Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 11 Aug 2013 (Sunday) 05:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D sensor marks???

pfogle
581 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Aug 11, 2013 05:53 |  #1

Hi, I've got these marks in the corner of my 5D classic, and they seem to be behind the IR/AA filter glass.

Is this fungus? Is there any way to fix this?

Any help or advice welcome!

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

sponsored links
philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 11, 2013 07:11 |  #2

I'm no expert ie: it hasn't happened to me, but every discussion of fungus and every example I've seen of it has described and shown it as exactly that, so I would say that yep, that it's pretty well guanteed that is indeed fungus.
As for a fix, I can't help you there.

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

EL_PIC
Goldmember
2,028 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 11, 2013 07:34 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

Move quickly ... the fungus is coming and will blanket the entire Earth !!
http://www.dpreview.co​m/forums/thread/305234​2 (external link)
Prevention is worth a pound of cure !

EL_PIC - RIT BS Photo '78 - Photomask Engineering Mgr
Canon DSLR - Nikon SLR - Phase One 60MP MFDSLR
http://www.Photo-Image-Creations.com (external link)
http://www.musecube.co​m/el_pic/ (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/PhotoImageCreations (external link)

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,355 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Aug 11, 2013 08:34 as a reply to  @ EL_PIC's post |  #4

Yep, that's fungus. The only thing to do would be to remove the filter and clean the actual sensor surface. This should only be done by an expert.

Mark

Narwhal
Goldmember
1,041 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 11, 2013 08:50 |  #5

Yep, fungus it is. My older Digital Rebel XT which I keep around to use in hazardous conditions (salt water spray, dust, sand, etc)has this kind of fungus. I tried to clean without success. Then I took it to the Canon rep here in Sao Paulo and they confirmed that it was fungus between the UV filter layer and the actual sensor face. The cost to clean is more than my older camera is worth.

I tried to create a negative image layer to cancel the fungus in Photo Shop. I only had partial success.

Still use the camera because other wise it works OK. The fungus is virtually invisible in most shots unless there is a light colored background like sky.

JIM

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 11, 2013 13:08 |  #6

That's fungus and you need to fix it quickly or it can infect other parts of the camera, or even the lenses you use upon it (if it hasn't already done so).

I would imaging in London you have some local camera repair people. Get the camera to them ASAP. They can tell you whether it makes more sense to replace the entire sensor assembly (after checking the rest of the camera to be sure there isn't fungus there, too). Or, there are folks who remove the AA filter for modification purposes, such as to convert the camera to IR or to leave off the AA fitler entirely for even sharper shots (but at the risk/cost of increased moiré in your images).

There are many types of fungus in the world. Some of it grows pretty quickly, likes dark and damp places. In camera gear it can permanently etch glass and ruin optical coatings. I don't imagine it's good for silicon wafers that camera sensors are made from, either.

If it were me, I would also be looking closely at any other gear you keep with the camera. Funguse can spread from one piece of gear to another. It sort of "blooms"and gives off tiny spores. I don't know if there are fungicides that can be used with camera gear to stop it. Usually it means disassembly and thorough cleaning of any infected bits with something that will kill the fungus and remove traces it's left behind.

To help prevent future problems you may want to get some sort of moisture absorbant product to keep with your gear. Not all fungus needs moisture to thrive, but a lot of it does. A packet of desiccant kept with your gear may reduce the risk of reoccurance. Hunting supply stores and others often sell a reusable type of desiccant that changes color when it's saturated with moisture, then you put it in an oven on low heat for a short time to dry it out and can reuse it over and over.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

sponsored links

1,087 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D sensor marks???
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.