Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 11 Aug 2013 (Sunday) 12:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

how do you deal with stress on wedding day?

picard
Goldmember
1,996 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 11, 2013 12:45 |  #1

Canon 1DM4,7D, Rebel XT
580 EX II, 430 EX II
Canon 70-200mm IS II L , Canon 85mm F1.2 L II, Canon macro 100mm F/2.8, 18-55mm kit
Sigma 18-200mm F/3.5-5.6, Sigma 10-22mm, Sigma 50mm F/1.4
Sigma 24-70mm F/2.8 EX DG HSM

sponsored links
Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 11, 2013 15:27 |  #2

In the middle of a wedding yesterday the mirror on my 5d classic just flew off. Rather than remark about it or show any sign of concern, I simply noted what had happened and realized there was literally nothing I could do about it at that time; so I just put that camera in my bag and shot the wedding with one of my backups.

All of this to say: I reduce stress by making sure it doesn't creep in in the first place. To this end, I:
-bring plenty of backup equipment
-do a lot of background work, e.g. viewing the venue, deciding where I want to shoot
-go into the shoot with a specific set of poses / ideas I'd like to accomplish. I try to be spontaneous as well, but it's relieving to know that you have fall-back options always
-I show up to the venue early--causing time to be compressed more than it already will be due to other factors is stressful.

What stresses you out on the wedding day ?

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 11, 2013 18:23 |  #3

I don't find it that stressful. Everyone is happy. There is cake and wine and steak and beer.

If I blow a shot, no one will die and likely no one will notice.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 11, 2013 18:43 |  #4

I'm with Thomas. I don't get stressed at weddings. In fact I'd say I am in an even more relaxed state then normal.

If you are well organised and prepared there should be no reason to stress. Things will go wrong, plans won't always happen. But how you deal with that is the key.

If there was a stress on a wedding day it is making the decision... chicken or beef.

Peter

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,580 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 11, 2013 18:43 as a reply to  @ Thomas Campbell's post |  #5

Weddings are stressful:eek::p

Some of us live for this stuff. Ive never felt stressed. Ive felt rushed and pissed because a bridal party has blown a timeline to crap, but, never stressed.

Do enough of these things and you get into your routine and everything tends to flow like clockwork. I love doing weddings and being around the families. I also love the challenge of trying to get those great shots for print competitions and looking for stuff thats not part of the routine. So for me, its just not stressful. They are lots of fun for me.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,340 posts
Gallery: 205 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 11, 2013 19:12 as a reply to  @ umphotography's post |  #6

Masturbate?

I dunno, maybe that's just me.

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Flickr 2 (external link)...
Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

jcolman
Goldmember
2,622 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 11, 2013 20:56 |  #7

LV Moose wrote in post #16199496 (external link)
Masturbate?

I tried it once but it seem to upset the bride. Maybe I shouldn't have done while she was getting ready?

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.com (external link)

LV ­ Moose
23,340 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 11, 2013 20:59 |  #8

jcolman wrote in post #16199757 (external link)
I tried it once but it seem to upset the bride. Maybe I shouldn't have done while she was getting ready?

I don't know, that seems like the perfect time. You don't have to pull from the spank bank.

Moose

Aircraft (external link)

georgebowman
Goldmember
1,510 posts
Joined May 2009

Aug 11, 2013 23:36 |  #9

Very funny guys! I used to get stressed out preparing. I'm an old film photographer and shot for over 30 years. I only did 5 weddings in digital before I pulled the plug. However, having plenty of backup equipment and casing the join prior to the wedding helps alleviate the stress. As with Christopher, "sh_t" happens. However, if you're prepared it's no big deal. You have to keep it light when things go south. Otherwise your clients are going to pick up on that and everyone is going to worry. It's their special day and they should be the center of attention,not some upset or angry photographer. Oh, and a few beers at the reception helps a bunch!

My Gear: 7d, XTi, 17-55f2.8 EF-S, 70-200f4L, 28-135 Kit lens, 2-580EXii

ScullenCrossBones
842 posts
Joined May 2009

Aug 12, 2013 08:53 |  #10

I consider myself a calming influence on the those that are stressed around us. It's not unusual to have a bride hug me and my wife once we arrive telling everyone how beautiful they look and how everything looks so perfect.

No matter what happens, we try to bring a positive energy and spread that as best we can. It really helps reduce the stress.

:p Gear
Mama done took my Kodachrome away...

Tigerkn
Goldmember
4,059 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 12, 2013 09:37 |  #11

Alcohol takes stress away since 1830 ;).
I take it as every wedding runs 1.5 hours behind schedule so if it does exceed 1.5 hours behind the schedule, I am ahead the schedule :).

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Gears (external link)

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 12, 2013 15:19 |  #12

I don't have that much stress at all because I love weddings. I'd rather shoot weddings than anything, I have a blast shooting them. However with that said, this past Saturday's outdoor wedding almost made me want to do only portraits, a bridezilla could not old a candle to this one..first one I have ever had this bad. But I made it a day to enjoy myself and went home with a smile.

rincon
240 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 12, 2013 16:39 |  #13

My stress comes on the night before when I am double-checking all my batteries, memory cards, cleaning lenses, etc. Once that is all done and I am satified that I am ready, my stress level goes to pretty much zero. I generally do not stress on that day of - I know that a wedding is a moving target and what will happen will happen. I make the best of it and enjoy the day. I suppose that it helps that I truly LOVE doing weddings and I am really in my element once the day begins.

picard
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,996 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 12, 2013 18:53 |  #14

LV Moose wrote in post #16199496 (external link)
Masturbate?

I already did it but there was no climatic ending :(:(:o

Canon 1DM4,7D, Rebel XT
580 EX II, 430 EX II
Canon 70-200mm IS II L , Canon 85mm F1.2 L II, Canon macro 100mm F/2.8, 18-55mm kit
Sigma 18-200mm F/3.5-5.6, Sigma 10-22mm, Sigma 50mm F/1.4
Sigma 24-70mm F/2.8 EX DG HSM

LV ­ Moose
23,340 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 12, 2013 18:57 as a reply to  @ picard's post |  #15

well that's gotta be frustrating. :(

Moose

Aircraft (external link)

sponsored links

2,209 views & 0 likes for this thread
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.