Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 12 Aug 2013 (Monday) 18:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Really annoyed right now - Amazon seller issue.

Jensgt
908 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 12, 2013 18:03 |  #1

I put my Sigma 150-500mm on Amazon a while back and somebody purchased it on Saturday. I was out of town and got back yesterday. This morning I went and shipped it from the UPS store. I got a $7.50 shipping credit but it ended up costing me $47 for shipping, insurance and packaging. I confirmed shipping and e-mailed the buyer.

Half hour ago I get an email...

"the zoom lens was for a Nikon not a cannon."

And then an order cancellation request...

"I ordered a sigma lens for a Nikon camera and not a connon camera. I do not own a cannon. ship a lens for a Nikon d7000"

Um...I am not a store, I can't send you one for a Nikon, you ordered a Canon. He should have received an email when he purchased it and he could have cancelled at that time and caused me zero grief.

So now I am trying to figure out what to do. Called UPS trying to stop the package..it was picked up from the store at 5pm...2 hours ago. They may be able to grab it there but if they can't and it needs intercepted anywhere else it will cost $17. So now I am up to $64 to get my lens back.

The money (minus Amazon fees) is in my account, and if I click refund it shows I can refund the entire amount...but I am not doing this unless I am able to keep that portion of the money that I am out at this point...either 47 or 64 bucks. A little confused on how this all works. He is not seeing a dime until the lens is back in my hands though.

How hard is it to check what you are buying, read an email? Ugh. I should have just stuck to selling on here.

1Dx 7D 500 f4L 70-200 f2.8L II 24-70 f2.8L II 100 f2.8L IS Macro 85 1.2L II
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/jenniferallwin​e/ (external link)

sponsored links
Luxornv
223 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Aug 12, 2013 20:22 |  #2

I guess hope you didn't pack it all that well and it gets broken. You get the money from the insurance on it, and the idiot doesn't get the wrong lens.

Canon Rebel T3i - 18-55mm Kit lens- Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 - Rokinon 8mm Fish Eye - Canon 40mm f/2.8 Pancake - Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

Jensgt
THREAD ­ STARTER
908 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 12, 2013 20:38 |  #3

LOL...I don't really want it to get broken. I got insurance on it though. I will be putting it up for sale here as soon as I get it back.

Oh and of course UPS did not call me. Shocker.

Rankinia
449 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 12, 2013 23:17 |  #4

If you got the money for it, and he got the lens as advertised.... Not really your problme

1ds, 30d, 17-40/4 180/3.5, mt-24, 580ex2
http://adamrose.wordpr​ess.com (external link)

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,738 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 12, 2013 23:41 |  #5

Rankinia wrote in post #16203224 (external link)
If you got the money for it, and he got the lens as advertised.... Not really your problme

My thoughts exactly. As long as the description stated that it was for Canon then I'd tell him to suck an egg and read next time!

YamahaRob
571 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 13, 2013 01:01 |  #6

gremlin75 wrote in post #16203268 (external link)
My thoughts exactly. As long as the description stated that it was for Canon then I'd tell him to suck an egg and read next time!

+1

Too many people dont read the ad anyways then get ticked when its not "what they thought". Also alot of buyers now think they can get their money back from a private sale if they dont like or want it anymore (thanks to ebay and their garbage). Heck there was some idiot on craigslist rants and raves whining about a seller wouldnt take a return on something they bought at a RUMMAGE SALE.:rolleyes:

Never had someone buy something from me and want their money back 2 weeks later until the last 2-3 years. Kid who bought my old truck wanted to return it a few weeks after he bought it because it was too much work to fix it. "Uh no, I told you what needed fixing, even tried to talk you out of buying it (as his dad was also) because I felt it was too much for you. Gave you a LAUNDRY list of issues and the new parts I just bought for it. You paid $300 for it and I jsut tossed in the $300 topper on top of it and you have the nerve to ask for your money back? Sorry Junior, you signed the bill of sale that lists all the issues.":rolleyes:

Rob
Nikon D300
Canon AE-1P (it becomes digital when pics are scanned in with a scanner:lol:)

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 13, 2013 04:09 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

Jensgt wrote in post #16202416 (external link)
I put my Sigma 150-500mm on Amazon a while back and somebody purchased it on Saturday. I was out of town and got back yesterday. This morning I went and shipped it from the UPS store. I got a $7.50 shipping credit but it ended up costing me $47 for shipping, insurance and packaging. I confirmed shipping and e-mailed the buyer.

Half hour ago I get an email...

"the zoom lens was for a Nikon not a cannon."

And then an order cancellation request...

"I ordered a sigma lens for a Nikon camera and not a connon camera. I do not own a cannon. ship a lens for a Nikon d7000"

Um...I am not a store, I can't send you one for a Nikon, you ordered a Canon. He should have received an email when he purchased it and he could have cancelled at that time and caused me zero grief.

So now I am trying to figure out what to do. Called UPS trying to stop the package..it was picked up from the store at 5pm...2 hours ago. They may be able to grab it there but if they can't and it needs intercepted anywhere else it will cost $17. So now I am up to $64 to get my lens back.

The money (minus Amazon fees) is in my account, and if I click refund it shows I can refund the entire amount...but I am not doing this unless I am able to keep that portion of the money that I am out at this point...either 47 or 64 bucks. A little confused on how this all works. He is not seeing a dime until the lens is back in my hands though.

How hard is it to check what you are buying, read an email? Ugh. I should have just stuck to selling on here.

You have to stipulate on your seller's page that the lens is for a Canon fit, people will make any excuse under the sun if they are not pleased with the lens, not saying anything about you, it is probably they weren't happy or were just testing it for their own ends and therefore started making excuses as to why they want a refund

neilwood32
Cream of the Crop
6,231 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 13, 2013 07:43 |  #8

Speaking as a non legally trained person here so bear that in mind.

If the item was correctly described as a Canon lens and he clicked to purchase it, then the sale has been made in good faith. Lack of care on his part does not constitute sufficient reason to void the transaction. In this event, he should be responsible for all postal charges.

If, on the other hand, there was no description as to the fit, then there would be sufficient grounds to void the transaction as the description was too open.

Having a camera makes you no more a photographer than having a hammer and some nails makes you a carpenter - Claude Adams
Keep calm and carry a camera!
My Gear

edge100
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 13, 2013 07:54 |  #9

I agree with the others: as long as you said it was for Canon, it's his fault and will learn to be more careful next time. I wouldn't refund a dime.

Street and editorial photography in Toronto, Canada (external link)
Mirrorless: Fujifilm X-Pro1
Film: Leica MP | Leica M2 | CV Nokton 35/1.4 | CV Nokton 40 f/1.4 | Leitz Summitar 50 f/2 | Canon 50 f/1.2 LTM | Mamiya 7 | Mamiya 80 f/4.0 | Mamiya 150 f/4.5 | Mamiya 43 f/4.5
How to get good colour from C-41 film scans (external link)

Digitizing film with a digital camera (external link)

Jensgt
THREAD ­ STARTER
908 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 13, 2013 10:15 |  #10

It was marked as Canon. You have to pay attention...on the Amazon page for the lens you need to click on what mount you want...also when he purchased it he would have got an email and it clearly states Canon mount in the title of the email. Amazon is very good about this.

He has not received it and tried it and all that I would never accept a refund if it had been touched by anyone. He cancelled the order 2 hours or something after I shipped the damn thing. I can risk it by letting it travel all the way to him and what if he denies the shipment? What if he requests a refund from Amazon and never sends it back. I know he does not want it...so I am not risking the lens in his hands hoping for the best.

Unfortunately now I have to deal with the giant piece of crap that is UPS. I contacted them less than 2 hours after the package was picked up from the store. They said they would try to stop it at that main local location and call back in an hour. Never heard back from them...SHOCKER. The lens has gone now from Landover, MD where it sat until almost midnight last night....to Laurel, MD to Fishersville, VA and is now on its way to who knows where.

I called UPS this morning and she was pretty much useless. Told me to call the store and have him handle it. Asked for a supervisor...they are all busy one will call me in an hour. A likely story. So the UPS store guy is now on the case.

This should have been easy to handle without the lens leaving the state. I am really unhappy about this.

moose10101
registered smartass
1,745 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2010

Aug 13, 2013 10:23 |  #11

How easy is it on Amazon for the buyer to force a return/refund?

Jensgt
THREAD ­ STARTER
908 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 13, 2013 10:58 |  #12

apparently pretty easy. I spoke to someone at Amazon yesterday and they said once I get the package back then I can refund the buyer minus the out of pocket costs I paid to ship the thing. They said that it is possible the buyer will then file an a-z claim saying I did not fully refund in which case I need to keep all these emails with the buyer agreeing that its ok for him to get a partial refund.

It seems like there is a lot of protection there for the buyer but not for the seller.

KirkS518
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 13, 2013 13:23 |  #13

I'd keep pressing UPS to stop the shipment. They can do it. Then I'd refund the buyer the amount of the lens minus cost to ship minus cost to stop/return. Keep records of everything.

If steroids are illegal for athletes, should PS be illegal for models?
Digital - 50D, 20D IR Conv, 9 Lenses from 8mm to 300mm
Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

john5189
598 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 13, 2013 13:46 |  #14

As long as the lens was correctly described then you should be Ok

UK amazon allows a partial refund of any amount.

Email the dimwit purchasor and tell them that when they get the item they should return it UNOPENED- or is refusing to accept delivery OK in your coUntry?

Tell him what your postage and insurance charge is and they are going to have to accept this as their mistake.
If he decides he does not like this, then tell him to resell the lens himself.

Amazon are strict mainly on NEW goods where the seller has to take a return with NO questions asked.

Hassle like this happens, be pragmatic- if you dont loose out financially; accept time lost to 'eejits'

BTW UPS is usually fantastic at delivering items. Call centre operators they ar not.

Wedding Photography in Herefordshire.  (external link)

Jensgt
THREAD ­ STARTER
908 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 14, 2013 22:39 |  #15

Guys...I am about to lose my mind. This package should have been stopped Monday. It sat in landover for HOURS after I requested they stop the shipment. It moved on...I called Tuesday and they said they had started the intercept. The tracking shows that its supposed to come back to me.

The lens continues on...it just checked in at Houston, TX...where the buyer lives. I am now waiting for a UPS live chat person. It's a joke...they are COMPLETELY USELESS. What kind of business do these people run??

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 403 | MIME changed to 'text/plain'

sponsored links

4,933 views & 0 likes for this thread
Really annoyed right now - Amazon seller issue.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.