Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 08 Aug 2013 (Thursday) 20:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1DIII and Sigma WA lenses...

Don ­ Madson
360 posts
Joined May 2005

Aug 08, 2013 20:16 |  #1

I just bought myself a 1DIII to use as my primary sports-shooting body. I've already got a 7D, which does a great job, but I know the focus-capture speed is better, and the frame rate is higher, and they're pretty reasonable now, plus it operates a lot like the 7D, so no huge learning curve.

Running through my various lenses with the 1DIII, I see that I'm getting vignetting with my Sigma 10-20 and 17-70 lenses. I can pretty much eliminate it by changing the aspect ratio to 4:5, and it doesn't concern me much, as it's normally used with a 70-200L, a 100-400L, or a 100mm prime, but I'd like to know if this is common? The APS-H sensor certainly contributes to the vignetting, but I'm wondering if there's something about the Sigma construction that helps create the vignetting?

Regards!
Don

dmadson.photoreflect.c​om
T'ai Chi Ch'uan...Relaxation, with an attitude!
---------------
70D, Mamiya 645 Pro TL, some lenses, a tripod, a monopod, some filters, a few straps, some batteries, 2 flash units, a few bags...;)

sponsored links
Mike ­ Deep
Goldmember
1,907 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 08, 2013 20:22 |  #2

I experienced pretty severe vignetting with the 10-20 at all focal lengths, something about the design seems to keep the image circle at the same radius. The 8-16 doesn't have this problem and is usable from 11mm.

mikedeep.com (external link) - rocket launch photography

Don ­ Madson
THREAD ­ STARTER
360 posts
Joined May 2005

Aug 08, 2013 20:41 |  #3

Thanks, Mike. I might have to investigate the 8-16...

---------------
70D, Mamiya 645 Pro TL, some lenses, a tripod, a monopod, some filters, a few straps, some batteries, 2 flash units, a few bags...;)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,131 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Aug 08, 2013 20:51 |  #4

The Tokina 11-16 f2.8 works from 12mm onwards. The Sigma 12-24 works on a FF body, so it would work on the APS-H as well.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Don ­ Madson
THREAD ­ STARTER
360 posts
Joined May 2005

Aug 08, 2013 20:55 |  #5

Thanks, TeamSpeed. I'll have to do some in-store trials, I suppose. Meanwhile, I'll just change the aspect ratio if it REALLY comes up. I don't do a lot of landscape work, nor wide or UW in general, so I doubt I'll worry about it much.

---------------

smythie
I wasn't even trying
3,719 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 09, 2013 01:13 |  #6

Don Madson wrote in post #16192739 (external link)
Running through my various lenses with the 1DIII, I see that I'm getting vignetting with my Sigma 10-20 and 17-70 lenses. I can pretty much eliminate it by changing the aspect ratio to 4:5, and it doesn't concern me much, as it's normally used with a 70-200L, a 100-400L, or a 100mm prime, but I'd like to know if this is common? The APS-H sensor certainly contributes to the vignetting, but I'm wondering if there's something about the Sigma construction that helps create the vignetting?

Regards!
Don

It is due to the construction of the lenses: they are constructed to project an image to cover an APS-C sized sensor, not the larger APS-H sized sensor. That you are able to use them as much as you are is probably something to be thankful for rather than expectant of.

Gear List

Evan ­ Idler
Goldmember
1,600 posts
Joined May 2005

Aug 09, 2013 02:39 |  #7

If you have a 1.4 Teleconverter, you can use the Sigma 10-20mm without any significant
Vignetting. See this thread for examples https://photography-on-the.net …&highlight=sigm​a+10-20+1d

--Evan

Canon5DIII + Some L + Some non L + Some Sigma + Some Tamron + other stuff....
Patiently awaiting a winning Lottery Ticket to afford all the toys I would really like :-P

Mike ­ Deep
Goldmember
1,907 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 09, 2013 10:31 |  #8

I forgot all about that one, Evan, good suggestion.

Don ­ Madson
THREAD ­ STARTER
360 posts
Joined May 2005

Aug 09, 2013 10:51 |  #9

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Regards!
Don

---------------

Maxdave
Goldmember
1,162 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Aug 10, 2013 07:57 as a reply to  @ Don Madson's post |  #10

I use a Sigma 8-16mm on my 1DMkIII ... from about 12mm and longer, the vignetting is so slight that it does not present a problem. The image below is not edited for vignetting. That's the equivalent of about 15-16mm on a full frame.

You could use 11mm (~14mm) with some minor work on the corners (first image).

Maxdave

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

5D3,1D4,S90,6S&Moment Lenses,Hero4Silver,GPS​-E2,2x580EX,430EX,90EX,​EF16-35L f/4 IS,Samy SYTS24-C 24TS,EF24-105L IS,EF50 f/1.4,EF70-200 f/4L IS,EF300 f/4L IS,EF100-400L I IS,Kenko DGX 1.4X,Canon 2X TC Mk II, RRS&Pro-Media L-Brackets,Manfrotto MHXPRO-3WG & Roller 50,Sirui 306&K-20,Giottos MT-7371&MH-3300,Velbon ElCarmagne 530,CamRanger,Phottix&​Canon Remotes,Lowepro Backpack,ThinkTank Retro 20&Modular System,OpTech straps,Lexar/San Disk Cards

Don ­ Madson
THREAD ­ STARTER
360 posts
Joined May 2005

Aug 10, 2013 12:40 |  #11

thanks, Maxdave! That's another consideration...

Don

---------------

mjHession
Goldmember
1,961 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 11, 2013 09:17 |  #12

I use the 8-16 also. However, mine is a bit of a different case. I was talking to my dad one day about how the attached lens hood gets in the way of the photos and causes more vignetting than necessary. He is a mechanic, not a photographer, and thought it would be a nice surprise to show me he ground down the lens good with his vacuum grinder (preventing metal dust from scratching lens). Honestly, I would have never done it mainly because I doubt I could sell the lens for much now and I have a tendency to swap lenses quite a bit since they hold value buying used.

The results are nice tho. I do not have any real shots, because I portion of my pictures due to a recent HD crash / recall, including my scenery folder. But here are some quick test shots. I'm not saying I recommend doing this, just showing it can be done.

All Handheld.

8mm

IMAGE: http://mjhession.smugmug.com/photos/i-WKx6L6b/0/O/i-WKx6L6b.jpg

Reads 8mm but is more like 8.5mm & f/stop reads f/5.0 wide open not f/4.5
IMAGE: http://mjhession.smugmug.com/photos/i-jM3575W/0/O/i-jM3575W.jpg

9mm
IMAGE: http://mjhession.smugmug.com/photos/i-fHWwdgN/0/O/i-fHWwdgN.jpg

Primary Gear - M6 Mark II; Σ 35mm f/1.4 A - Σ 150-600mm f/5 - 6.3 C
Canon 1.4x II & 2x II

Full Gear List - Feedback

mjHession
Goldmember
1,961 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 11, 2013 09:21 |  #13

Also, those are with no processing whatsoever. No lens correction at all. I can post more with a tripod showing FoV difference and lens correction if anyone wants. I didn't bother because I imagine no one would be daring enough to try this. I sure wouldn't be.

Canon 1.4x II & 2x II

Mike ­ Deep
Goldmember
1,907 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 11, 2013 11:48 |  #14

Matt, I'd be interested to see a picture of the lens with the modifications made.

mjHession
Goldmember
1,961 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 11, 2013 14:26 |  #15

Here you go. The Top (seen on right) is shorter than bottom. I believe this was done on purpose. The process my dad did was take a photo, grind, repeat. So I think the top needed more than the bottom off, tho it could have just ended up this way by mistake (i.e. he took more off on the top than needed). I also believe the biggest significance was the corners being taken in ( the parts of the hood that were already the shortest).

I'd like to get some black matte paint to touch it up, but haven't look into finding a sigma matching paint.

Clickable for full size if you need close inspection.

IMAGE: http://mjhession.smugmug.com/photos/i-PmG2PzN/0/X2/i-PmG2PzN-X2.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://mjhession.smugm​ug.com …PmG2PzN/0/O/i-PmG2PzN.jpg  (external link)

Canon 1.4x II & 2x II

sponsored links

3,139 views & 0 likes for this thread
1DIII and Sigma WA lenses...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.