Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Urban Life & Travel 
Thread started 14 Jun 2006 (Wednesday) 09:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Park Bench. I need a rest. Version 2

BillsBayou
In trouble with my wife
5,024 posts
Joined Mar 2006
Location: New Orleans, La. USA! Favorite Cheese: Caciocavallo Invention: Incendiary Spit-Bomb Wait. What?

Jun 14, 2006 09:33 |  #1

Ok, Shooting Info on the original park bench: 1/3200 sec, f/1.4, ISO 100, Exposure compensation 0, shot Raw, tweaked a bit in DPP and Photoshop.

I went back to this bench this morning. I must have been 10-12 feet away from the bench when I shot the original photo. I'll leave it to someone else to explain the size of the bokeh in both photos.

I shot this one with only a little more knowledge than I had before. Shooting info almost the same but with an Exposure Compensation of -2/3. Yeah, it's a bit soft. :confused: I was working harder on the composition than focus, I guess.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Take only pictures, leave only footprints...
"Cameras don't shoot people. Photographers shoot people." - Me
I must not break rule GN.4, Please help me un-see that photo, I must not break rule GN.4...
Gear List

jwbker
130 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 14, 2006 18:52 |  #2

Bill, I think the difference in bokeh can be explained by the change in the depth of field as a result of the distance to the subject. If your first picture was taken at a distance of 12 feet, then the depth of field at 50mm would be about 1.5 feet. You didn't give a distance for the 2nd one but I figure it was about 20 ft, which would make DoF almost three times greater. Since the distance from the bench to the trees is the same, the bokeh is going to appear more blurred in the first photograph because of the greater proportional distance from camera to subject and forest.

That's not too rigorous mathematically, but it's how I try to visualize what the bokeh is going to be when I compose a shot. The resident gurus here may have a better explanation.

One cool article about bokeh is on www.luminous-landscape.com (external link). Here's a link (external link) to that. Reichmann demonstrates the relationship between the image size of the subject vs. the bokeh.

The other cool site to check out which has been mentioned on this site many times is the Online Depth of Field Calculator (external link). (You didn't think I did all that in my head did you?)

Hope that helps!

James

BillsBayou
THREAD ­ STARTER
In trouble with my wife
5,024 posts
Joined Mar 2006
Location: New Orleans, La. USA! Favorite Cheese: Caciocavallo Invention: Incendiary Spit-Bomb Wait. What?

Jun 16, 2006 09:13 |  #3

Thanks for the info and links.

Take only pictures, leave only footprints...
"Cameras don't shoot people. Photographers shoot people." - Me
I must not break rule GN.4, Please help me un-see that photo, I must not break rule GN.4...
Gear List

stupot
Goldmember
2,227 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jun 16, 2006 18:44 |  #4

i prefer this one:) good job.

Canon EOS 350D, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, 24-105 f4L IS, 70-200 f4L, 300 f4L IS, Kenko 1.4x pro300, 430EX, Apple Powerbook G4
Free filters for your flashgun!

NBEast
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 16, 2006 19:01 as a reply to  @ stupot's post |  #5

Thanks for the links jwbker. I'm almost thinking a carry around table would be nice. Odd some camera displays don't show DOF calculations ...

To the OP - nice composition!

Gear List / Photos (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,118 views & 0 likes for this thread
Park Bench. I need a rest. Version 2
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Urban Life & Travel 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.