Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Aug 2013 (Saturday) 22:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Upgrade 450D to 40D or 50D??

Ralph ­ III
Goldmember
1,342 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 12, 2013 20:30 |  #31

Mavgirl wrote in post #16202238 (external link)
I get what you're saying here. And it might have been more helpful if you'd said it that plainly earlier on and several long posts could have been avoided. And I would have suggested you re-read my original post. LOL

It's all cool Mavgirl.;)

I would like to clarify something though...

I was giving an opinion based upon my experiences as well! I've dealt with similar situations as the OP is inquiring, as noted. I also listed and put into perspective the entire history of Canon's DSLR cameras.

On the other hand you never offered such. You simply made some statements and then offered nothing to back them up nor any context, as you never said what you shoot or why your burst rate upgrade was negligible, albeit doubled?

I never said the 40d would (in fact) be sufficient for him but it will prove to be a major upgrade over his camera. It's the second fastest APS-C camera Canon has ever made. All the camera's mentioned will be a big upgrade for him as he desires to use them.

I wholeheartedly agree with you though!:D Many people do use burst shooting in "hopes" of getting their one great shot. I rarely use it but when I do it's for an entire sequence of images. I always use "Single" shot mode and rely on my timing to get my desired images. It's saves a lot of post processing....

God Bless,
Ralph

"SOUTHERN and SAVED!"
POTN FEEDBACK...............ITEMS FOR SALE

sponsored links
Ralph ­ III
Goldmember
1,342 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 12, 2013 21:41 as a reply to  @ Ralph III's post |  #32

double post, sorry............

"SOUTHERN and SAVED!"

Heycoop ­ Photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
507 posts
Joined May 2012

Aug 12, 2013 22:49 |  #33

Ralph III wrote in post #16202203 (external link)
BINGO! That's the point I'm trying to make.

It's not like the OP is going from a very solid 40d or 50d in wanting something that offers greater burst speed and a superior focus system and/or improved ISO. In that case, it would make sense for a person to upgrade to a 7d or even a very expensive EOS 1d.

The OP however, is going to experience a significant improvement no matter which of those camera's he chooses! Because his camera isn't suited for sports in comparison to any of those.

He may end up getting the 7d but I don't think it proper to encourage him to leapfrog over other superior camera's and paying more, because he was convinced the others were somehow not a good enough upgrade.

---------------

It's kinda like the old movie Stallone and Winkler played in before they were famous (Lords of Flatbush) in which the Jewelry Store salesman took one of the guys girlfriends and immediately showed her the most expensive ring in the store, when they came in to look for engagement rings. Well of course she fell in love with that one and there was no hope for the poor lad in getting her to look at a less expensive one after that. He coud have punched the salesman...:)

See ya,
Ralph

Well you were right.

I have just purchased a 7D. I just had enough money, and thought it would be better to upgrade once and for all, rather than say buy a 50D, yet in another year want a 7D.

Thanks for all your help guys, much appreciated :)

Will be happy to do a review between the 450D and 7D if anyone wants one?

Body: Canon 450D Gripped
Lenses: Canon 70-200 F4 L, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 1.4x Tele Converter
Check out my Facebook Page (external link) (dedicated to my racing, not photographing), and give it a like!!

georgebowman
Goldmember
1,510 posts
Joined May 2009

Aug 12, 2013 23:58 |  #34

You will love the 7d. It's a terrific camera. From what I've heard from others, the AF system is better on the 7d than the 6d. Good luck!

My Gear: 7d, XTi, 17-55f2.8 EF-S, 70-200f4L, 28-135 Kit lens, 2-580EXii

mccamli
591 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 13, 2013 09:04 as a reply to  @ georgebowman's post |  #35

Congratulations!

You might find that the burst speed is so fast you'll struggle to limit shots to one pic. That said, I find it's often my second shot that's the best!

Flickr (external link)
500PX (external link)
Facebook (external link)

paparios
500 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 13, 2013 09:33 |  #36

Heycoop Photography wrote in post #16197602 (external link)
Just wondering if it would be worthwhile upgrading my 450D to a 40D or 50D. Shoot mainly motorsport, have found that I have been limited by 4fps and the focusing could be better. I am definately starting to reach the limits of my 450D

I can get a 40D for $400NZD (320 USD) and a 50D for $600 (~500USD)

Would love any feedback, especially if people have had both these bodies. Thanks!

I have the 50D and have used the 40D. Both are excellent bodies, but the 50D is better in many aspects. It has lens microadjust, a better display, 15 versus 10 megapixels, a reasonable ISO6400 and, with the Magic Lantern firmware, it can shoot full HD video (without sound).

Miguel

Canon 5D MKII, Sony A7, Canon EOS M, Canon 7D, Sony A6000, Canon 50d with grip, Canon 400D with grip, Bower 14 f2.8, Bower 35 f1.4, EF 40 f2.8, Tokina 12-24 f4, EFM-22 f2 STM, EFM 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS STM, EFS 18-55 f3.5-5.6, Tamron 28-75 f2.8, EF 85 f1.8, EF 100 f2.8L IS, EF 70-200 f4L IS, EF 75-300 f4-5.6, Sigma 150-500 f5-6.3, Sony E 16-50, Sony FE 28-70

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 13, 2013 11:24 |  #37

Heycoop Photography wrote in post #16203159 (external link)
I have just purchased a 7D.

a good upgrade

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,399 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 13, 2013 11:34 |  #38

Congrats on the camera. You made the right choice:) The Faster FPS-MA-Focusing are all area's you will enjoy experiencing a significant improvement. The OCF abilities that you can play around with will be fun too.

ENJOY!!!

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

Ralph ­ III
Goldmember
1,342 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 13, 2013 20:49 |  #39

Heycoop Photography wrote in post #16203159 (external link)
Well you were right.

I have just purchased a 7D. I just had enough money, and thought it would be better to upgrade once and for all, rather than say buy a 50D, yet in another year want a 7D.

Thanks for all your help guys, much appreciated :)

Will be happy to do a review between the 450D and 7D if anyone wants one?

Congrats Heycoop. You've gotten a smoking hot camera and it will be a new experience, especially in regards to any Sports shooting you do.

Yes, please do a comparison between the two camera's with your own impression, as folks always find that interesting. Start a new thread for that.

Have fun,
Ralph

"SOUTHERN and SAVED!"

sponsored links

4,558 views & 0 likes for this thread
Upgrade 450D to 40D or 50D??
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.