Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 08 Aug 2013 (Thursday) 15:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Dark photo in 'M' mode

ketan
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Sep 2003

Aug 08, 2013 15:49 |  #1

Hi,
I have a 30 D. Just recently I face a problem that the photographs come very dark. I face this in many lenses like kit lens 18-55, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Sigma 10-20. Mainly I face problem under M mode.
Any idea what can be the issue?
Thanks
Ketan

sponsored links
2n10
Cream of the Crop
17,090 posts
Gallery: 81 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Aug 08, 2013 15:54 |  #2

A picture with its EXIF intact will help greatly.

It seems as though your photos are badly underexposed by your settings choices.

John
Equipment
My Portfolio (external link)

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Aug 08, 2013 15:54 |  #3

ketan wrote in post #16192114 (external link)
Hi,
I have a 30 D. Just recently I face a problem that the photographs come very dark. I face this in many lenses like kit lens 18-55, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Sigma 10-20. Mainly I face problem under M mode.
Thanks
Ketan

Can you post a sample pic and the exposure settings?

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,604 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 08, 2013 15:55 |  #4

As was said by mike, that mode expects you to pick the right settings to make the picture come out right. If you don't understand why your pictures are coming out dark in M mode, then I would advise not using it right now. If you are interested in learning how to use M mode, there are a number of websites and books that cover basic photography exposure settings. That may be advantageous to you.

But again, for now, just use the other modes where the camera assists you in getting a proper exposure. Move to M when you know why and how you would use it.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

Fernando
Goldmember
1,628 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 08, 2013 16:00 |  #5

ketan wrote in post #16192114 (external link)
Hi,
Thanks
Ketan

Like the others have said, they're dark because the setting are off. Big picture, get to know your exposure triangle

Shutter Speed
Aperture
ISO

To get more light.
Longer shutter.
Wider aperture
Higher ISO

If none of those get you in the right direction the answer is lighting but now things have been complicated by another variable.

This assumes you want to stay in M.

Fuji convert - Ping me if you have any Fuji gear or legacy glass you're moving.

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 08, 2013 16:03 |  #6

M = Manual

It requires you to choose the correct settings for the photo.

Most likely, you are not choosing the correct settings.

But again as stated, a photo with EXIF is the best help here.

Gear List

morph2_7
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Aug 08, 2013 16:05 |  #7

Looking at OP's old posts, (s)he's been using 30D since 2007 so I'd expect (s)he knows how to use the camera in M mode by now. Sadly, OP doesn't always come back to follow up on most of his posts. I don't understand why some people ask questions but don't really care about the replies.

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 08, 2013 16:08 |  #8

morph2_7 wrote in post #16192161 (external link)
Looking at OP's old posts, (s)he's been using 30D since 2007 so I'd expect (s)he knows how to use the camera in M mode by now. Sadly, OP doesn't always come back to follow up on most of his posts. I don't understand why some people ask questions but don't really care about the replies.

I know people who have used a camera for longer than that and still don't have a clue about how to use M mode.

Gear List

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,578 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Aug 08, 2013 16:10 |  #9

Do the same shots as before with the same settings, but raise your ISO 2 stops. :)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Lien
280 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Aug 08, 2013 16:15 |  #10

Numenorean wrote in post #16192170 (external link)
I know people who have used a camera for longer than that and still don't have a clue about how to use M mode.

Me 2.. I know many people that had a dSLR for years and never take it out of Auto.

I recommend not using Manual if you do not understand exposure. Just stick with Auto or Program until you learn.

Canon 6D | Fuji X100 | Fuji XE-2 | Canon 24-105L | Canon 50 1.4 | Canon 85 1.8 | Canon EF 70-300 IS USM | 430EX | 270EX

Mavgirl
647 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Aug 08, 2013 16:17 as a reply to  @ Lien's post |  #11

It could also be a matter of the meter not reading accurately or not understanding how the meter works in different modes. One could fully understand how to use M mode based on the meter reading then be a little confused when the pictures came up underexposed.

6D/50D/350D with too many lenses
Calumet 4x5, Pentax SV 35mm, Canon A-1, Rebel G and many more toys...

WaltA
Goldmember
3,868 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Aug 08, 2013 17:12 |  #12

The OP seems to suggest it worked fine until lately.
There might be a problem with the camera.

Walt
400D, 5D, 7D and a bag of stuff

ketan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Sep 2003

Aug 09, 2013 00:52 as a reply to  @ WaltA's post |  #13

Thank you very much for all the responses and taking out time for helping me.
I am fairly comfortable with using M mode. Yesterday, there was a firework in the town that I wanted to photograph. I shoot them since last 5 years. The settings I use are Iso 100, lens from auto to manual focus mode, focus to infinity, and 'bulb' mode so I can capture exposure correctly. Also I use cable release.
This settings worked perfectly ok every year but was terrified to find it gave extremely dark exposures yesterday when I set my camera with these settings on my Manfrotto.
Can some electronics malfunctioning would have caused this?
Thanks once again
Ketan

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,552 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 09, 2013 01:00 |  #14

For the fireworks, what aperture were you using and how long were you holding the shutter open?

ketan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Sep 2003

Aug 09, 2013 01:11 as a reply to  @ mike_d's post |  #15

Damn...you hit the nail on spot. I am ashamed to taking time and bothering all of you. I first shot on TV with 2 sec and then in the dark just moved settings to M mode without realizing that I has the aperture at 32. May be I was not in right frame of mind. I had just set up camera 15 min before the fireworks and I panicked and probably my thinking facility closed.
Thank you buddy..(and sorry to have wasted time of all on something stupid)
Ketan

sponsored links

2,544 views & 0 likes for this thread
Dark photo in 'M' mode
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.