Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
Thread started 30 May 2013 (Thursday) 12:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 200-400/4,​0L IS USM 1.4X Teleconverter

wdh777
77 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Aug 05, 2013 16:29 as a reply to  @ post 16183247 |  #151

I was reading the manual and it is a little unclear when you can switch the 1.4 extender on. I'm using it with a 1Dx which is I think a group two camera. It almost sounds like I need to press the shutter half way when the camera is off to flip the switch. Do you need to turn the camera off or as long as it isn't focusing can you flip the switch so you can press the AF stop button on the lens and then feel free to flip with switch and don't have to press the shutter? Thanks

sponsored links
jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,616 posts
Gallery: 1650 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Aug 05, 2013 17:20 |  #152

It is my understanding that both IS and AF needs to be off when you flip the switch.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
4,075 posts
Gallery: 51 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 05, 2013 20:46 |  #153

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #16151244 (external link)
Good chance I'll get to try the 200-400 for at least a day next week at Oshkosh...

Well, did you?

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

Evan
Goldmember
1,327 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 06, 2013 02:47 |  #154

wdh777 wrote in post #16183633 (external link)
I was reading the manual and it is a little unclear when you can switch the 1.4 extender on. I'm using it with a 1Dx which is I think a group two camera. It almost sounds like I need to press the shutter half way when the camera is off to flip the switch. Do you need to turn the camera off or as long as it isn't focusing can you flip the switch so you can press the AF stop button on the lens and then feel free to flip with switch and don't have to press the shutter? Thanks

According to Arthur Morris:

I tracked down Rudy Winston, author of the article linked to above, for clarification:

"Thanks for all your insights into the new 200-400mm lens, and for taking the time to not simply work with it, but to invest in it, early-on. You are correct -- the advice about switching the built-in extender into or out of the optical path refers to cameras OTHER THAN the EOS-1D X and EOS 5D Mark III. With this lens, there is additional data communication that has to be pushed into the camera body, and it's done in a way that earlier cameras (5D Mark II, EOS-1D Mark IV, and so on) weren't initially designed to accommodate. Hence, the advice to switch into and out of extender operation carefully. With anything introduced after the 1D X and 5D III (that would include the EOS 6D, Rebel T5i & SL1, and new EOS 70D), you likewise can go into and out of extender operation without significant issues.

Our technical data from Japan included advisories to resist making the change during active camera operations (writing to the memory card, etc); to be honest, we haven't had a working sample in our department to be able to test it to see whether there's any issue with this when using the newer cameras. So the info you read on that on-line piece reflects what we have been told in the technical info from Japan. As a 5D III/1D X user, though, you don't have to worry about shutting down Live View and so on.

Best, Rudy

TLDR: If you have a camera model from the 5d3 or later, you do not need to worry about flipping the TC while the lens is still in operation (IS engaged/AF on). It is only the camera bodies made prior to the 5d3 where switching the TC while the lens is in operation can cause electrical/EXIF damage.

Hope this clears stuff up :)

--
flickr (external link)

tommykjensen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
20,886 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Mar 2004

Aug 06, 2013 03:43 |  #155

BirdBoy wrote in post #16184937 (external link)
According to Arthur Morris:

TLDR: If you have a camera model from the 5d3 or later, you do not need to worry about flipping the TC while the lens is still in operation (IS engaged/AF on). It is only the camera bodies made prior to the 5d3 where switching the TC while the lens is in operation can cause electrical/EXIF damage.

Hope this clears stuff up :)

Thanks for providing this information.

EDITING OF MY PHOTOS IS NOT ALLOWED

wdh777
77 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Aug 06, 2013 06:49 as a reply to  @ tommykjensen's post |  #156

Very helpful regarding switching. Thanks!

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 08, 2013 23:31 |  #157

From EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2013
1DMkIV .. 1/250 @ f/6.7 ISO 100 .. 560mm

IMAGE: http://crosswindimages.com/img/s10/v109/p1627637655-5.jpg

A check in Lightroom shows I managed to use 271 discreet focal lengths off this one lens over the two days I was able to try it! :lol:

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,616 posts
Gallery: 1650 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Aug 08, 2013 23:36 |  #158

So... does that mean you like it? :lol:

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

Mike53545
874 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 08, 2013 23:36 |  #159

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #16193074 (external link)
From EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2013
1DMkIV .. 1/250 @ f/6.7 ISO 100 .. 560mm

A check in Lightroom shows I managed to use 271 discreet focal lengths off this one lens over the two days I was able to try it! :lol:

BEAUTIFUL photo Jay!! I've been waiting to see some of those images and get your thought on them and the lens after you were able to get home and look at them on a computer.

Couple of Canons, and a couple L's :cool:

My website: www.mgnphoto.com (external link)
facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.co​m/MGNphoto (external link)

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
4,075 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 08, 2013 23:46 as a reply to  @ Mike53545's post |  #160

Jay, that's fantastic! Looking forward to more shots from this lens.

Two questions, please...

Do you feel the extra stops of IS was a benefit to you?
Was it easy to zoom with the lens while tracking planes?

Many thanks in advance.

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 08, 2013 23:55 |  #161

jwcdds wrote in post #16193081 (external link)
So... does that mean you like it? :lol:

Ooooh, Guy Like...! :)

Mike53545 wrote in post #16193082 (external link)
BEAUTIFUL photo Jay!! I've been waiting to see some of those images and get your thought on them and the lens after you were able to get home and look at them on a computer.

Thanks... Soooo many more to wade through. 12,900 total frames for the week. Guess I kind of slacked off some this year! ;)

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #16193107 (external link)
Jay, that's fantastic! Looking forward to more shots from this lens.

Two questions, please...

Do you feel the extra stops of IS was a benefit to you?
Was it easy to zoom with the lens while tracking planes?

Many thanks in advance.

I have a few that were at around 1/45 @ 400mm and they're tack sharp so yes, the new IS is quite capable!

Yes and No. Because I'm a pretty dedicated prime shooter (300 f/2.8 and 500 f/4), I often forgot I could zoom so I sometimes got caught with my left hand NOT in the optimal position to work the zoom ring. As the 200-400 is similar in size and weight to my 500mm, I often had my left hand too far out toward the hood and not firmly ON the zoom ring. Had to fumble for it a few times which left me in a less than optimal supporting position. #firstworldlearningcur​ve... ;)

Jay

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
4,075 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 09, 2013 01:19 as a reply to  @ FlyingPhotog's post |  #162

Thanks for the comments, Jay.

I just bought the 300 f2.8 II and tcs, so I'll have to put the 200-400 on the back-burner until next year. But I'm looking forward to renting the lens.

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 09, 2013 02:07 |  #163

Glad to help...

Matt Younkin at AirVenture
1DMkIV .. 1/250 @ f/6.7 ISO 100 .. 490MM

IMAGE: http://crosswindimages.com/img/s10/v106/p1678571112-5.jpg

Jay

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 09, 2013 13:41 |  #164

200-400 in the wild and hand-held...

IMAGE: http://crosswindimages.com/img/s10/v108/p1636573285.jpg

Jay

JBillings
878 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2005

Aug 10, 2013 12:31 as a reply to  @ FlyingPhotog's post |  #165

MLB under the lights. Boston @ Kansas City.

Canon 1Dx, f/4.0, 400mm, ISO 10,000, 1/1600 on a monopod.

Jury is in. This is an awesome lens. Made shooting much simpler and gave me lots more options.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

jb
Nature website (external link) -- Sports website (external link)

sponsored links

169,895 views & 269 likes for this thread
Canon 200-400/4,​0L IS USM 1.4X Teleconverter
FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.