Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 23 Jun 2013 (Sunday) 09:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

lightroom 5 speed issues

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Jul 03, 2013 01:23 |  #16

Doesn't seem any faster to me than LR 4, and seems to have problems whenever you deal with changing a lot of data, for example keywording or geotagging hundreds of images at a time. I never had that issue with LR 4.

There also seems to be a bug when you select to publish a lot of galleries at the same time. My i7 930 CPU sometimes goes to 100% utilization and images publish much slower than if I'd publish a single gallery at a time (didn't think that was the case, but did some testing on the weekend).

I'm also thinking that LR 5 has some sort of major resource leak, because it slows down to a crawl if I let it run (e.g. publishing galleries) overnight then get back to editing in the morning. Closing it and restarting seems to restore performance.

For general editing that isn't moving a ton of data (including adjustment brushes) I haven't had any problems. However the new (semi-useless) Spot Removal Brush is unacceptably laggy for me.

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

sponsored links
mraloha
44 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Jul 03, 2013 19:41 |  #17

Thanks! That is good news. I think I will try the upgrade.

DarkKnight369 wrote in post #16085200 (external link)
Lightroom 5 felt faster to me on the Mac than 4.

ShootaBike
337 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 04, 2013 05:18 |  #18

Here is a link with helpful info...

http://helpx.adobe.com …nce-hints.html?sdid=KBQWU (external link)

Cheers!

Canon EOS 7D | Canon 580EX II | Metz Mecablitz 58 AF1 | Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM | Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro | Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM |Yongnuo YN-622C | Lots to learn...
Lowepro S&F Modular Carrying System | Naneu Pro Military Ops - Bravo Backpack
C μ on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/shootabike/ (external link)

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
12,973 posts
Gallery: 616 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Jul 30, 2013 18:37 |  #19

When importing, the preview of the photos is ultra slow for me on LR5. Apart from that no noticable speed changes from 4.3 although the preview lag is driving me mad. Running on a sandybridge i7-2600k

Eddie | flickr (external link)| gear
α7R III | Mavic 2 Pro | Osmo Pocket | GoPro Hero 7 Black
Loxia 21 | FE35
16-35 GM | Tamron 28-75

professorman
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined May 2009

Aug 10, 2013 22:00 |  #20

mike_311 wrote in post #16057422 (external link)
after a bit of research it appears that the clone/heal brush is the culprit. no hardware upgrades will do the trick from what i am reading.

oh well maybe they will fix it. i guess i'll stick with LR4 and PS for my retouching.

Thanks for pointing this out. I was frustrated at how slow LR5 is, but now I realize that it slows down heavily when I am cloning/healing.

MyGear | Feedback | facebook (external link)|My Site (external link)|Flickr (external link)

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,267 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Aug 11, 2013 07:28 as a reply to  @ professorman's post |  #21

I love the straighten tool in LR5 but hate the slowdown in the clone/adjustment tools. It slows so much as to render it virtually unusable. Anyone know if it has been improved in the latest release candidate (LR5.2 rc?)

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

jenabean4
182 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 12, 2013 00:44 |  #22

mraloha wrote in post #16075406 (external link)
I haven't upgraded to Lightroom 5 on the Mac yet, and I was wondering if anyone using the OS X version of Lightroom 5 is having the same issue?

I am not having this issue on my Macbook. My brush seems to be working good and fast!

Canon 5D MII & 40D, 50 f1.4, 24-70L f2.8, 85 1.8, 580EX II Speedlite

http://www.jennadoming​ophotography.com (external link)

Aleness
641 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 13, 2013 11:36 |  #23

Dan Marchant wrote in post #16198197 (external link)
I love the straighten tool in LR5 but hate the slowdown in the clone/adjustment tools. It slows so much as to render it virtually unusable. Anyone know if it has been improved in the latest release candidate (LR5.2 rc?)

I've got the 5.2 RC and the issue hasn't been fixed. It's so painfully slow, that I'm considering a switch either to LR4 (which wasn't fast to begin with, but not to the point of complete unusability) or look into Aperture.

Bunnies will rule the world!
---------------
Websiteexternal link | Gear List & Feedback

pinolero ­ newbie
408 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 13, 2013 12:39 |  #24

Whoa, this thread gave me pause.

I'm about to upgrade from LR3 to LR5, from what I had read, it's a no brainer, anyone think otherwise?

Gear List
Feedback

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 13, 2013 14:38 |  #25

Those with performance issues, have you increased the cache size? That virtually eliminated my performance woes in LR4. It's somewhere in the settings, I think the default is 1GB but if you turn it up to something like 20GB then it all runs much better.

And, reboot at least once per day, whether you think you need it or not.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,466 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Sep 13, 2013 15:28 |  #26

pinolero newbie wrote in post #16293803 (external link)
Whoa, this thread gave me pause.

I'm about to upgrade from LR3 to LR5, from what I had read, it's a no brainer, anyone think otherwise?

I wouldn't advise buying anything without trying it first, in this case LR 5.2 RC. Some say slow, some say fast....there is only one way to know which camp you are in.

Elie / אלי

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,267 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Sep 13, 2013 19:26 as a reply to  @ tzalman's post |  #27

In the Adobe forum they said that the slow down was caused by the lens correction/straighten tool putting a load on the system, which especially manifests as slow down with the adjustment brush etc. They recommended turning of lens correction until the end of your processing. The trouble is that I always do it first because it alters things like vignetting.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

sponsored links

5,121 views & 0 likes for this thread
lightroom 5 speed issues
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.