Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 08 Dec 2012 (Saturday) 04:28
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Price Projections of New Canon 7D mkII"
<$1500
5.8%
$1500
4.4%
$1600
4.7%
$1700
6.9%
$1800
15.3%
$1900
10.4%
$2000
19.2%
$2100
7%
$2200
8.4%
$2300
4.2%
$2400
2.6%
$2500
2.6%
>$2500
8.4%

569 voters, 569 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D mkII. What do you think the specs and price will be?

this thread is locked
h14nha
Goldmember
2,033 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 04, 2013 17:00 |  #181

hollis_f wrote in post #16180362 (external link)
But does it "need to be a game changer"?

No it doesn't BUT, I really hope it is :D

Ian
There's no fool like an old skool fool :D
myflickr (external link)
My Gear - 7d, / 16-35mm F4 / 70-200 2.8 II / 100-400 / 300mm 2.8 / 500/4 :D XT-1 Graphite 18/35/56

sponsored links
rjharris
983 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 04, 2013 17:56 |  #182

Last rumor I read was that the 7D II wouldn't be out until late 2014.

http://www.canonrumors​.com …-mark-ii-information-cr2/ (external link)

I'm thinking I might replace my 30D with a 70D once they start getting refurbished ones out so then I should be good to go for a long while. Kind of want to switch to Nikon just because they seem so much more consumer oriented (putting out new products) but I've got too much invested in glass, pocket wizards and such, oh well such is life.

jrbdmb
Goldmember
1,291 posts
Joined May 2011

Aug 05, 2013 17:02 |  #183

rjharris wrote in post #16181096 (external link)
Last rumor I read was that the 7D II wouldn't be out until late 2014.

http://www.canonrumors​.com …-mark-ii-information-cr2/ (external link)

I'm thinking I might replace my 30D with a 70D once they start getting refurbished ones out so then I should be good to go for a long while. Kind of want to switch to Nikon just because they seem so much more consumer oriented (putting out new products) but I've got too much invested in glass, pocket wizards and such, oh well such is life.

That CR2 rumor is rather depressing to me. Waiting another year to get the 70D sensor, featuring a few extra MP and about the same DR / noise performance that we already have. Perhaps it will have an amazing 1DX-like AF system, but I don't think that is what crops shooter have been asking for.

Tools: 70D, 10-22, Tamron 24-70 VC, 70-300L, 135 f2L

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,306 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 05, 2013 17:27 |  #184

jrbdmb wrote in post #16183694 (external link)
That CR2 rumor is rather depressing to me. Waiting another year to get the 70D sensor, featuring a few extra MP and about the same DR / noise performance that we already have. Perhaps it will have an amazing 1DX-like AF system, but I don't think that is what crops shooter have been asking for.

This is the one thing that I am most disappointed about. It's been years since Canon had any real improvement to IQ. They have been doing great on the feature set and today's cameras are way better in that regard, but the image itself has not improved all that much other than pumping up the in camera noise reduction and better jpeg conversion algorithms.
We not have multiple cameras using the Exmore sensor which shows great improvement it IQ and now Fuji and Panasonic have announced their new sensor which looks to improve on the Exmores performance. Where is Canon? It seems as if Canon is relinquishing the still market to others and putting all their eggs into the video basket.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

kcbrown
Cream of the Crop
5,384 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Aug 05, 2013 20:15 |  #185

gjl711 wrote in post #16183764 (external link)
This is the one thing that I am most disappointed about. It's been years since Canon had any real improvement to IQ. They have been doing great on the feature set and today's cameras are way better in that regard, but the image itself has not improved all that much other than pumping up the in camera noise reduction and better jpeg conversion algorithms.
We not have multiple cameras using the Exmore sensor which shows great improvement it IQ and now Fuji and Panasonic have announced their new sensor which looks to improve on the Exmores performance. Where is Canon? It seems as if Canon is relinquishing the still market to others and putting all their eggs into the video basket.

Which I find odd, because they're putting these improvements into DSLRs instead of creating a relatively inexpensive video camera line that can take EOS lenses.

If they wanted to clean up in the video world, they would create a line of (relatively) inexpensive camcorders that take EOS lenses and use APS-C lenses on the low end and full frame sensors on the high end. But they're not doing that at all that I know of.

"There are some things that money can't buy, but they aren't Ls and aren't worth having" -- Shooter-boy
Canon: 2 x 7D, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS, 55-250 IS, Sigma 8-16, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4, other assorted primes, and a 430EX.
Nikon: D750, D600, 24-85 VR, 50 f/1.8G, 85 f/1.8G, Tamron 24-70 VC, Tamron 70-300 VC.

andrikos
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,905 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 06, 2013 04:09 |  #186

Taking CR's record of accuracy into consideration, I'd say it's highly unlikely that the 7DII will have the same sensor as the 70D...

Think new Canon lenses are overpriced? Lots (and lots) of data will set you free!

rjharris
983 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 06, 2013 06:59 |  #187

andrikos wrote in post #16185011 (external link)
Taking CR's record of accuracy into consideration, I'd say it's highly unlikely that the 7DII will have the same sensor as the 70D...

If it ever comes out at all that is!!

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,306 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 06, 2013 07:02 |  #188

Given Canons record of re-using sensors and the speed at which they introduce new ones, I would be pleasantly surprised if the 7DII has a new sensor. There might be a slight change in the total pixel count, sort of like the XT/30D differentiation, but I think those things are Canon marketing playing games to make it look as if it has a different sensor. :)

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 06, 2013 07:48 |  #189

andrikos wrote in post #16185011 (external link)

It only a "CR2", hence stated as unlikely to be completely accurate.

And, given Canon's track record of use of APS-C sensors, I'd say the "unlikely" applies to it being a different sensor.

Tom

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,632 posts
Gallery: 1653 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Aug 07, 2013 15:46 |  #190

Some updated(?) specs from CR based on NL:

Aiming for 10fps... possible 12?!?
New AF.

This is looking promising and has me intrigued.

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/cameras/C​anon_7dmk2.html (external link)

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

Geordie ­ Amanda
365 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2007

Aug 07, 2013 16:40 |  #191

I for one will not be changing to the mkII if it gets the 70D sensor. To be the 'range' topper and have a borrowed sensor from a lesser model that will already be 12 months old by then is poor marketing and feels slightly disrespectful. I'd rather go buy a Nikon

Call me Amanda please :)

match14
362 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 07, 2013 16:49 as a reply to  @ Geordie Amanda's post |  #192

Canon cannot be expected to bring out yet another crop sensor in 12 months especially when you consider how much the 18mp sensor was reused.

David
500px (external link)
Gear

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,632 posts
Gallery: 1653 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Aug 07, 2013 16:59 |  #193

Geordie Amanda wrote in post #16189222 (external link)
I for one will not be changing to the mkII if it gets the 70D sensor. To be the 'range' topper and have a borrowed sensor from a lesser model that will already be 12 months old by then is poor marketing and feels slightly disrespectful. I'd rather go buy a Nikon

I have no problems with the 7D2 using the 70D sensor. I do not plan to shoot landscape with it (certainly not its primary function) nor in low-light. It would be relegated to action and wildlife photography where accurate AF tracking and high fps would be of importance.

20.2mp sensor is already equivalent to a 51.7mp FF sensor density. I wouldn't expect it to do worse than the current crop of 18mp sensors but I certainly won't kid myself into thinking it'll be much better either. :lol:

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

ElectronGuru
427 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 07, 2013 18:17 |  #194

Geordie Amanda wrote in post #16189222 (external link)
I for one will not be changing to the mkII if it gets the 70D sensor

Rumors are raw information, passed through an interpretation filter. They could have stated it: canon is moving to dual pixel sensors across the line. 70D gets it's first and 7D2 is next in line, with other models following.

Said this way, removes the connotation of 'recycled sensor' and leaves open the option for the 7D2 to have a version with 12 months of additional R and D. Over time, they can develop several classes of dual pixel sensor, for several classes of camera.

"Light is the paint, lenses are brush, sensors are the canvas"
6D | 100L Macro | 50L | 24L TSE
Builder of custom flashlights, OVEREADY.com (external link)

Geordie ­ Amanda
365 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2007

Aug 07, 2013 18:41 |  #195

I do understand the meaning of the word 'rumour' but as it is the only information we have for this thread to even exist, I was expressing my views on the said rumour. I am fed up with the amount of investment, research and features appearing on DSLRs that pertain to the shooting of video. I want the money and time to be spent on my next stills camera. I would like the videographers to finance the next generation of there own recording equipment. I do understand that the research for recording an image will be along similar lines, regardless of whether it be a single frame or multiple ones shot in a sequential manner, but I don't want. it.

Sadly until Canon make me chief executive of the department titled 'What Amanda wants in her next camera' and gives me a mega budget to go with the new position, I have to make do with shared sensors with a camera I consider to be inferior. As I have alluded to previously, the engine in a Honda might be a little gem, but I don't want it in my Ferrari.

Call me Amanda please :)

sponsored links

87,908 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D mkII. What do you think the specs and price will be?
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.