Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 08 Aug 2013 (Thursday) 07:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Does Canon ever put L lenses on sale?

chrisr09
195 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 08, 2013 07:38 |  #1

I thought I remember reading somewhere/sometime that Canon puts their lenses on sale once or twice a year. Does anyone know if this is true and what their schedule is? I'm looking to buy the 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM and would love to save a few dollars if it will be on sale soon.

Christine ~ My Flickr (external link) ~ My Fine Art America (external link)
- - - - - - - - -
Canon 5DIII & Canon 7DII ~ Canon 16-35mm f/4L ~ Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM ~ Canon 24-105mm f/4L ~ Canon 400mm f/5.6L USM ~ Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 Di VC USD ~ Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 ~ Canon Speedlights 430 EX & 430 EXII ~ Induro CT-213 tripod ~ Acratech GP ballhead

sponsored links
KhaledA
211 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Aug 08, 2013 07:46 |  #2

I think it's around Christmas, not sure though, since it's different here.

My gallery (external link)

Tommy1957
Goldmember
1,288 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Aug 08, 2013 07:57 |  #3

There are L lenses in the refurbished listings all the time.

http://shop.usa.canon.​com …rbished-lenses-speedlites (external link)

Just checked. 70-200 II is out-of-stock.

chrisr09
THREAD ­ STARTER
195 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 08, 2013 08:11 as a reply to  @ Tommy1957's post |  #4

Thanks. Don't think I can wait for Christmas. Got 2 vacations coming up in Sept. and Oct.

I did check the Canon refurb site yesterday. There was one yesterday morning, but it was gone by afternoon. By the time I add tax and shipping on the refurb, I could just about buy a new one. I'll think a little more on it today and decide. Tough to shell out that much money on a luxury item like this (hobby) but I'm sure I will not regret it after I get it.

- - - - - - - - -
Canon 5DIII & Canon 7DII ~ Canon 16-35mm f/4L ~ Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM ~ Canon 24-105mm f/4L ~ Canon 400mm f/5.6L USM ~ Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 Di VC USD ~ Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 ~ Canon Speedlights 430 EX & 430 EXII ~ Induro CT-213 tripod ~ Acratech GP ballhead

awesomeshots
Goldmember
1,220 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Aug 08, 2013 08:21 |  #5

Check amazon. I keep getting emails from them with some great L lens prices.

Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 6D, Canon 24-70 F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/4L IS, 135mm 2.0 L, 85mm 1.8, Speedlite 430 II.

Tommy1957
Goldmember
1,288 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Aug 08, 2013 08:27 |  #6

Have you considered the Tamron and Sigma offerings in the 70-200 OS/VC/IS/VR? I have the Sigma and for a hobby shooter like me, it is fine. Lots of folks seem to like the Tamron, also. I am sure the Canon II is better in several ways than my Sigma. I am equally sure it is not $1500 worth of better.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,232 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 08, 2013 12:28 |  #7

There are rebate offers at times, on selected lenses.
There are refurbished lenses offered at times, on selected lenses.
Not all distributors of Canon goods have such rebates or refurbs available.

Other than that, there probably is no universal statement

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

BufordFZ1
622 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Aug 08, 2013 12:46 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #8

Check the below website. At the bottom of the page is historical pricing in a graph format that will help answer you question of when sales or reduction in prices happens.

http://www.canonpricew​atch.com …2.8L-IS-USM-II-price.html (external link)

A2, 60D, 5DII
Canon EF 17-40mm L
EF 100mm L
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L
Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM,Canon 50 1.4, 430 EXII,580 EXII

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,199 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 08, 2013 12:51 |  #9

Canon does put their L lenses on sale. Just start watching various vendors. When you see their prices jump by say $300 dollars, a $200 rebate is imminent. :) Seriously, if you watch the prices long enough there is a strong correlation to price and rebate.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,232 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 08, 2013 12:59 |  #10

gjl711 wrote in post #16191584 (external link)
Canon does put their L lenses on sale. Just start watching various vendors. When you see their prices jump by say $300 dollars, a $200 rebate is imminent. :) Seriously, if you watch the prices long enough there is a strong correlation to price and rebate.

But one cannot necessarily directly attribute this phenomenon to 'Canon' per se...the MSRP has not necessarily changed, but the 'street price' goes up or down in somewhat inverse relationship to rebates...gets more profit in the pocket of the retailer from the consumer because the discounting from MSRP is not so severe as otherwise, to offset the money 'given back' to the consumer by the distributor.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,199 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 08, 2013 13:06 |  #11

Wilt wrote in post #16191610 (external link)
But one cannot necessarily directly attribute this phenomenon to 'Canon' per se...the MSRP has not necessarily changed, but the 'street price' goes up or down in somewhat inverse relationship to rebates...gets more profit in the pocket of the retailer from the consumer because the discounting from MSRP is not so severe as otherwise, to offset the money 'given back' to the consumer by the distributor.

True enough. :) Best bet is to set a price on some site like Canonpricewatch and pick one up when it hits your target rebate or not.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

chrisr09
THREAD ­ STARTER
195 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 08, 2013 13:30 |  #12

BufordFZ1 wrote in post #16191570 (external link)
Check the below website. At the bottom of the page is historical pricing in a graph format that will help answer you question of when sales or reduction in prices happens.

http://www.canonpricew​atch.com …2.8L-IS-USM-II-price.html (external link)

Thank you. I just signed up to be notified if there is a price drop. I think I will wait a few weeks and see what happens. I do believe I want to stick to Canon rather than the others mentioned, even if it means paying a lot more. I really appreciate everyone's responses.

- - - - - - - - -

stevensondrive
33 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Aug 08, 2013 16:10 |  #13

http://camelcamelcamel​.com …B0033PRWSW?cont​ext=browse (external link)

the above site tracks the historical price that Amazon has on any specific item. I provided a link that shows the lens you are asking about. Happy shopping! :D

Canon 6D, 17-40L, 24-105L, 100-400L, 100L Macro, 50 1.8, 430EXii

Mike ­ R
Goldmember
4,319 posts
Joined May 2006

Aug 08, 2013 20:12 |  #14

awesomeshots wrote in post #16190924 (external link)
Check amazon. I keep getting emails from them with some great L lens prices.

What I've noticed about Amazon is that they over inflate the msrp , but sell at the same price as Adorama and B&H. They want lenses to seem like they're a greater discount than they really are.

Mike R
www.mikerubinphoto.com (external link)

topdslrs
98 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 08, 2013 20:19 |  #15

They do during Christmas, only after prices had gone up during the year. So if you check the prices in September and buy in December you would be getting a good deal.

However they do offer rebates (which are different than sales) when purchased with a camera.

Try our DSLR Simulator (external link)
TOPDSLRS.COM (external link)

sponsored links

3,640 views & 0 likes for this thread
Does Canon ever put L lenses on sale?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.