Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk 
Thread started 31 Jul 2013 (Wednesday) 22:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

club photography

shubbert91
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Jul 31, 2013 22:26 |  #1

hello.
so im very very new when it comes to photography. just a beginner.
I have a canon rebel t4i with the af 18-55mm lens. also a metz 44 af-1 flash.
ive been doing a lot of club photography and a lot of my photos are very grainy. ive been reading a lot and its my iso is too high! but are there any other settings I should be using? i look at other club photographers and im no where near that! please help any advice or tips would be much appreciated !!

thanks !

sponsored links
sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 31, 2013 22:39 |  #2

Well, you can use a lower ISO, but only so long as you can still set the aperture and shutter speed you want. There is no point using a lower ISO if it means dropping your shutter speed to the point where you get a blurry picture from camera shake. In low light there is usually little you can do to keep the ISO low. Faster lenses, with a wider aperture, can help but that will give very shallow depth of field, which may not be suitable for what you are doing. IS lenses allow slower shutter speeds when handholding, but won't help with subject motion, so if you need a fast shutter speed to freeze subject motion, you are stuck with it.

There are just the three ways to adjust exposure, (ISO, aperture and shutter speed) you can set any of them where you like but they must add up to the correct exposure, so altering one means adjusting another in the opposite direction. Most of us aim to keep our ISO down as low as is practical, but it gets set as high as is needed to give suitable settings on the other two.

Don't try and get away with underexposing a little to use a lower ISO as that just makes the noise worse ehen you push the exposure back up. You are actually better off using a higher ISO and exposing to the right of the histogram (just google ETTR if you don't understand that) where noise is concerned.

After that, there is plenty of noise reduction software available that will reduce the noise significantly, with careful use.

shubbert91
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Jul 31, 2013 22:45 |  #3

yes i find when i lower my ISO the noise is a minimum, but then the photo is blurry. im not up todate with all the photography lingo, i kinda google as i go.

boingy
Goldmember
1,052 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 31, 2013 23:34 |  #4

If I had to shoot club photography with a rebel and a 18-55 I would use direct flash and drag the shutter often. Depending on the ambient light you would have to find the sweet spot to prevent ghosting. The rest is your skills and eye on capturing the decisive moment.

Flickr (external link)
Blog (external link)

JM ­ Photos
"Childhood ruined"
3,374 posts
Gallery: 65 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 31, 2013 23:54 |  #5

For the most part, the 18-55 kit lens is not the fastest lens in the bunch. I believe the fastest it gets is 3.5 (widest). You need to be shooting wide, mostly likely in Av mode. If you are getting a shutter speed lower than 200ish then the only thing you can do is bump the ISO up a bit. I would rather sacrifice a little grain rather than have my image blurry as hell. There is only so much the kit lenses can do.

My honest and best advice to give to you right now is to go pick up a 50mm 1.8 lens. This lens is very fast in low light conditions and needs minimal ISO bumping. They are super cheap (under USD $100). If you are willing to spend a few extra bucks, the 50mm 1.4 is even better and would be a great club lens (USD $400)

boingy wrote in post #16171575 (external link)
If I had to shoot club photography with a rebel and a 18-55 I would use direct flash and drag the shutter often. Depending on the ambient light you would have to find the sweet spot to prevent ghosting. The rest is your skills and eye on capturing the decisive moment.

A mounted flash is also a great option because it basically freezes (stop action) the subject even if they are moving. You are able to shoot clear crisp images at around 1/160 with this. Search Google for: Canon Speedlight 430EX II

Canon 6D, & Sony α6000
Own: 24-105mm f/4L | Tamron 150-600mm f/5-6.3 | Rokinon 14mm f/1.8
Want: 24-70mm f/2.8 L II | 70-200mm f/2.8 L II

georgebowman
Goldmember
1,510 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 31, 2013 23:59 |  #6

I tend to agree you should pick up a 50 f1.8 lens. You'll pick up speed and you'll be pleased with the images.

My Gear: 7d, XTi, 17-55f2.8 EF-S, 70-200f4L, 28-135 Kit lens, 2-580EXii

shubbert91
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Jul 31, 2013 23:59 |  #7

thank you everyone this is all very useful info, as I said I am a Noobie with this and im deff jumping in feet first! just playing around at home in the dark with my camera and flash the iso needs to be low and the shutter speed as high as possible. A new lens is probably in order since I am only using the default one that comes with.

also I tried to post a couple photos but it said my photos are too big? do I need to create a flickr account then?

JM ­ Photos
"Childhood ruined"
3,374 posts
Gallery: 65 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 01, 2013 00:01 |  #8

shubbert91 wrote in post #16171617 (external link)
thank you everyone this is all very useful info, as I said I am a Noobie with this and im deff jumping in feet first! just playing around at home in the dark with my camera and flash the iso needs to be low and the shutter speed as high as possible. A new lens is probably in order since I am only using the default one that comes with.

also I tried to post a couple photos but it said my photos are too big? do I need to create a flickr account then?

Majority of members here will have some sort of photo sharing website. Flickr and 500px seem to be popular but if you are just wanting to briefly show a few images, Photobucket and Tinypic will do the trick. Just make sure the images do not exceed 1024px in any direction because that is against forum rules to post images larger than that.

Canon 6D, & Sony α6000
Own: 24-105mm f/4L | Tamron 150-600mm f/5-6.3 | Rokinon 14mm f/1.8
Want: 24-70mm f/2.8 L II | 70-200mm f/2.8 L II

KCMO ­ Al
Goldmember
1,115 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Aug 09, 2013 19:45 |  #9

Also, in addition to the comments above, consider a tripod (a good one) and a ball head. This can be quite an expensive proposition but long-term is well worth the investment.
In addition, there are noise-reducing software programs out there. I'm not current on them, but a lot of information is out there

Film: Leica M-4, Elan 7E, Rolleiflex 2.8f, Pentax 645 -- Digital: Canon Pro-1, EOS 5D Mk III
EOS Lenses: Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX - Canon EF 17-40 f4.0L - Canon EF 24-105 f4.0L - Canon EF 35 f1.4L USM - Canon EF100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS USM - Canon EF100 f2.8 Macro - Other stuff: MR 14EX - 430EX - 580EXII - ST-E2 - TC1.4x - TC-80N3

sponsored links

1,419 views & 0 likes for this thread
club photography
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.