Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 09 Aug 2013 (Friday) 10:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Wedding/Event Shooter, Hood or Hoodless

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,578 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 10, 2013 16:49 as a reply to  @ post 16196881 |  #16

I respect Lloyds opinion but for me its hoods on. You should see the condition of my hoods after 3-4 yrs of use. The are banged to crap. They take a lot of hits because i usually carry 2 cameras with me and im constantly bumping them against something. I would rather replace hoods now and then v/s what would happen to a lens w/o a hood cover for me. Hoods just save my butt too much to risk not using them.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
CAPSLOCK939
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 10, 2013 21:33 |  #17

As many have already posted, I use the hoods for protection for hectic weddings. This past weekend, I was running across the street in downtown Dallas to get a shot of the bride and groom crossing and when I turned to get the shot, one of my cameras crashed to the pavement. The screw of the holster came lose and my camera w/70-200 hit hood first. Totally my fault, but the hood took the damage and nothing happened to the camera/lens. The incident was also reassurance of why I always have back-up gear.

Mariel & Joey | Wedding Photography (external link)
Mariel & Joey |Blog (external link)
facebook (external link)

ElectronGuru
427 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 11, 2013 00:51 |  #18

Hoodless:

https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=16173117#po​st16173117

"Light is the paint, lenses are brush, sensors are the canvas"
6D | 100L Macro | 50L | 24L TSE
Builder of custom flashlights, OVEREADY.com (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Aug 11, 2013 01:00 |  #19

I use hoods all the time but a partner I sometimes shoot for doesn't. I think she's nuts for not being extra protected and she thinks I'm nuts for walking around with lenses 2x longer than they need to be. :D

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,399 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 11, 2013 07:11 |  #20

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #16195185 (external link)
The hoods come off?

bw!

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

Tigerkn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,059 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 11, 2013 16:15 |  #21

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #16195185 (external link)
The hoods come off?

scorpio_e wrote in post #16198177 (external link)
bw!

English is my 2nd Language so you pls break it down for me. thx.

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Gears (external link)

Tigerkn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,059 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 11, 2013 16:23 |  #22

Base on Lloyd's details info of going hoodless and capless for 6 years, I just removed all my hoods and caps (see Lloyd's post #15 for Pro & Con). So many advantages and the only thing I need to keep in mind is "be careful" :). Thanks Lloyd!

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Gears (external link)

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 11, 2013 18:40 |  #23

gonzogolf wrote in post #16194023 (external link)
Always hooded for the extra protection. You dont really need the hood inside for flare reduction in most cases, but its nice to ward off the extra dings you might encounter in a crowd

This.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

Staszek
Goldmember
3,605 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 11, 2013 21:43 |  #24

Thomas Campbell wrote in post #16199435 (external link)
This.

I bang my lenses on everything while covering sports, politics, and weddings. I am confident the lenses would see less beatings if I removed the hoods, but I prefer the added plastic protection of the hood. I'd rather hit the plastic hood 10,000 times than hit the glass once.

SOSKIphoto (external link) | Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link)| Instagram (external link)
Shooting with big noisy cameras and a bag of primes.

georgebowman
Goldmember
1,510 posts
Joined May 2009

Aug 11, 2013 23:20 |  #25

I always shot with a hood when I did weddings. However, they do get in the way at times. I guess it's a personal thing. I don't use the Canon hood on my 70-200 f4L when I'm trying to capture people on the street or at events. That long hood is a dead giveaway and people really get spooked. Again, it's a personal thing.

My Gear: 7d, XTi, 17-55f2.8 EF-S, 70-200f4L, 28-135 Kit lens, 2-580EXii

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,562 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 12, 2013 10:58 |  #26

Tigerkn wrote in post #16199197 (external link)
Base on Lloyd's details info of going hoodless and capless for 6 years, I just removed all my hoods and caps (see Lloyd's post #15 for Pro & Con). So many advantages and the only thing I need to keep in mind is "be careful" :). Thanks Lloyd!

haha no prob! You may be pleasantly surprised how much faster and free you feel! And in the very case where might actually break the front element (VERY unlikely) you'll be surprised that front elements are usually surprisingly quite affordable to replace. Say hello to better flare control. Shielding with your hand takes a bit of practice, but it works so much better in the end.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

rincon
240 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 12, 2013 11:37 |  #27

Lens hoods 100% of the time for me. That being said, I am not one to generally change lenses often. I Shoot with zooms, 28-70 on one body and 70-200 on a second body.

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 12, 2013 12:00 |  #28

I use hoods on all of my lenses but for the 50mm 1.8, which I don't really care about protecting (if it explodes I'll just pop a backup 50mm on).

I once made the grave error of leaving my 70-200 f/4 on the hood of a car during an extracurricular shoot at some abandoned house. I drove away and at 60km/hour heard the clunk off the back of the car. I found my lens hood cracked right through, and my lens, which had cartwheeled on the concrete, in a nearby puddle. I let the lens dry, blew the sand out and the lens is back to 100%. I've since shot about 30 weddings with it.

I am certain that but for that hood, my lens was toast. Given that I know that I'm prone to stupidity at times, I consider keeping the hoods on to be good insurance.

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

RichardStevens
123 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Aug 13, 2013 06:40 |  #29

Hood on all the time for protection indoors and lens flare / rain drop protection outdoors.

It also makes the lenses look good and commands more respect from the papperazzi :).

G: Canon 7D | 60D | 70-200 F4 L | 580 EX II x2
G: Sigma 17-50 F2.8 EX OS HSM | 50-150 F2.8 EX OS HSM | 35 F1.4 EX HSM
W: Facebook (external link) |Website (external link) |Twitter (external link)

amirg
532 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 13, 2013 10:45 as a reply to  @ RichardStevens's post |  #30

Hoods on all the time for the extra peace of mind.

http://www.twilightand​tulle.com (external link)
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

4,873 views & 0 likes for this thread
Wedding/Event Shooter, Hood or Hoodless
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.