you have some pics for your portfolio.

Website (external link)
flickr (external link)

jcpoulin
Goldmember
2,447 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Aug 06, 2013 22:30 |  #24

Give it up to a learning experience. Let the original photog return the money.....you are out nothing! Keep all images, release NOTHING! Don't let anyone see these until a written statement is signed regarding payment. The lack of a contract hurts you.....but also gives up the photog's and brides protection as well. They have no recourse against you as you were present and performed a service...which at this point is voluntary! Do not post any images on your site until this gets resolved. This event did not happen until you sort though this.

1DX , 7D,16-35, 24-70 2.8II, 2.8L II, , 70-200 f2.8LII IS, 300 f2.8L IS, 500 f4 IS, 100-400L, Canon 100 2.8 macro, Canon 1.4X, 580ex, AB800X4
Canon CPS Member, PPA
www.capturingtimephoto​graphy.net (external link)

1000WordsPhotography
513 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 07, 2013 00:04 |  #25

jcpoulin wrote in post #16187262 (external link)
Give it up to a learning experience. Let the original photog return the money.....you are out nothing! Keep all images, release NOTHING! Don't let anyone see these until a written statement is signed regarding payment. The lack of a contract hurts you.....but also gives up the photog's and brides protection as well. They have no recourse against you as you were present and performed a service...which at this point is voluntary! Do not post any images on your site until this gets resolved. This event did not happen until you sort though this.

Quoted for truth.

Twitter: @1kWordsPhotog
Instagram: @1000WordsPhotographer
Facebook: Here (external link)
Portfolio: Here (external link)

john.bradburne
63 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Aug 07, 2013 00:06 |  #26

bw!

sydneyshooter wrote in post #16187079 (external link)
Well done.

I have read so many times where people hand the pics over without getting their money because they felt pressured by which ever con man was standing over them at the time.
I admire you for standing your ground and being smart.

This is an unfortunate start for you but nothing like a baptism of fire to speed the learning curve and prepare you for all ahead. I'm sure you will do well and as poor is this experience is, you will learn and benefit from it in the future and it will stop problems down the track.

Good luck with it and keep us posted how it goes.

-John
Digital - 60D | 50 1.8 II | 50 1.4 | 18-200 |75-300 |
Analog - EOS A2e| EOS Rebel G|

Tomi ­ Hawk
Goldmember
1,685 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 07, 2013 00:53 |  #27

M_Six wrote in post #16185350 (external link)
Was "Uncle Bob" with his DSLR there? I wonder if the bride and groom think they have enough decent free pics and decided to weasel out of the paid ones.

Ding Ding Ding ... winner!

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif'

Fernando wrote in post #16186416 (external link)

yup! ;)

Heath
Goldmember
2,332 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 07, 2013 06:10 |  #28

PretendFriend wrote in post #16185232 (external link)
He did look at the pictures today though (I watched him flick through them)

How did you show him the images? On his computer or on yours?

Are you sure he wasn't downloading them when he was reviewing them?

Heath
"Some photographers push the envelope. Some sit behind a keyboard and criticize their accomplishments." (seen in the comments of a photo article)
Blog (external link)-Twitter (external link)-Zenfolio (external link)-500px (external link)-Pinterest (external link)-Gear List

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 07, 2013 08:18 |  #29
bannedPermanent ban

Tomi Hawk wrote in post #16187491 (external link)
Ding Ding Ding ... winner!

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif'

yup! ;)

Lets not forget it is the photographer that is screwing the OP here. The contract was with the photographer, not the bride.

casp3r
Goldmember
1,489 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2006

Aug 07, 2013 08:33 |  #30

I'd just be afraid that the photographer is trying to pull a fast one and has told the OP of the 'complaints' from the couple. If these aren't true what has he told the couple about the OP and why they haven't/won't receive any images from the day. If anything false has been said this could tarnish the OP's reputation. I'd get in touch with the B&G just to get their side of the story - not sure how I'd go about it though :(

http://www.mcarberypho​to.co.uk (external link)
http://www.niaviation.​co.uk (external link)
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

24,423 views & 0 likes for this thread
I'm getting screwed (Wedding/Payment)
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.