Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 26 Jan 2013 (Saturday) 10:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A New Bare Bulb Flash Arrives

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 05, 2013 22:10 |  #2191

Nikkor316 wrote in post #16184415 (external link)
David, I have the PCB folding octa softboxes for which I also use the Bowens adapter/speedring when attaching the CL360. How do the Fotodiox EX-Pros compare to the PCB ones (material, light quality, operation, durability, etc.)? Thanks.

The Buff foldables are the standard. Fotodiox are lighter weight material, less robust frame but still very useful. LIght quality is subjective but I like the way they all modify the light. I'd say the Fotodiox EZ-Boxes are durable. If I hadn't gotten the Buff boxes first, I may just have purchased the Fotodiox EZ-boxes. The one thing that is much better with the Buff boxes is the grids. The Fotodiox grids are really crap. They provide minimum benefit and are very flimsy.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

sponsored links
jcolman
Goldmember
2,643 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 05, 2013 22:15 |  #2192

ZoranC wrote in post #16184334 (external link)
While it is too early to speak about long term reliability I find it very encouraging that we haven't heard a single report of reliability issues so far.

I've been using my three CL-180's ever since March and my CL-360 for about two months now. I've shot 11 weddings , 100 + portraits, and 17 other gigs like e-sessions or corporate events. That is literally 1000's of pops....probably close to 20,000 or more. I've yet to have a problem with the lights.

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.com (external link)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 05, 2013 22:55 as a reply to  @ jcolman's post |  #2193

^^^ I haven't used my as much as Jim. But I have had a 360 go over on a light stand in the wind. No problems. It, along with the other 360 and the 180s are chugging along without a problem.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

elv
Goldmember
1,488 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Aug 06, 2013 00:58 as a reply to  @ dmward's post |  #2194

Does anyone here with a Cheetah Light (or Godox) happen to have Nikon gear, and would like to test / review the new Pixel King Pro for Nikon?

I realise this is a Canon forum but just thought I'd ask here first as you may be interested for the HSS function with the CL as well. Thanks.

FLASHHAVOC.COM (external link)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 06, 2013 01:02 |  #2195

Elv,
Dave (tetrode) has Nikon gear. He is probably the best resource if he's willing to invest the time.

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 06, 2013 01:04 |  #2196

Elv,
Another option, I have an associate that shoots Nikon. With my lights, we could do a comparison of the Canon and Nikon versions. Let me know via email.

Gareth ­ O'Neill
42 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Aug 06, 2013 14:03 |  #2197

I shoot Nikon and might buy both the Godox lights and the King Pro Triggers for a shoot I have coming up. But the shoot is not until February. So you might have to wait a while.

kidsphotos.co.nz (external link)

jay_jay_n
165 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 06, 2013 15:38 |  #2198

dmward wrote in post #16184381 (external link)
Not sure what you want to know.
I have several of the Fotodiox octas, ranging from about 36" up to the big one.
All are EZ-Pros. They fit onto the Pro Bracket with an Bowens adapter. The 360/180 head goes past the vertical bracket opening with a bit of giggling to get the tightening knob past. Once that's accomplished its possible to get the flash tube into optimum position.

I think the images showing how to position the tube are back about 1830 in this thread.

With the tube in proper position the modifier works great with the expected light output fall off.

I was wondering if the power of a single 360 was sufficient enough to fill a larger light box and be effective?

7D Gripped with RRS BGE7-L Plate and WFT-E5A Linked to my iPad, 40D with RRS B40DL Plate, Canon BG-E7 Battery Grip, RRS B87-QR Portrait Perfect Packge Bracket, RRS 60mm B2 LR II, 60mm Canon Macro, 30mm 1.4 Sigma, 17-55mm Canon EF-S IS f2.8, Photoflex 650, Innovatronix 1200WS, Spider Holster w/ RRS B2 LR II, 580exII, Modified 550ex, Benro Travel Angel C-2691M8 Carbon Fiber tripod, Manfrotto 685B Neotec Monopod, Think Tank Retrospective 20

jcolman
Goldmember
2,643 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 06, 2013 17:07 |  #2199

jay_jay_n wrote in post #16186342 (external link)
I was wondering if the power of a single 360 was sufficient enough to fill a larger light box and be effective?

a single 180 is powerful enough to fill a 50" x 50" soft box, assuming that we're talking about using it indoors and not trying to over power the sun. I've been using mine for months with great results. A 360 is more than enough.

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.com (external link)

Nikkor316
38 posts
Joined May 2013

Aug 06, 2013 19:48 |  #2200

elv wrote in post #16184764 (external link)
Does anyone here with a Cheetah Light (or Godox) happen to have Nikon gear, and would like to test / review the new Pixel King Pro for Nikon?

I realise this is a Canon forum but just thought I'd ask here first as you may be interested for the HSS function with the CL as well. Thanks.

Elv, I have both CL-180's and CL-360's for testing with my Nikon equipment. I have successfully used both with PW + Nikon for HSS which has worked fine so far. I don't currently have access to the new Pixel King Pro. Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

P.S. I have access to almost all current and past Nikon DSLR models.

Matt

Chad ­ D
224 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 06, 2013 20:36 |  #2201

use mine in a 60 softlighter :)

ChadDahlquist.com (external link) - photography site
HappyFish.com (external link) - post production services for professional photographers

ZoranC
285 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 06, 2013 21:39 |  #2202

elv wrote in post #16184764 (external link)

I would like to test if provided "recipe", but be warned I am not a reviewer ...

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 06, 2013 21:56 |  #2203

A speedlite will fill an 80" PLM. Just not very much light. I think I got about F5.6 ISO 400.

The CL180 or 360 is much more powerful.

As Jim points out. Its all about what kind of exposure setting you want to achieve.

The bare bulb does a nice job of spreading the light with minimal loss.

ZoranC
285 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 06, 2013 23:34 |  #2204

Nikkor316 wrote in post #16148151 (external link)
Here's my PW firmware setting for HSS tab:

This worked for me, yay! _However_, I too noticed "interference bars" on one occasion when flash was used in H mode. I am guessing that underexposure makes them more visible.

BigIronCruiser
167 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2013

Aug 06, 2013 23:38 as a reply to  @ Chad D's post |  #2205

33" QWBD White Beauty Dish/OCTA

I received one of the newly released Cheetah 33" White Beauty Dish/Octa's today. The following are simply my observations.

What I like the best is that this new BD/Octa is lightweight and takes up very little space when collapsed. It also produces nice light, both with and without the diffuser. On the other hand, it takes a good bit of force to open, and the attention to detail on the unit I received could be better. Anyone that needs a grid on their BD/Octa, by the way, will have to look elsewhere.

In terms of build quality, mine was delivered with a small hole (see Image 5) where the thread that holds the outer shell to the ribs was laced through the outer fabric instead of the seam where the panels are stitched together. The other issues are that 2 of the 4 places (Image 2 & 3) where the outer fabric is stitched to the ribs looks like it will eventually break or unravel, and the overall stitching (see Image 6) isn't the greatest.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i565.photobucke​t.com …er/33%20Octa/DS​C_2844.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

Image 1 - Close up of the self-locking joints/knuckles. Once opened, this BD will absolutely stay open.

http://i565.photobucke​t.com …er/33%20Octa/DS​C_2848.jpg (external link)

Image 2 - Example of loose thread where the seam is connected to a rib.

http://i565.photobucke​t.com …er/33%20Octa/DS​C_2846.jpg (external link)

Image 3 - Another example of loose thread that will probably break or unravel. Why would other seams have 5 or 6 threads, but this one only has 3?

http://i565.photobucke​t.com …er/33%20Octa/DS​C_2852.jpg (external link)

Image 4 - Shows that deflector is held in place by 3 pieces of wire.

http://i565.photobucke​t.com …er/33%20Octa/DS​C_2854.jpg (external link)

Image 5 - Hole where the stitching goes through the outer fabric instead of the seam.

http://i565.photobucke​t.com …er/33%20Octa/DS​C_2856.jpg (external link)

Image 6 - Wider view of the small hole, plus light leakage can be seen elsewhere due to loose stitching.

http://i565.photobucke​t.com …er/33%20Octa/DS​C_2842.jpg (external link)

Image 7 - Captured with CL-360 + 33" Beauty Dish/Octa

http://i565.photobucke​t.com …er/33%20Octa/DS​C_2832.jpg (external link)

Image 8 - Captured with CL-360 + 33" Beauty Dish/Octa

sponsored links

1,294,191 views & 272 likes for this thread
A New Bare Bulb Flash Arrives
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.