Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 07 Oct 2010 (Thursday) 02:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

GKPE 8, Yet more NZ ramblings from some flightless Kiwis.

Mark ­ Vuleta
Goldmember
4,162 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 09, 2013 05:20 |  #5356

And the same image with a little bit of PP (small amount of colour noise reduction in ACR (from the DNG file) Lens correction (which is a bit when you quickly flick from on to off EF50 F1.4), small bit of sharpening, resized and save for web.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
Mark0159
I say stupid things all the time
12,831 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Mar 2003

Aug 09, 2013 05:24 |  #5357

yep, a mark on a mirror one wouldn't think it's that hard to repair but alas.

the photo cleans up quite well. that's one thing I am impressed by with the 6D, the quality of the images and the centre AF in low light. you can point it to something dark in a dark room and you get AF. amazing.

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

RobDickinson
Goldmember
4,002 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 09, 2013 16:40 |  #5358

6D is awesome at high iso, crazy to think of what low light we can shoot in thesedays!

www.HeroWorkshops.com (external link) - www.rjd.co.nz (external link) - www.zarphag.com (external link)
Gear: A7r, 6D, Irix 15mmf2.4 , canon 16-35f4L, Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5 mk2, Sigma 50mm art, 70-200f2.8L, 400L. Lee filters, iOptron IPano, Emotimo TB3, Markins, Feisol, Novoflex, Sirui. etc.

manipula
Cream of the Crop
5,290 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 10, 2013 00:38 |  #5359

Hi. :)

Cheers, Dave.
www.manipula.co.nz (external link) :: Gear list for the nerds (external link) :: flickr (external link) :: ModelMayhem (external link)
:: insert scathing quip here! ::

Mark ­ Vuleta
Goldmember
4,162 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 10, 2013 00:52 |  #5360

manipula wrote in post #16195741 (external link)
Hi. :)

Hi back at ya, the wandering Wookie!

Good to be back home?

And Bye from me, out to dinner with some friends after a hard day in the drizzel going up & down on a cheery picker, I wish this job would hurry up & finish. :(

manipula
Cream of the Crop
5,290 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 10, 2013 01:14 |  #5361

It is good to be back home yes, but the travels were pretty cool.

And I'm for the night too, off to go and celebrate Photography by Jane's haul of awards in the NZIPP awards with some bevvies at her place! :)

Cheers, Dave.
www.manipula.co.nz (external link) :: Gear list for the nerds (external link) :: flickr (external link) :: ModelMayhem (external link)
:: insert scathing quip here! ::

weka2000
Is that a 300mm in your pocket?
20,718 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2005

Aug 10, 2013 02:37 as a reply to  @ manipula's post |  #5362

Lets see what this year has to offer

http://www.nzipp.org.n​z …eb/Default.aspx​?tabid=458 (external link)

Not even worth getting out my soap box anymore .......
and this year its seems to be HDR or very dark .

The winner for me was
Kaye Davis - man and woman image that is cool

The landscape image goes to ...

Janyne Fletcher ...... the water reflecting the mountains ..... very cleaver photo

https://500px.com/tony​searle/galleries (external link)

RobDickinson
Goldmember
4,002 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 10, 2013 04:02 |  #5363

Crazy stuff. :/

www.HeroWorkshops.com (external link) - www.rjd.co.nz (external link) - www.zarphag.com (external link)
Gear: A7r, 6D, Irix 15mmf2.4 , canon 16-35f4L, Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5 mk2, Sigma 50mm art, 70-200f2.8L, 400L. Lee filters, iOptron IPano, Emotimo TB3, Markins, Feisol, Novoflex, Sirui. etc.

Mark0159
I say stupid things all the time
12,831 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Mar 2003

Aug 10, 2013 04:17 |  #5364

to me most of it is just meh and it doesn't look a look like a photographs to me. It's more like graphic art.

When I look at that art work they don't come across as photos any more but as graphic art. I don't think wow, that's a photo that I can try and do and try and copy to see if I can produce myself. I would like to know how much photoshop work has gone in to some of these. If I saw these on a website that just shows art in all of it's shapes I wouldn't have guessed that these are photos. So I guess then being a photographer of the year you don't need to make it look like a photo.

I couldn't find anything that I would say is outstanding to be honest.

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

tim
Light Bringer
50,935 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 10, 2013 04:32 |  #5365

There are some great creations in that award. They're a combination of shooting and processing, of course, and they're meant to help push boundaries not be nice photos. However that's not what I want to do, I like taking and making photos for regular people, plus the education they provide was pretty much useless for me, so I resigned from NZIPP after 7 years membership.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

weka2000
20,718 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Aug 10, 2013 18:08 |  #5366

tim wrote in post #16195983 (external link)
There are some great creations in that award.

That sums it up in a nut shell.

Who knows in 5 years the winner could have used a cell phone to take all their photos and applied some way out effects app.

I look back on photos I took 5 years ago and go "What was I thinking when I took that" yet I have photos from 10 years ago that need that "graphic art" to bring it out. Its there just haven't worked out how to post process it yet.

In other news looks like I will finally be getting my folks 4x4 Toyota surf. The plan was to deck it out to sleep in over night with a gas cooker for coffees. So I could drive somewhere shoot sunset, sleep the night get up for sunrise then drive home.

RobDickinson
Goldmember
4,002 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 10, 2013 18:20 |  #5367

tim wrote in post #16195983 (external link)
There are some great creations in that award.

I wont disagree.

But the underlying photography of a lot of it is utter trash.

And I particularly dislike the highly placed landscapes. What it says is that the premier professional photographic body in NZ think that is what good landscape photography should be about.

We have a marked difference of opinion there.

Note I have nothing in particular against say Jackie Ranken, I think she's a fine tog and a decent person, I just dont think what she does (for these awards) is landscape photography when its more about processing and graphic design. She has many decent landscapes otherwise.

weka2000
20,718 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Aug 10, 2013 18:27 as a reply to  @ RobDickinson's post |  #5368

Jackies image of the lake and umbrellas is cool image but horizon is not straight. (See Scott its all your fault im horizon fixated :) )

There also seem to be a few ausys in the mix

Sancho
Goldmember
2,767 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 10, 2013 19:08 |  #5369

Wow! Floored at the quality of the portrait section :| Most of the classic should be in the creative section as I don't see too much 'classic' about it, and a good chunk of the creative look like someones just discovered photoshop filters for the first time. Usually as many of you know I like a bit of PP if done well, but overdoing it just looks like it was done by a 7 year old and a pack of crayons. I wonder what % are ot heavily processed.... On the positive side, good to see a few new names there, and good to recognise a lot of the names as my customers :)

Camera accessories? www.phototools.co.nz (external link) | Studio Lighting? www.studio-lighting.co.nz (external link)

weka2000
20,718 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Aug 10, 2013 19:22 as a reply to  @ Sancho's post |  #5370

I don't mind portraits been turned in to graphic art pieces as long as its not HDR.

Most of the ones I've done of my wife are heavy Post Processed. If anything I would like to do more. PP hides a lot of sins and things that are not perfect.

Landscapes on the other hand I prefer a purists approach ........ landscapes is about the light not lightroom then 100's of layers in photoshop to create light

sponsored links

865,766 views & 717 likes for this thread
GKPE 8, Yet more NZ ramblings from some flightless Kiwis.
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.