Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 07 Aug 2013 (Wednesday) 20:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

printing with canon Pro-100

m52
Goldmember
1,217 posts
Gallery: 51 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 07, 2013 20:08 |  #1

I have A Dell U2410 monitor and have it calibrated using ColorMunki Display.
prints are darker then whats on the monitor. is there a setting on the Pro 100 I need to turn off? I have none selected under color matching.
I have read Rene's sticky on color management and Woody Lee's link on printing with a canon printer.

Randy

sponsored links
tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 07, 2013 20:29 |  #2

It's very common for monitors to be set too brightly, turning brightness down is the first thing I do with a new monitor, especially before printing.

And then, it's important to view prints in good light, since they display images by reflecting light (as opposed to a monitor which projects light). A decent light with a "neutral" color cast is good. Daylight (without direct sun) can also be good.

Test things out and re-adjust your monitor accordingly. I would take that approach rather than try to mess with the printer software. A good monitor should provide a good preview without needing printer software "corrections", although it is common to do some tweaking in your editing software while preparing to print.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Brian ­ Lumb ­ Photography
31 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Aug 08, 2013 11:19 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #3

m52,
I also have the PRO-100 and use the Dell U2410, actually I use a dual U2410 setup at work and a single U2410 at home.

In both locations I have the set the brightness level differently. At work there is a ton of overhead fluorescent lighting, which I would love to turn off, so the monitors are a little brighter in this location.

At home the U2410 is set at it's lowest brightness setting to achieve proper calibration. The prints still come out a little darker when using the Pro9000 but I haven't noticed that issue with the PRO-100.

Currently I am battling a color cast while printing in Black and White with the PRO-100. It seems that I just cannot turn off the color. I have black and white images that seem to have a greenish tint to them when print on Pro Luster paper, with or without the “Black and White Print” button selected.

I tried a test image from Northlight Images on Galerie Smooth Pearl and got the greenish tint when selecting “black and white print”, but not when I do not select the option.

BTW, all prints where printed with LR4 managing color, with the correct profiles set for medium and printer. I may have to find someone with a spectrophotometer to check the prints so I can create my own printer profiles.

Don't want to hijack the thread but, Anyone know of a place that I can send printed samples to for the creation of custom profiles?

5D Mark IV Gripped, Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II, EF 16-35 f2.8L II, EF 100 f2.8L IS Macro, EF 100-400 f4.5-5.6L II, Sigma 100-300 f/4 APO, 600EXII, 580EXII, Pixma Pro-10, and Pixma Pro-100.

m52
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,217 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 08, 2013 20:15 |  #4

Thanks for the reply's,
Tony I have tried to adjusting brightness and contrast. I have the brightness set to 0 and the contrast to 50.
BlueFalcon, I haven't tried printing black and white yet. And I'm not concerned with you hijacking the thread ask away I might need the info later hope you get it figured out.
Some prints are just a little darker, some are to dark. Have tried using the brightness and contrast adjustments that come with the software but not getting consistent results.

Randy

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 09, 2013 03:48 |  #5

Randy,

I'm amazed a brightness setting of 0 is possible, with my Samsung 910n monitor I'd be getting nothing whatsoever.

What suggestions does your ColorMunki make?

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 09, 2013 06:10 |  #6

Generally speaking, leave the monitor at "Native" color temperature and contrast (100%), unless you absolutely need to mess with them to reach a specific target…

Here's a nice test image: http://www.drycreekpho​to.com …/monitor_sensit​ivity.html (external link)

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

PUREBRAD
417 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 09, 2013 21:40 as a reply to  @ René Damkot's post |  #7

I have a Dell monitor 2408WFP and use a Pixma Pro 9000 to print. I know from my experience with the two, that my prints come out dark if I do not adjust the brightness on the monitor.

That said, I always use my monitor at factory defaults for all settings (+/- 0) until I go to edit / print. I have learned from experience that I need to (+2) on brightness to get the print to the same brightness level as my monitor.

I don't adjust colors in any way. So a general calibration isn't necessary for me. I trust my camera / printer / paper / ink to get the colors correct.

Try printing off a few small (4x6)'s and adjust your brightness level from there. Eventually you will be able to identify the necessary brightness level for your equipment.

50D / 28-1.8 / 100-2.8L / 200-2.8L / YN565Ex

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 09, 2013 21:50 |  #8

PUREBRAD wrote in post #16195461 (external link)
I have a Dell monitor 2408WFP and use a Pixma Pro 9000 to print. I know from my experience with the two, that my prints come out dark if I do not adjust the brightness on the monitor.

That said, I always use my monitor at factory defaults for all settings (+/- 0) until I go to edit / print. I have learned from experience that I need to (+2) on brightness to get the print to the same brightness level as my monitor.

I don't adjust colors in any way. So a general calibration isn't necessary for me. I trust my camera / printer / paper / ink to get the colors correct.

Try printing off a few small (4x6)'s and adjust your brightness level from there. Eventually you will be able to identify the necessary brightness level for your equipment.

I'm not clear on what you are saying here -- you say that the prints come out dark if you don't adjust your monitor, then you say " I always use my monitor at factory defaults for all settings (+/- 0) until I go to edit / print. I have learned from experience that I need to (+2) on brightness to get the print to the same brightness level as my monitor."...are you saying you set the printer to +2 brighter, or do you mean you set the monitor actually to -2, or...?

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

PUREBRAD
417 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 09, 2013 22:17 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #9

Excuse my lack of clarity.

I leave my monitor on the factory defaults for general computer usage. When I go to print however, I have noticed that my images come out dark on said settings. So when I am editing an image that I plan to print, I always set the brightness on my monitor to (+2) during the editing process to compensate. I don't make any adjustments to the printer settings.

50D / 28-1.8 / 100-2.8L / 200-2.8L / YN565Ex

m52
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,217 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 09, 2013 22:30 |  #10

Richard, if I set a luminance of 120 the brightness is about 31, if I use a luminance of 90 it is about 6.
Rene, thanks for the link, after reading through it. I set the white point to native, the luminance to 120 and on the monitor I set the brightness to 0 and the contrast to 100. after calibration the brightness is 13 and the contrast is 97. have I done this right? the picture hasn't changed much on the monitor so I haven't tried printing yet.
PUREBRAD, I can adjust each print using the software with the printer, that's my next step if the calibration is done right. Just seams like you could waste a lot of ink on test prints.

Randy

sponsored links

4,060 views & 0 likes for this thread
printing with canon Pro-100
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.