Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 08 Aug 2013 (Thursday) 15:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

700D ... How to limit ISO in Automode

Colyn
708 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 08, 2013 15:57 |  #1

I dont know if I am blind or what but I cannot get my 700D to stop jumping 1600 ISO when shooting in full auto mode.

Any ideas.

Limiting AUTO ISO does not help.

Thank you.

Comments and crits are much appreciated.
Shoot till your finger bleeds ... it is just a moment in time and then it is gone forever.

sponsored links
YARDBURNER
116 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 08, 2013 16:12 |  #2

Shoot in P mode.

You set the ISO and the camera does the rest.

Full auto is just that. Full Auto

Mavgirl
647 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Aug 08, 2013 16:15 as a reply to  @ YARDBURNER's post |  #3

I think the name Auto ISO is a little bit confusing because it makes you think that it's used in auto mode.

6D/50D/350D with too many lenses
Calumet 4x5, Pentax SV 35mm, Canon A-1, Rebel G and many more toys...

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,170 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 08, 2013 16:22 |  #4

YARDBURNER wrote in post #16192185 (external link)
Full auto is just that. Full Auto

Yes, this is where your problem lies. Full auto tells the camera to make all the creative decisions, you have no control over the settings it chooses. There is nothing wrong with that, if you are just taking snapshots and don't care what settings are used, so long as the camera comes up with a halfway decent result. However, if you do want to use certain settings, then you have to set them yourself and you cannot do that in full auto, you need to use a semi-auto mode which will still look after the exposure etc., for you but allows you to take charge and have a say in how the end result will look, by controlling one / some of the settings.

Just set the ISO yourself, if the camera is picking one you are not happy with. At the moment you are telling the camera you don't care what it chooses and to pick one itself, then complaining that it keeps picking the wrong one.

Colyn
THREAD ­ STARTER
708 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 08, 2013 18:01 |  #5

Thank you all for your input ... just tested the P Mode and it works as expected.

I am just a bit confused at why Canon opted to make the AUTO mode ignore the AUTO ISO Limit. It just does not make sense. What it does do is that anytime you shoot in a typical family snapshot environment indoors, the ISO jumps to 1600 ... and you end up with a flashed shot but it is noisy.

I bought the 700D and 6D at the same time ... I use the 700D more like a P&S which I take with me whenever I leave the house. Been using the 400D and the 550D like that for years. Now this 700D has some mysteries hidden in the menu system that is making me go wonkers when it hits me ;)

Thanks again guys.

PS ... here are some typical type of shot that use the 700D for ...

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 403 | MIME changed to 'text/plain'

IMAGE NOT FOUND

... and here are two shots done with the 6D the same weekend.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Shoot till your finger bleeds ... it is just a moment in time and then it is gone forever.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,273 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Aug 08, 2013 18:03 |  #6

Full auto is point and shoot mode, you don't get to really control anything, including the lack of limitations on auto-ISO. You get more control the farther along the dial you go.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Colyn
THREAD ­ STARTER
708 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 08, 2013 18:11 |  #7

TeamSpeed wrote in post #16192486 (external link)
Full auto is point and shoot mode, you don't get to really control anything, including the lack of limitations on auto-ISO. You get more control the farther along the dial you go.

I agree ... I usually hit the green square when a shot of family or an interesting object pops up in a mall, room or function ... otherwise I shoot mostly on AV.

With the 550D I did not have this issue of the ISO jumping for the ceiling. I preferred the Full Auto mode because it also pops the flash when needed. I will just have to remember to pop the flash manually in P Mode. ;)

Thank you.

tgara
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 08, 2013 18:48 as a reply to  @ Colyn's post |  #8

Do you have Safety Shift engaged? If so, it may be responsible for changing the ISO beyond the set range. It will override the set ranges under certain conditions.

EOS 5D Mark III
EOS Rebel SL1
Full Gear List

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,170 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 08, 2013 19:38 |  #9

tgara wrote in post #16192571 (external link)
Do you have Safety Shift engaged? If so, it may be responsible for changing the ISO beyond the set range. It will override the set ranges under certain conditions.

I can't imagine Safety Shift being applicable in full auto, it would surely be locked out the same as auto ISO. The camera doesn't need a setting to override anything, when it is setting everything itself anyway.

tgara
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 08, 2013 20:27 |  #10

sandpiper wrote in post #16192680 (external link)
I can't imagine Safety Shift being applicable in full auto, it would surely be locked out the same as auto ISO. The camera doesn't need a setting to override anything, when it is setting everything itself anyway.

Actually, it turns out the 700D doesn't even have Safety Shift.

You are right, in full auto, one cannot set the ISO limits at all. As one person said above, Full auto is full auto. Turns out in Full auto, ISO will float between 100 and 6400 on the 700D.

I am just a bit confused at why Canon opted to make the AUTO mode ignore the AUTO ISO Limit. It just does not make sense.

It makes perfect sense if you think about it more carefully. Full auto is full auto. Which means Auto Everything, including ISO. As explained in the manual, if you want to set an ISO limit, you have to do it in the "Creative Zone" modes, which include P, Av, Tv, and M and not Full Auto or the Scene modes. Switch to P mode and you can limit the ISO, as you've found out.

EOS 5D Mark III
EOS Rebel SL1
Full Gear List

sponsored links

3,155 views & 0 likes for this thread
700D ... How to limit ISO in Automode
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.