Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 06 Aug 2013 (Tuesday) 07:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Where to buy and why?

pdrober2
Goldmember
2,318 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 07, 2013 22:15 |  #16

LV Moose wrote in post #16185293 (external link)
I think it's safe to say that B&H and Adorama are the top two companies that forum members regularly order from. All my gear has come from one or the other. Their prices are usually very close to one another; one may offer free shipping on an item that the other doesn't. Both have great customer service and return policies.

this.

Fujifilm X-T1 | 23 | 27 | 56 | 90 | 55-200
Feedback

sponsored links
HelenOster
That's me!
4,500 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 08, 2013 02:27 |  #17

Hogloff wrote in post #16189925 (external link)
Helen, I like it when you enter into these forms to fix up issues...but when you go on a promotion spree...not so much. Commercial promotions have no place on these boards...just my opinion.

Apologies; not intentional, I can assure you. I was responding to the comment from LV Moose that prices may differ at one retailer over another.........

Trique ­ Daddi
Goldmember
1,082 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2007

Aug 08, 2013 04:12 |  #18

Both B&H and Adorama do great business! I have purchased more from Adorama the past few years because I feel like there is an extra advocate having Helen to be able to contact but I haven't needed to. She does a great job!

Canon 7DMKII,7D 40D, 20D, CANON 100-400mm IS 4.5/5.6L, Canon 70-200mm 2.8L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 100mm 2.8 macro, Kenko Extension Tubes, Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS, 580EX II Flash,Gittos MH 5580 monopod, Thinktank Airport Takeoff.

James ­ P
Goldmember
1,904 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 08, 2013 07:32 |  #19

In Canada, buy from anywhere except Henry's. They have recently changed their return policy because of too many returns after being used for a weekend wedding. Good for them, bad for us if you have trouble with your new lens.

1Dx - 5DIII - 40D - Canon 24-70LII, 100L macro, 135L, 16-35L, 70-200 f4 and 100-400L lenses

- "Very good" is the enemy of "great." Sometimes we confuse the two.

HelenOster
That's me!
4,500 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 08, 2013 07:58 |  #20

Trique Daddi wrote in post #16190576 (external link)
I have purchased more from Adorama the past few years because I feel like there is an extra advocate having Helen to be able to contact but I haven't needed to. She does a great job!

Thanks! Hope I'm doing a halfway good job right now........sorry guys, but sitting in a fish restaurant on the beach, in Crete...it is stunning!

Nick5
Goldmember
3,112 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Aug 08, 2013 08:31 |  #21

HelenOster wrote in post #16188109 (external link)
Thanks for all the great Adorama feedback - and don'r forget I am easy to get hold of by email: Helen@adorama.com (external link) if you need any advice or after-sales support.

BTW we always do or best to price match to equally reputable retailers - you only need drop me an email with the relevant links (tho forgive me if I'm slow to respond for the next 8 days as I'm in Crete on vacation....)

Kali Thiaskethasi Helene.

Canon 5D Mark III (x2), BG-E11 Grips, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 16-35 f/4 L IS, 17-40 f/4 L, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/4 L IS Version II, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS Version II, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-55 f/2.8 L IS, 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 5 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 08, 2013 13:46 |  #22
bannedPermanent ban

HelenOster wrote in post #16190880 (external link)
Thanks! Hope I'm doing a halfway good job right now........sorry guys, but sitting in a fish restaurant on the beach, in Crete...it is stunning!

Then why are you glued to your cell phone? Put it away and enjoy the view.

HelenOster
That's me!
4,500 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 08, 2013 14:28 |  #23

Hogloff wrote in post #16191732 (external link)
Then why are you glued to your cell phone? Put it away and enjoy the view.

:D:D

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,838 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Aug 08, 2013 15:01 |  #24

I've had good service from the big three being mentioned but I've also used Allen's Camera (http://allenscamera.co​m/index.html (external link)) as well. If requested, they will also check out a lens prior to shipment to assure there are no obvious problems.

Their packaging is more hmmmmm I don't exactly know how to describe it other than to say they take time to package things like I would. My 100L macro box was wrapped in bubble wrap, then put into a larger box in the middle of those hateful but effective foam peanuts. You could tell it wasn't done on an assembly shipping line. BTW, the price was the same as the big three.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

BoingoBongo
211 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 08, 2013 15:21 |  #25

Like others, I usually use B&H. When it comes to bigger purchases (anything more than a couple hundred dollars), I like knowing that I won't have any problems with customer support if needed.

B&H have always been awesome to deal with and have always resolved any issues right away. I almost feel guilty buying from anywhere else.

xeodragon
287 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 08, 2013 15:48 |  #26

BoingoBongo wrote in post #16192029 (external link)
Like others, I usually use B&H. When it comes to bigger purchases (anything more than a couple hundred dollars), I like knowing that I won't have any problems with customer support if needed.

B&H have always been awesome to deal with and have always resolved any issues right away. I almost feel guilty buying from anywhere else.

B&H definitely has great price, selection, and customer service, however, I do notice that their male customer service representatives give off this sense of arrogance and attitude... somewhat difficult to explain... like they don't really want to help you. This is my personal experience from speaking with them on the phone re: RMA requests, etc. over the past couple of years. Anyone else have this experience?

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
4,474 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 08, 2013 18:13 |  #27

xeodragon wrote in post #16192111 (external link)
B&H definitely has great price, selection, and customer service, however, I do notice that their male customer service representatives give off this sense of arrogance and attitude... somewhat difficult to explain... like they don't really want to help you.

They're New Yorkers, what do you expect? :D

When you see my camera gear you'll think I'm a pro.
When you see my photos you'll know that I'm not.

LostArk
417 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 09, 2013 00:26 |  #28

I've bought from B&H, Amazon, and Adorama and have the following anecdotes to contribute:

- B&H has 5-star customer service. Amazon has never let me down, but I'm always using their automated systems or chatting with someone in India. With B&H I can always get in touch with a person willing to take care of me. Shout out to Henry Posner. I've also found B&H consistently packs and ships their items with greater care than Amazon or Adorama. B&H has earned my trust to the point that I'm anxious about buying big ticket photography gear from any other retailer.

www.unknoahble.com (external link)

snerd
662 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 09, 2013 00:47 |  #29

Bought all of my gear through Amazon over a few weeks. Top-notch service, even got a concierge calling me to make sure it all went well.

sponsored links

2,737 views & 0 likes for this thread
Where to buy and why?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.