Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 11 Aug 2013 (Sunday) 09:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

daytime long exposure

iamangiea
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 11, 2013 09:17 |  #1

Hi iam new to photography, i have a Canon 600d with a EF-S 18-55mm lens, and want to try daytime long exposure, i have tried a few times and failed misarable could anyone give me any tips.

I am trying to photograph the clouds from my garden. I am using live view and have ND filters 2,4,and 8 which i have used individually and stacked together.

Many thanks in advance.

sponsored links
DarenM
671 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 11, 2013 09:25 |  #2

iamangiea wrote in post #16198359 (external link)
Hi iam new to photography, i have a Canon 600d with a EF-S 18-55mm lens, and want to try daytime long exposure, i have tried a few times and failed misarable could anyone give me any tips.

I am trying to photograph the clouds from my garden. I am using live view and have ND filters 2,4,and 8 which i have used individually and stacked together.

Many thanks in advance.

Why are you trying to use long exposure? It would seem that by doing this all the clouds would be blurred.

Canon 1D MK IV, Canon 1D MK III, Canon 5D, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8 L IS MK II, 17-40 F4 Canon, 430 EX, Canon A2E, 530EX Canon 1.4 Extender, 580 II, 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT, (Way too much stuff for an amateur)

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,852 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 11, 2013 09:29 |  #3

What are you trying to accomplish and how have you failed?

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

brandrum
443 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Aug 11, 2013 09:31 |  #4

Are you having a problem with blown highlights? under expose a stop or two.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/80114487@N03/ (external link)

iamangiea
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 11, 2013 09:40 |  #5

I am trying to catch a blurry effect with the clouds. All iam getting is a completely white screen. I am very new to photography and learning slowly. I am trying to find out how to post a pic of the sort of thing i want but cant find out how to do it. any help thanks

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 11, 2013 10:04 |  #6

Sounds overexposed, which shouldn't happen on autoexposure. I'd suggest setting it to aperture priority and using a single 9 or 10 stop ND (stacking is always bad) plus a polarizer, then stop down to the smallest aperture (if you're not concerned with diffraction).

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

dpds68
Goldmember
1,464 posts
Joined May 2008

Aug 11, 2013 10:15 |  #7

What mode and settings are you using ?

David

Gripped Canon 7D,20D,XT / Tamron 17-50mm 2.8, Canon 85mm f1.8 , 70-200 2.8L,EF50mm1.8 II,Sigma 150-500mm OS, Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6
Vivitar285Hv x2,Canon430EX,Nissin Di866,CTR-301P Triggers,
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dpds68/ (external link)

Elfstop
720 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Aug 11, 2013 10:20 |  #8

Tony-S wrote in post #16198431 (external link)
Sounds overexposed, which shouldn't happen on autoexposure. I'd suggest setting it to aperture priority and using a single 9 or 10 stop ND (stacking is always bad) plus a polarizer, then stop down to the smallest aperture (if you're not concerned with diffraction).

Rally? This is supposed to help him?

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 11, 2013 10:39 |  #9

Whut?

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

iamangiea
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 11, 2013 11:46 as a reply to  @ Tony-S's post |  #10

Hi i was trying a variety of settings, going by different ideas from the internet. The first one i watched was on you tube and they used iso 100, f11 for 2 mins. as that was rubbish i just kept trying different settings, still awful. Was out there 2 hours today given up for now i will have ago again in a few days i am determined to chieve it. Thanks .

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 11, 2013 12:11 |  #11

What camera and lens are you using?

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,852 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 11, 2013 12:40 |  #12

iamangiea wrote in post #16198638 (external link)
Hi i was trying a variety of settings, going by different ideas from the internet. The first one i watched was on you tube and they used iso 100, f11 for 2 mins. as that was rubbish i just kept trying different settings, still awful. Was out there 2 hours today given up for now i will have ago again in a few days i am determined to chieve it. Thanks .

Those settings would blow out the sky even with your ND filters. A "normal" exposure for sky using ISO 100 would be somewhere around 1/100 @ f16. For your 2 stop ND try ISO 100, 1/25 @ f16. For the 4 stop change shutter to 1/6, for the 8 stop change shutter to about 2.5 seconds. Bump the SS either up or down in small increments to fine tune for the effect you desire.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 11, 2013 14:41 |  #13

iamangiea wrote in post #16198638 (external link)

I'd look again at that YouTube thing. I can't imagine a two-minute daytime exposure producing anything other than a white screen. I suspect that you mistook the settings!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 11, 2013 14:48 |  #14

tonylong wrote in post #16199001 (external link)
I'd look again at that YouTube thing. I can't imagine a two-minute daytime exposure producing anything other than a white screen. I suspect that you mistook the settings!

Tony, with about 1o-12 stops you can get a 4 minute or so exposure depending on time of day/cloud cover, etc.

I think what the OP needs right now is a solid understanding of the exposure triangle. Throwing settings into the camera without knowing what they do, why the other person used them, or under what conditions, is a surefire way to fail. The camera has a meter built in for a reason.

http://www.amazon.com …Photographs/dp/​0817439390 (external link)

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 11, 2013 16:16 |  #15

Scatterbrained wrote in post #16199015 (external link)
Tony, with about 1o-12 stops you can get a 4 minute or so exposure depending on time of day/cloud cover, etc.

I think what the OP needs right now is a solid understanding of the exposure triangle. Throwing settings into the camera without knowing what they do, why the other person used them, or under what conditions, is a surefire way to fail. The camera has a meter built in for a reason.

http://www.amazon.com …Photographs/dp/​0817439390 (external link)

Yeah, if you had some massive ND filtering, sure...:)!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

sponsored links

3,828 views & 0 likes for this thread
daytime long exposure
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.